Author Topic: FC-Sensor Resolution  (Read 1565 times)

Offline backstab (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • b
FC-Sensor Resolution
« on: November 06, 2008, 09:22:37 PM »
Guys,

Excuse my ignorance but can someone explain Fire Control and Sensor Resolution to me .... the advantage of high resolution to low resolution ect.
Radar stuff has never been my strong point
Move foward and draw fire

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: FC-Sensor Resolution
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:38:08 PM »
I think this is in the mechanics forum. But it might have been lost...

Smaller objects require a tighter (smaller) resolution. For missiles, your best bet is resolution 0 (or 0 tons). For Main fire control, I usually go with a 1000-2000 ton resolution and increase the antenna size for the desired range. For search radar, I go around 5000 ton and the antenna size for the range.

Advantages of higher resolution (and by higher, I mean a smaller number), you can track smaller objects easier.
Disadvantage is that your range is more limited, you need larger antennas for the same range as a lower resolution suite.

For lower resolutions, reverse the ads/disads.

Offline backstab (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 09:42:54 PM »
Thanks for that.
Move foward and draw fire

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 11:27:32 PM »
Quote from: "backstab"
Guys,

Excuse my ignorance but can someone explain Fire Control and Sensor Resolution to me .... the advantage of high resolution to low resolution ect.
Radar stuff has never been my strong point
Resolution is the smallest object you can see without suffering any reduction in sensor range. So if you had a sensor that was range 10m kilometers and resolution 40, it could detect any object of size 40 or more at 10m kilometers. If you try and detect a smaller object, the range at which you can do so drops rapidly. The formula is the range multiplied by (Object Size/Resolution) ^ 2. For example, if you tried to detect an object that was only size 30 using the sensor above, the math would be (30/40)^2, or 0.75 ^ 2, which is 0.5625. If you multiply this by 10m, you find the range at which you can detect that object with that sensor is 5.625m kilometers. If you tried to detect a missile (size 1), the maximum range would be (1/40)^2 x 10m, which is only 6,250 km!

The advantage of chosing a higher number for the resolution is that the range of a sensor is equal to the strength x resolution so sensors with higher numbers for resolution are much longer ranged. So the decision is between range and the size of objects you want to detect. That's why its sometimes a good idea to have more than active sensor on a ship with each sensor designed to perform a different task.

Steve