Author Topic: Quasar4x - An Aurora4x VB6 clone  (Read 161208 times)

Offline MasonMac

• Registered
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
Re: Quasar4x - An early look at an Aurora4x clone in the works
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2019, 06:33:34 PM »
I hope you haven't stopped working on the project

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2019, 09:02:12 AM »
I'm back, after a much-needed "vacation" from hobby coding!  My pace won't be as fast as when I started out, but I can tell you that the itch to work on this has firmly resettled itself!

And I have a progress update (2019-02-19) from the past week or so!  Shipyard Tasks tab and Manage Shipyards tab are done for this phase.

Specifically, in the Shipyard Tasks tab: Show annual ship building rate per slipway, show available slipways, display all shipyard tasks, delete task, pause/unpause task, raise/lower priority, rename ship, select name of ship from themes, show ship delivery schedule for all shipyards.  In the Manage Shipyards tab: Display Total naval and commercial shipyard capacity, display chart of shipyards and their type, slipways, assigned class, current activity, progress%, completion date, and Mod rate.  Set shipyard complex activity, show build cost, completion date. Display list of eligible ship classes to retool, delete activity, pause/unpause activity, rename shipyard, auto-rename shipyard. All task types (Extra slipway, capacity expansion options, and retool) update DB identically to A4X and display correctly.  Create task Construction, Repair, Refit, and Scrap all update DB correctly.  List eligible classes to construct, repair, scrap, or refit from.  Pick eligible ships in orbit, set ship name, show build cost, create build names checkbox, show completion date (sometimes inaccurate for refits currently), select fleet, set default fleet.  Show required minerals for activities and tasks, pick new name from theme, show refit details.

I don't currently have my itch.io build push environment set up on this computer, so no new build this time around. I don't think that'll be much of an issue since by now you know that my progress updates are real and the current build has plenty of material to see how the final product will look and feel on your computer.

Next up is the research tab.

The following users thanked this post: JakeLoustone, ExChairman, JacenHan, El Pip, bro918, Graham, procdrone, Myvar

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2019, 02:32:42 PM »
Progress update 2019-03-04:

Actually finished these things last week and had planned to do more before my next update, but I'm currently hooked on a binge of Civ 5, so I figure'd I'd get this out there along with a warning that there will be another delay while I get Civ 5 out of my system :)

Research tab and Mining tab of the F2 screen are done.  Specifically, on the research tab: Display total research facilities & RP per Facility, Display chart of current research projects, Cancel project, pause/unpause, Add/Remove research labs, chart of researchable projects, dropdown to change chart RP type, Create project, delete project, show available, all, completed, or completed excluding start in chart, display technology description, show chart of eligible scientists for project, show matching scientists only checkbox, pick allocated labs, show available labs, use max labs checkbox, research queue, queue project, queue top, remove from queue, reorder queue.  Mining tab: show/pick mass driver dest, display ground-based mines + annual production, mouseover annual production details, finished the remaining few columns in the mining, set/display reserve level.

Up next (when I get back to the project) will be Industry tab and Summary tab then the F2 window will finally be done for this pass!

The following users thanked this post: JakeLoustone, JacenHan, Noble713, El Pip, tws029, JustAnotherDude, procdrone, Myvar

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2019, 01:33:19 PM »
Progress update 2019-04-26:

F2 window is DONE!  (For now)

In the past few days I completed the last two tabs, Industry and Summary.  Specifically, on the Industry tab: Construction and ordnance production stats and hint; Display available installations or projects for each Construction category; display cost breakdown for each project; Industrial Allocation panel fully functional; Create new project, modify existing project, cancel, pause / unpause, Select default fleet for new fighters, move project up or down in queue, Fuel Production panel fully functional; Stockpiles button shows Ship Component Stockpile, planetary missile stockpile.  Scrap or disassemble component in ship component stockpile.  Scrap missiles.  On the Summary Tab: Every field that I can compare to my test save calculates and displays correctly. 

Also pushed my latest build to itch (still classed as prototype and will be for a very long time).

I was on another break doing non-coding things in my free time but I've got the itch back to work on this project.  Next on my list is the F3 window (System Map) for which a lot of work is already done, especially in the graphics area - the work remaining for this phase of System Map is primarily
- flesh out the functionality in 9 tabs on the left
- add in the remaining labels, sensor rings, and movement trails in the graphical view,
- add support for switching the view from one system to another
- flesh out the right-click context menu
- click on fleets etc to jump to appropriate info window

None of these should be particularly complicated, and I'm really looking forward to getting these done because F3 is like the glue for everything else in the game and future demo builds will look and feel a lot more complete.

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan, bro918, JustAnotherDude, procdrone, Myvar

Offline procdrone

• Leading Rate
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2019, 09:29:17 AM »
As always, Marvelous progress.  Keep it coming :)

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2019, 12:55:14 PM »
Progress update 2019-05-02:

Glorious, glorious clutter!

System Map is done! (for now)

Latest build pushed to Itch. Some things added since the previous build: fleets; jump points; show active sensor ranges, passive sensor ranges, and signature detection range; Mineral packets; show max weapon range on ships, show max fire control range; Minerals tab; shift-drag yellow measurement line; highlight colonies, mineral bodies, surveyed bodies; list the fleets, ships, and pops in context menu; create pop or jump to existing pop in the F2 window; Galactic map context menu shows populations which also link to F2 window;

A few other odds and ends were done too, and a few bits are left unfinished because I have no data for them in my current test game;  Ruins, Wrecks, Salvos, and anything to do with Contacts.  The UI is all ready to go for these, though.  At some point I may start a thread requesting a very advanced save file or two, but for now I'm going to move on to the remaining windows.  My first 1-system, no-AI campaign is still far away, but it is in sight!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:57:17 PM by Kyle »

The following users thanked this post: Manekaalecto, JacenHan, Noble713, JustAnotherDude

Offline JustAnotherDude

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2019, 01:02:42 PM »
Amazing progress, got to say! What are you planning on doing next? More menus, or getting stuff like surveys and JPs sorted?

The following users thanked this post: Myvar

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2019, 09:31:25 AM »
Thanks  :D

I decided to work on System View next.  I've been in the process of going through every window and comparing my test game (12 systems, no AI, year 2086) between A4X and Q4X, making sure all the data is displayed correctly and the UI has as much functionality as it can.  Here are all the windows for this phase, and what I've completed:

Ammo Management
Class Deployments
Class Design
Colony Summary
Combat Overview
Commanders
Create Research Project
Dice Rolls
Events
Fighters
Fleet Orders
Foreign Aid
Fuel Situation
Galactic Map
Geo Survey Report
Intel Window
Loadout Calculator
Order of Battle
Potential Colonies
Production Overview
Race Details
Racial Medals
Sectors
Shipping Line Information
Ships
Ships Requiring Repair
System Map
System View
Task Forces
Tech Data on Ships
Turret Design
View Technology

... Although this list is wildly misleading.  For example, Colony Summary is essentially 12 windows in 1, and a lot of these are trivial like Order of Battle, Loadout Calc, etc.  I was going in alphabetical order but now I'm just kind of picking windows to work on arbitrarily.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, JustAnotherDude

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2019, 12:44:07 PM »
Progress update 2019-05-06:

My previous post inspired me to knock out some "easy" ones on the list, so now it looks like this!

Off-Topic: show
Ammo Management
Class Deployments
Class Design
Colony Summary
Combat Overview
Commanders
Create Research Project
Dice Rolls
Events
Fighters
Fleet Orders
Foreign Aid
Fuel Situation
Galactic Map
Geo Survey Report
Intel Window
Loadout Calculator
Order of Battle
Potential Colonies
Production Overview
Race Details
Racial Medals
Sectors
Ships
Ships Requiring Repair
System Map
System View
Task Forces
Turret Design
View Technology

System View, Foreign Aid, Loadout Calc, Shipping Line Info, and Order of Battle are now done for this phase.  New build is on Itch.

Specifically, on the System View: Display System Type, Age and ID.  Stars table shows info about orbiting other stars.  Clicking a row in star table jumps to the appropriate tab.  Tabs support 4 stars instead of 1.  Jump points tab displays list of JPs, Layout graphics, and Travel times.  System graphic supports 4 stars instead of 1.  Several fixes to data displayed.  Show jump point survey status. No JP Survey button. Show SB Surveys checkbox.   Foreign Aid window fully functional instead of skeleton UI.  Loadout Calc totals by line item.  The bottom two checkboxes in Order of battle window.  On the Shipping Lines window: show list of lines and info about them. Show recent deliveries.  Show Ships in line.  Click fleet to focus it on sys map.  Subsidise button.  Clear Orders.

I removed Tech Data on Ships from my list since I currently have no data for it.

Next up I need to go back to System View and do the Enter/Explore and Hide WP buttons on the Jump points tab since I just noticed I forgot to do those.  Then I have a few more fairly "easy" windows I can knock out.   

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:13:49 PM by Kyle »

The following users thanked this post: Manekaalecto, Demonides, ExChairman, JustAnotherDude

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2019, 04:56:42 PM »
Progress update 2019-05-07:

Geological Survey Report, Potential Colonies Window, and Sectors window are DONE!  Latest build pushed to Itch.

(I am firmly within the addictive grip of coding)

Specific additions since previous build:
System View, Jump Points tab: Enter/Explore jump point (currently doesn't reveal new systems, I prefer to require a ship at the jump point to do that), Hide/Show jump point (leaves a gap in the connection between the two systems in the galactic map)
Geo Survey Report: select species, select system, create colony, fixed discrepancies in results
Potential Colonies: Add sorting, tweaked number formatting, Open system on system view, Goto Body on galactic map, display atmospheric gasses, display mineral deposits, auto center sysmap and galmap.
Sectors window: show capital, show commander, show radius, list sectors, list current systems, total current systems, list available systems, total possible systems, show color, change color, move systems between available and current systems list, rename sector

There are yet a few more windows to do that should be pretty quick.  My next update will most likely be on Thursday.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, JacenHan, ropedog, JustAnotherDude

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2019, 12:31:09 PM »
Progress update 2019-05-09:

Fuel Situation, Production Overview, Task Forces DONE!  Latest build pushed to Itch.

Ships Requiring Repair and Fighters removed from the list, no data to work with currently.  The list is starting to look good:

Off-Topic: show
Ammo Management
Class Deployments
Class Design
Colony Summary
Combat Overview
Commanders
Create Research Project
Dice Rolls
Events
Fleet Orders
Foreign Aid
Fuel Situation
Galactic Map
Geo Survey Report
Intel Window
Loadout Calculator
Order of Battle
Potential Colonies
Production Overview
Race Details
Racial Medals
Sectors
Ships
System Map
System View
Task Forces
Turret Design
View Technology

Fuel Situation: fully functional and results matches A4X results; Production Overview: fully functional and results match A4X, except "All Player Races" and "Show Allies"; Task Force Organization: Fully functional and results match A4X.

I think I see one more batch of easy ones I can do before we get into the last gruelling bits! 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:14:04 PM by Kyle »

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, JacenHan, bro918

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2019, 12:12:39 PM »
Progress update 2019-05-13:

Race Details, Intelligence Window, View Technology, and Commanders Window DONE!  Latest build pushed to Itch.

Race Medals removed from the list, no updates necessary.  Missile Design added to the list, I forgot about it.

Ammo Management
Class Deployments
Class Design
Colony Summary
Combat Overview
Commanders
Create Research Project
Dice Rolls
Events
Fleet Orders
Foreign Aid
Fuel Situation
Galactic Map
Geo Survey Report
Intel Window
Loadout Calculator
Missile Design
Order of Battle
Potential Colonies
Production Overview
Race Details
Sectors
Ships
System Map
System View
Task Forces
Turret Design
View Technology

Race Details: display correct ord and fighter capacities, display correct species pop, fix the species dropdown, fix empire color selction
Intelligence Window: list known alien races, choose alien abbreviation, select alien naming theme, remove knowledge of alien race, rename alien race, choose colors for civs and aliens, update sysmap with chosen civ color, show alien race picture, show alien flag, show first contact date, show comms status, show current diplo rating, show treaties statuses, show currently assigned diplo team, choose diplo team assignment, show list of known alien race ship classes, auto center sysmap on selected ship, show sensor data, show and update notes on class, show weapons and sensor data, show list of known ships in alien class, rename alien class, auto name alien class and ships based on selected theme, show correct class names, reset known data of class, delete class, rename alien ship, renumber ships in class, toggle destroyed status of ship, list known systems of alien race
View Technology: double-click headers to sort by any column; rename tech; mark/unmark obsolete; show/hide obsolete; display data for the categories Active Sensors/Missile FC, Beam FC, CIWS, ECM, EM Detection, Engines, Jump Engines, Magazine, Meson Cannons, Missile Engines, Missiles, Power Plants, Standard Shields, Thermal sensors
Commanders: LOTS of things fixed, too complicated to list what was done

The remaining items on my list are fairly beefy and will take a bit longer to do.  (Commanders is gigantic too but fortunately I had a lot of it done in the previous phase.)  Next up is Create Research Project!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:16:42 PM by Kyle »

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, JacenHan, Myvar

Offline Demonides

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2019, 11:37:04 AM »
Props for You ;]

Offline punchkid

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2019, 04:19:18 AM »
This is awsome, I can't believe I haven't seen this project before now.

I have been thinking of making my own clone of aurora in c++ for a few months now. 
Then I find this, so now I guess I can just sit back and wait.

If you want any coding help do let me know.

Also, I really like your ideas for a "configurable" AI.  Should make for a lot of fun.

The following users thanked this post: Kyle

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2019, 11:12:21 AM »

Project update 2019-05-20:

Create Research Project is done!

Specifically, Suggest Name,Create project, Lasers, Missile Launchers, Power Plants, Engines, Shields Standard, Active Sensors/Missile Fire Control, Thermal Sensors, Jump Engines, Beam Fire Control, Particle Beam, Meson Cannon, Railgun, Plasma Carronade, EM Detection Sensors, High Power Microwave, Gauss Cannon, Cloaking Device, Magazine, CIWS, New Species, and Missile Engines.  All formulas under these categories are in place and match A4X.

Also implemented the SM-only "Instant" button on the research page for quick testing of techs.  Latest build pushed to Itch.

Next up I believe is Turret Design

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, JacenHan