Author Topic: Database size question  (Read 1395 times)

Offline hseldon (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • h
Database size question
« on: April 22, 2011, 07:45:08 PM »
What happens if the database gets too big?

I'm 116 years in and my database is 1.  2 gigs.    I've tried compacting it but always get error 429 "ActiveX component can't create object" followed by a string of error 3420 "Object invalid or no longer set".    Aurora then closes and the database is still the same size.  

It would be a shame if I couldn't continue the game.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Database size question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 07:57:15 PM »
What happens if the database gets too big?

I'm 116 years in and my database is 1.  2 gigs.    I've tried compacting it but always get error 429 "ActiveX component can't create object" followed by a string of error 3420 "Object invalid or no longer set".    Aurora then closes and the database is still the same size.  

It would be a shame if I couldn't continue the game.

My recollection is that there's a 2gig limit on DB size.  On the error you're seeing, are you using Windows 7 or Vista?  There's been some weird problems with the way their permissions system interacts with the installer - I wonder if similar issues might show up with the compator.

Another (random) thought:  I have a VERY vague recollection that the compactor might create a new, compact, DB in another location, rather than stomping your existing one.  I would search the boards for threads discussing the compator function - I think I remember it took a while to work everything out.  It might be that it successfully made a file for you, even though it threw an error....

John

Offline jseah

• Captain
  • j
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 05:50:43 AM »
If you can get the DB to open in M. Access, you can use M. Access's own compactor (happens when you exit).  Maybe that'll work. 

EDIT:
Also, I've tried using the compact Database function.  The current DB gets compacted and a backup is created. 

The compact DB gave me problems though, so I can't use that function. 

Offline hseldon (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • h
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 08:04:31 AM »
Thank you for the help. 

I'm using Windows XP SP3.   I tried doing a search for any *.  mdb files and windows only found the backup, current, and the original in the setup file.  

I'll try searching the forum to see if I can weed out the location. 

Does it matter what version of MS Office I use? The last version I have is 2003.