Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Questions  (Read 186655 times)

Offline hubgbf

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • h
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Questions
« Reply #540 on: January 03, 2020, 03:33:29 AM »
Just a question about the last change : "A system can be flagged as 'Military Restricted' on the Miscellaneous tab of the Galactic Map. Once flagged, civilians will avoid the system. Civilians will also avoid any system flagged as alien-controlled."

Does it means that even alien controlled systems with alien who are friendly enough to allow trade are restricted?
Or just hostile alien?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #541 on: January 03, 2020, 04:10:26 AM »
Just a question about the last change : "A system can be flagged as 'Military Restricted' on the Miscellaneous tab of the Galactic Map. Once flagged, civilians will avoid the system. Civilians will also avoid any system flagged as alien-controlled."

Does it means that even alien controlled systems with alien who are friendly enough to allow trade are restricted?
Or just hostile alien?

It will only block civilians if there is no trade treaty (as I just fixed that after reading your post) :)

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, hubgbf, DIT_grue, Tikigod

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #542 on: January 03, 2020, 04:12:21 AM »
Thanks a bunch Steve. Some devs studios around could get some lessons from you regarding behavior and open mindedness.

And indeed, Aurora is SP and can be abused a lot if the player wants that. This is not our intent, for most of us I think.

Plus, if I get it right, forbidding a colony to civilians also means no transportation through the contracting system and trade goods, so there is a drawback.

You can restrict a colony without affecting traffic through a system, or you can restrict the whole system and stop all traffic.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #543 on: January 03, 2020, 01:15:54 PM »

Or just hostile alien?

Alien controlled is a dropdown YOU (the player) set, not Aurora.  It's what causes the little foreign flags to show up on the Galactic map.

So if it's causing behaviour you don't like, switch it back.

Offline Rabid_Cog

• Commander
« Reply #544 on: January 03, 2020, 01:55:22 PM »
A possible impact of setting a colony to "restricted" could be a simple hit to unrest? Doesn't mean much for a military base, there are probably more than sufficient troops to combat said unrest anyway. And it doesn't really impact much. But if you are using that to micro-manage your civilian colonies you're going to take a hit to productivity.

From an RP perspective, it also makes sense. If you are working in a restricted zone, your access to entertainment and human contact might be a bit more limited than you would like (no family/friends allowed to come over).
I have my own subforum now!
Shameless plug for my own Aurora story game:
5.6 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4988.0.html
6.2 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5906.0.html

Feel free to post comments!
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5452.0.html

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #545 on: January 07, 2020, 05:53:09 AM »
I may have missed it but has the rules for Civilian Operations changed in the C# version?

Playing VB version campaigns over and over, I notice that even after having colonies in other systems with 250+ million population, Civilian companies still won't be drawn to establish mining operations or send gas mining ships to said systems even once all their initial operations in my home system have dried up.

In one scenario I had a 2nd system with a main 0 cost colony with some 200 million living there, a 2nd 0 cost colony in the system with around 80 million acting as a mining and financial colony sending its resources to the primary colony, and the system had at least a half dozen other planets on it with high volumes of resources. All but 1 of the Civilian mining operations in my home system had dried up and been dismantled/disbanded, yet the Civilian companies never established anything more even after a 2nd company established itself.

Threw all the currency in the galaxy at them to try see if it was a funding issue, and all they would do was churn out further pointless ships.

Would be good to hear that in the C# version Civilian company logic has been improved so that they will quickly try to push to establish themselves on rich opportunities in well populated systems. 
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #546 on: January 07, 2020, 07:40:22 AM »
Did they have good access to Duranium and/or Sorium? Because those are the triggers for CMC mining, and good enough Sorium access in gas giants is the trigger for civilian fuel production.

After that, it's a random dice roll thing that is affected by yearly wealth production.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #547 on: January 07, 2020, 07:59:17 AM »
Did they have good access to Duranium and/or Sorium? Because those are the triggers for CMC mining, and good enough Sorium access in gas giants is the trigger for civilian fuel production.

After that, it's a random dice roll thing that is affected by yearly wealth production.

Gallicite has been added as a triggering mineral in C# and the required population for CMC in the same system is ten million.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #548 on: January 07, 2020, 08:44:21 AM »
CMCs are not connected with shipping lines so throwing money at the lines is not going to make more CMCs appear.

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #549 on: January 07, 2020, 05:32:14 PM »

Yep, 2nd system had stockpiles of everything from its own mining and the mining from the 2nd colony, access for the potential CMC sites were also high, around the 0.6-0.8 ranges for most resources from one planet or another.

Must have really been silly bad dice rolling then, as it went decades with no civilian assets establishing.
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Online JustAnotherDude

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #550 on: January 22, 2020, 07:15:35 PM »
Quick question, Steve: How granular is the A.I with it's ground forces? We talking one big blob or company level, here?

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #551 on: January 22, 2020, 10:17:33 PM »
In addition to what @JustAnotherDude asked.

I am curious if there is several different preformed/premade Templates for NPR ground forces where they have several basic formations with a mix of units and will only deploy these formations regardless of if the NPR only needs a portion of the troops in that formation. I.e Warsaw Pact style TOE organization
or
Is it ground forces built more ad-hoc and organic where the NPR will build and deploy what it calculates is best for the planet/invasion Target and based on it's strategic situation? I.e. british expeditionary Force organization
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #552 on: January 23, 2020, 03:19:09 AM »
Quick question, Steve: How granular is the A.I with it's ground forces? We talking one big blob or company level, here?

Different Design Themes use different templates for ground forces and there is some variability in size and composition within each theme. Each theme may have multiple formation types, such as infantry, armour, HQ, etc. and each formation type will generally include multiple unit types.

The following users thanked this post: papent, DIT_grue

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #553 on: January 23, 2020, 03:35:58 AM »
In addition to what @JustAnotherDude asked.

I am curious if there is several different preformed/premade Templates for NPR ground forces where they have several basic formations with a mix of units and will only deploy these formations regardless of if the NPR only needs a portion of the troops in that formation. I.e Warsaw Pact style TOE organization
or
Is it ground forces built more ad-hoc and organic where the NPR will build and deploy what it calculates is best for the planet/invasion Target and based on it's strategic situation? I.e. british expeditionary Force organization

The NPR will have a fixed set of formation types. However, it will determine what it needs in terms of numbers for each type and then build accordingly.

Online JustAnotherDude

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #554 on: February 02, 2020, 08:38:28 PM »
Steve, I was just taking a look at the changes list and I saw something about Squadron Jumps being handled differently in C# but no elaboration. Did that ever end up happening?