Author Topic: Do systems generally get this big?  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Untelligent (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • U
Do systems generally get this big?
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:26:22 AM »
It's a quadrinary system. One of the stars orbits at about twice the distance of pluto around the main star, and all the jump survey locations are within this orbit. One of the other stars, New York B, orbits a fair bit farther out, and New York C orbits New York B. New York C has a few gas giants; two of these, New York C-V and New York C-VII, have 25 moons each. Suspiciously, there isn't a New York C-VI. Maybe it was eaten by the star goat.

Anyway, what confounds me is the vast distance at which New York B and C orbit the main star. The system view says it's 9200, which doesn't mean much to me, but this image shows an interesting comparison:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff76 ... 8c078e.png

That little blue ring in the middle is the orbit comparison of ten times the distance of Pluto. It takes 30 years for one of my cruisers to get from the inner region to New York C (and about 15 years for my survey vessels), where there's at least one potentially habitable world there and lots of potential mining colonies.

Mind you, I've just started playing, so maybe several decades from now I'll have the technology to reach the place. For now, I'm renaming this system Olympus, being beyond the reach of mortals.

Also, it says there's asteroids, but I can't find them, and it gives me an error message when I click on "asteroids" in the All Bodies menu. Presumably they're all farther out than the system map can zoom out to.

EDIT: I just found another system, a binary one, whose lesser star is just as far away, so I guess it's not that uncommon. At least this one has intra-system Lagrange points.

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
Re: Do systems generally get this big?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:27:46 AM »
It happens.  Sometimes there are Lagrange points connecting the systems, but not always.  Hyperdrive helps, but with systems that are really big, only marginally.

It's frustrating to have good planets out of reach.  Then again, I've seen systems that have Precursors far out of reach too. :)

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 09:34:51 AM »
In my current game I have at least one system that has a component about 3 Light Years away! Suffice to say, I didn't bother trying to survey it :)

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 09:51:55 AM »
Three light years!  That's... quite a lot.  More than I think happens IRL.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 09:56:23 AM »
See it this way: It might be a good refuge if you hit a strong enemy, and with high levels of hyperdrive and medium engine levels (not highest tech), speeds of 200k km/s should be a reasonable prospect.
Maybe you'll find another way into the system later from another jumppoint^^

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 10:03:31 AM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"

I don't think it works that way.  All the jump points have to be inside the survey ring, which clusters around the A component.

Maybe it would be a good idea for far components to have their own jump points, but I don't think the game currently allows it.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 10:53:02 AM »
Quote from: "The Shadow"
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"

I don't think it works that way.  All the jump points have to be inside the survey ring, which clusters around the A component.

Maybe it would be a good idea for far components to have their own jump points, but I don't think the game currently allows it.

You can SM a JP into a position near the distant component, but it will over time be left behind as the component moves. I did it for an NPR that was generated about 60 billion away from Component A.

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 12:01:24 AM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
You can SM a JP into a position near the distant component, but it will over time be left behind as the component moves. I did it for an NPR that was generated about 60 billion away from Component A.

Yeah, but it'll probably be a *really* long time. :)

Granted that you can put it there, but how can they find it without being able to reach the survey points?

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 09:03:07 AM »
Quote from: "The Shadow"
Quote from: "Beersatron"

Yeah, but it'll probably be a *really* long time. :)

Granted that you can put it there, but how can they find it without being able to reach the survey points?

I 'gifted' the NPR knowledge of the JPs in that system. Not sure if you can do it as SM when playing your own race or if I had to cheat a little. This was a few versions back.