Author Topic: Official v5.40 Bugs Thread  (Read 12278 times)

Online Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Official v5.40 Bugs Thread
« on: March 10, 2011, 12:51:08 AM »
Please post confirmed bugs for v5.40 in this thread. However, please read the guidelines below on reporting bugs before posting.

Bug Reporting Guidelines

Steve
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:19:20 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Official v5.40 Bugs Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 01:40:25 AM »
Steve ,

Just updated and get the following error pop up on trying to start the game:-

Error in UpdateGameLog

Error 91 was generated by Aurora
object variable or With block variable not set.
Unquote

Not able to run game.

regards

DavidR

Offline Caplin

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 04:43:24 AM »
Hi Steve,
I don't receive the above-mentioned error, and the game appears to run fine for me.  However, I seem to be experiencing problems with the reduced height windows.  My screen resolution is 1280 by 800, and yet when I open the P&P screen my screen reader program is unable to locate the expected bottom row of buttons.
I know they should exist, and since my resolution is correct I half suspect the problem lies somewhere on my end, but it is rather irritating, to say the least.

Offline alanwebber

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • a
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 05:33:07 AM »
I'm having the same start up problems with version 5.4 as follows:-

"Error in Form load
Error 76 was generated by Aurora
Path not found"

This occurs once.

Then continual errors as follows:-

"Error in UpdateGameLog
Object variable or with block variable not set"

I had installed version 5.3 and that ran okay. I went back and installed 5.2 (okay) and extracted 5.4 (not okay)

I deleted both files (exe and database file) and extracted 5.4 - same errors.
Regards

Alan Webber

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 05:42:29 AM »
Alan,

Yes,

I also get the Error 76 message every time the game starts which I believe is linked to the Wiki or tutorials which the programme cannot find but the game can still play. 

However I , like you , also get the Error 91 pop up after installing v5.  4 which cannot be circumvented. 

Steve - Just to advise that the Error 91 occurs on both my XP 32bit desktop machine and also on my Win 7 64 bit laptop. 

DavidR
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:59:35 AM by davidr »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:15:23 AM »
Hi Steve,
I don't receive the above-mentioned error, and the game appears to run fine for me.  However, I seem to be experiencing problems with the reduced height windows.  My screen resolution is 1280 by 800, and yet when I open the P&P screen my screen reader program is unable to locate the expected bottom row of buttons.
I know they should exist, and since my resolution is correct I half suspect the problem lies somewhere on my end, but it is rather irritating, to say the least.

You need to activate the reduced height windows as they are an option. The menu item is on the Game Parameters menu on the main menu bar

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 07:16:57 AM »
Steve ,

Just updated and get the following error pop up on trying to start the game:-

Error in UpdateGameLog

object variable or With block variable not set.
Unquote

Not able to run game.

regards

DavidR

That sounds like the database (Stevefire.mdb) either isn't there or is the wrong version. Are you patching an existing install? If so, what version are you upgrading from?

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 07:19:47 AM »
I'm having the same start up problems with version 5.4 as follows:-

"Error in Form load
Error 76 was generated by Aurora
Path not found"

This occurs once.

Then continual errors as follows:-

"Error in UpdateGameLog

I had installed version 5.3 and that ran okay. I went back and installed 5.2 (okay) and extracted 5.4 (not okay)

I deleted both files (exe and database file) and extracted 5.4 - same errors.

This is a weird one as the 'Path Not Found' text isn't anywhere in the Aurora code so it sounds like a Microsoft error message. It sounds like the database isn't being found. Are you by any chance running Windows 7 and installed Aurora in the program files directory?

Steve

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 07:25:12 AM »
Steve ,

Patching over v5.  3 and overwriting exe and mdb file. 

I get both Error 76 with both XP and Win 7 versions on starting v5.  3 and Error 76 and then Error 91 after patching both to v5.  4. 

DavidR

PS Steve - deleted mdb file from Aurora folder and ran new game - Error 76 and then 91 appears.  Added v5. 4 mdb file to folder and ran new game - Error 76 and then 91 appears.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:30:41 AM by davidr »

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 08:05:30 AM »
The problem:
Code: [Select]
"Error in UpdateGameLog

Solution that worked for me:

After some tinkering i went to my Aurora 5.30 patch got the aurora file and pasted it to my installation directory likely at the cost of game updates but it is at least playable with 5.40 Stevefire.mdb

EDIT: I hope this helps in at least identifying which one of the two files is causing hiccups. Note this isn't a DB issue as far as i can tell.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:11:33 AM by voknaar »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 08:10:11 AM »
The problem:
Code: [Select]
"Error in UpdateGameLog

Solution that worked for me:

After some tinkering i went to my Aurora 5.30 patch got the aurora file and pasted it to my installation directory likely at the cost of game updates but it is at least playable with 5.40 Stevefire.mdb

EDIT: I hope this helps in at least identifying which one of the two files is causing hiccups.

You need to use the v5.40 Aurora.exe with the v5.40 Stevefire.mdb. Trying to use any other combination will cause errors at some point. If you use an older version of the exe with a newer version of the mdb, you might report bugs that I will never be able to find.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 08:12:55 AM »
Steve ,

Patching over v5.  3 and overwriting exe and mdb file. 

I get both Error 76 with both XP and Win 7 versions on starting v5.  3 and Error 76 and then Error 91 after patching both to v5.  4. 

DavidR

PS Steve - deleted mdb file from Aurora folder and ran new game - Error 76 and then 91 appears.  Added v5. 4 mdb file to folder and ran new game - Error 76 and then 91 appears.

The errors you are getting are definitely because the program can't find the database. However, it must be something specific to a particular system configuration as most players are not reporting the problem. As we get more reports on this I can try and isolate the problem, but it will be a install issue rather than a bug fix.

Steve

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 08:14:08 AM »
You need to use the v5.40 Aurora.exe with the v5.40 Stevefire.mdb. Trying to use any other combination will cause errors at some point. If you use an older version of the exe with a newer version of the mdb, you might report bugs that I will never be able to find.

Steve

Ok. But until a solution is made I can't use 5.40 of both Aurora and Stevefire.mdb together.

Offline alanwebber

• a
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 08:25:54 AM »
This is a weird one as the 'Path Not Found' text isn't anywhere in the Aurora code so it sounds like a Microsoft error message. It sounds like the database isn't being found. Are you by any chance running Windows 7 and installed Aurora in the program files directory?

Steve

Steve

I'm using Vista with an install into a sub-directory of the downloads directory (not Program Files). I had the first error on updating to 5.3 but the program still seemed to run okay.

Regards

Alan
Regards

Alan Webber

Offline ndkid

• n
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 09:42:37 AM »
For What it's worth, I'm on Windows 7, Aurora is in my Program Files (x86) directory, and I'm seeing the Error 76 followed by infinite Error 91 problems other people are reporting. I doubt it's helpful, but looking at it in a debugger looks like the call stack is bumping back and forth between Aurora.exe and msvbm60.dll.

EDIT: Just to test, I blew away my copy of Aurora, reinstalled 4.91, and then installed the 5.4 patch over that, and the behavior is still bad in the same way.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:47:47 AM by ndkid »