Author Topic: Missile-Based Cryogenics... Terraforming? For Colonizing!? YEEESSS.  (Read 6778 times)

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
Re: Missile-Based Cryogenics... Terraforming? For Colonizing!? YEEESSS.
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 06:36:21 AM »
A perfectly nice discussion of putting colonists inside a missile and shooting it at a planetoid. Not gonna lie, it sounds rather cool (if rather tedious) to do EVERY action with missiles. Survey, Terraform, Transport, Colonize, Garrison.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 08:31:35 PM »
@Ranged66

That's rather unhelpful... and rude.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 01:31:26 AM »
@Ranged66

Yeah I am gonna pile on here, this ain't 4Chan man, be nice, if you don't like the idea then either just ignore it and move on or do what some of the rest of us are doing and either suggest modifications that might be neat or have fun with how ridiculous the idea is, there is no call for put downs.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 01:32:25 AM »
I question the actual usefulness, but the idea of an opposed colonization effort does sound vaguely hilarious to me.

e: so it just hit me, what about missile drop pods for infantry and such? that could be pretty cool, thematically speaking.  huge launch tubes filled with mechs and tanks and troops and stuff.

https://youtu.be/kyIMegaOxyg?t=42
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 01:35:24 AM by QuakeIV »

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 01:42:06 AM »
I question the actual usefulness, but the idea of an opposed colonization effort does sound vaguely hilarious to me.

e: so it just hit me, what about missile drop pods for infantry and such? that could be pretty cool, thematically speaking.  huge launch tubes filled with mechs and tanks and troops and stuff.

https://youtu.be/kyIMegaOxyg?t=42

I assume that's just the combat drop pod modules.

The following users thanked this post: xenoscepter

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 02:26:28 AM »
@Tree

I was just about to say that.

@All

Yeah, I thought it was a nifty idea for an after-project, once Steve finishes C#. I like the idea of a giant orbital MLRS that launches these to budding planets, it's pretty cool. As for a use-case, Missile Tubes are weapons, Cryogenic Transport Modules are not. From colonizing to ass-kicking with the swap of a mag.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »
I mean, insofar as you don't have as much control over those as you do missiles.

Offline Rabid_Cog

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2019, 07:13:37 AM »
Now you are making me imagine ways one could weaponize Cryogenic Transport Modules.

Stasis missile, anyone?
I have my own subforum now!
Shameless plug for my own Aurora story game:
5.6 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4988.0.html
6.2 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5906.0.html

Feel free to post comments!
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5452.0.html

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2019, 05:14:01 PM »
You'd need a damn lot of missiles is all I'll say.

Though a nifty way to get intelligence teams onto an enemy colony...
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2019, 09:33:15 PM »
My first reaction to the idea is why exactly would they need to be missiles with their own propulsion and other guidance system launched at destinations?

We're already launching thousands upon thousands of tons of minerals at a time from mass drivers from one planet to another and having them arrive safely at the destination. So if a civilisation was so inclined why wouldn't they simply develop more sturdy shipping coffins that hold 1 person with enough internal systems just to keep the occupant alive. And then the planetary mass drivers could launch thousands of colonists at a time at the destination.

At the end of the day, solving the 'surviving launching people in space coffins from mass drivers' engineering problem would probably be more efficient and practical then developing a consumable one-use intelligent human missile system approach.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 09:36:13 PM by Tikigod »
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2019, 03:16:43 PM »
My first reaction to the idea is why exactly would they need to be missiles with their own propulsion and other guidance system launched at destinations?

We're already launching thousands upon thousands of tons of minerals at a time from mass drivers from one planet to another and having them arrive safely at the destination. So if a civilisation was so inclined why wouldn't they simply develop more sturdy shipping coffins that hold 1 person with enough internal systems just to keep the occupant alive. And then the planetary mass drivers could launch thousands of colonists at a time at the destination.

At the end of the day, solving the 'surviving launching people in space coffins from mass drivers' engineering problem would probably be more efficient and practical then developing a consumable one-use intelligent human missile system approach.

Well without another mass driver to catch them, mass driver packets are orbital bombardment...

Hmmm an option to just launch packets of rock from mass drivers,  use them for Actual Moon is a Harsh Mistress style bombardment...

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2019, 06:32:34 PM »
Sorry.  Aurora Mass Drivers can't move 'rock'.  The trans-newtonian physics they operate on can only hurl TN elements.  You'll have to bombard your enemy with expensive minerals, not free dirt.

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2019, 07:49:43 AM »
Good point, but as long as the minerals can be recovered again after there are no more aliens infesting the planet that is still a way better investment than building ships & missiles out of them to do the same job.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2019, 03:00:51 PM »
Sorry.  Aurora Mass Drivers can't move 'rock'.  The trans-newtonian physics they operate on can only hurl TN elements.  You'll have to bombard your enemy with expensive minerals, not free dirt.

why?

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2019, 08:06:57 PM »

And if you have a human meatbag encased in a single occupant sized TN element composed space coffin?
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement