Author Topic: Modern Warfare game  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Modern Warfare game
« on: November 24, 2010, 11:12:46 PM »
I'm looking for the title of a modern warfare miniature/rpg game. Printed in the 80's. Title had 2 words, one of which I think was either Delta or Desert.

I checked grognards.com to no avail.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
Re: Modern Warfare game
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 06:37:25 PM »
Okay, my senility shutdown long enough to let me remember the game. It was Phoenix Command by Leading Edge Games.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 05:19:04 AM »
You just trigger my memory about a rpg I have not heard about for so long it was called Twilight 2000, was a setting in the mist of world war 3.

Oh the flash back hurt.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 06:12:35 PM »
You just trigger my memory about a rpg I have not heard about for so long it was called Twilight 2000, was a setting in the mist of world war 3.

Oh the flash back hurt.

Twilight 2000 was good, as was the "sequel" Traveller 2300.

I'd heard rumors that the setting for 2300 was based on Twilight 2000, and they had some sociopolitical game they ran through to get the final setting. It'd be very interesting to get a copy of that.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 03:07:32 PM »
The mention of 2300 sets off all sorts of alarms in my head, so I have to join the thread!!

You are correct, GDW ran what they called the Game (or Great Game) from the starting point of the mess they'd left the earth in at the end of WWIII (which they had also gamed) with various devs, and staff members taking the role of surviving countries, they gamed it through the next 300 years to develop the "history" for Traveller 2300 (later 2300ad).

Man I loved Star Cruiser (the ship combat rules)  that game was pretty much all about sensors and sensor masking, hide and seek with Bazooka's! the game that created my love of missile armed ships (since lasers were relatively meh)

And I was a big fan of TW2k as well, though lost interest a lot after the adventure stream left Europe, Pirates of the Vistula absolutely rocked, Damn those evil Soviet 10th Guards Tank Div guys!!

Matt (off to strongarm someone into playing Star Cruiser now!)
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline C4lv1n

• Petty Officer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 08:27:14 PM »
I'm sorry guys

Quote from: boggo2300 link=topic=3077.  msg30116#msg30116 date=1291583252
the Game
Steve is a pretty cool guy, he makes games and doesn't afraid of anything.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 11:28:26 PM »
?? why are you sorry?

Do you guys remember the Twilight 2000 computer game, it was pretty huge game. But unfortunately not super popular

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 02:35:14 PM »
Do you guys remember the Twilight 2000 computer game, it was pretty huge game. But unfortunately not super popular

I remember getting all excited about it, but unfortunately it never made it into captivity down here
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline procyon

• Captain
  • p
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 10:02:37 PM »
I know Pheonix Command Small Arms Combat System (PCS ACS).
 I have a copy with a BUNCH of supplements tucked away  ;).  We used it for a few in house games.  EXTREMELY (!!!!) detailed and slow to resolve, but truly untouchable realism for resolution of modern small arms combat.  A group of us used it for a game that lasted almost 2 years.  It has supplements for armored /artillery combat, along with a few RPG settings (LIving Steel, one for Aliens that I never aquired).  Wasn't as sold on the RPG rules, but they worked well enough.
Had a supplement for hand to hand combat that was also very detailed.  I had more issues with it, but it was still the most detailed HTH system I've ever run across.

Kind of rare.  Haven't found to many people that played it. We enjoyed it immensely  :).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:04:34 PM by procyon »
... and I will show you fear in a handful of dust ...

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 10:08:24 PM »
I know Pheonix Command Small Arms Combat System (PCS ACS).
 I have a copy with a BUNCH of supplements tucked away  ;).  We used it for a few in house games.  EXTREMELY (!!!!) detailed and slow to resolve, but truly untouchable realism for resolution of modern small arms combat.  A group of us used it for a game that lasted almost 2 years.  It has supplements for armored /artillery combat, along with a few RPG settings (LIving Steel, one for Aliens that I never aquired).  Wasn't as sold on the RPG rules, but they worked well enough.
Had a supplement for hand to hand combat that was also very detailed.  I had more issues with it, but it was still the most detailed HTH system I've ever run across.

Kind of rare.  Haven't found to many people that played it. We enjoyed it immensely  :).

We used it for miniatures. The boxed set. Don't recall exactly what it contained, but yes, VERY realistic. Some of the best memories for gaming too.

Offline procyon

• Captain
  • p
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 10:57:05 PM »
We didn't have the box, just the books.  Worked great for miniatures.  We learned how it worked using the kids plastic army men (oh so many years ago).  After we got the Wild West Supplement and another supplement with rules for HTH and bows/arrows, the kids cowboy and indian figures got confiscated and used also.
After we got proficient at resolving conflicts in less than a day, we put together an RGP around the system.  We designed the characters around the players, gave them equipment they could find in their homes, and then put them in a world based on ice age north america (wooly mammoths, etc.) crossed with planet of the apes using revolutionary war era equipment.
The players and I loved every moment.....
... and I will show you fear in a handful of dust ...

Offline backstab

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 11:10:57 PM »
We used it for Twilight 2000.  Once you got the hang of it, it did not take too long.  It is a shame that the company went under.
Move foward and draw fire