Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Questions  (Read 186674 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Questions
« Reply #615 on: March 04, 2020, 02:14:00 PM »
Was there a change to boarding combat capabilities?

This post from 2 January 2018 says the following:

The Boarding Combat capability is required for a Unit to be able to board another ship.

but this post from 30 December 2018 says otherwise:

Only a ship with a boarding-equipped troop transport bay can be ordered to make a boarding attempt

Any unit with a 'Boarding Combat' capability has double the normal chance of success.

I would assume that the newer post is more accurate and that when you made the earlier post, you hadn't included the Troop Transport Bay change, but you know what they say about assuming...  :D Plus, the old post could then be edited for accuracy.

Online Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #616 on: March 04, 2020, 03:30:58 PM »
CIWS is still useful for some situations, as it is more compact than having the weapon, reactor, fire control and ECCM as separate installations.

The CIWS is only useful in situations where you expect a ship to operate on it's own consistently. Now, I can see allot more situations this will be true in C# combat though... as scouting will become more important in a more spread out fashion.

As soon as you add another ship to the same formation you always want a full Gauss cannon even if it is slightly less efficient and more expensive.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 07:15:53 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #617 on: March 05, 2020, 02:07:16 AM »
I think he meant that the boarding combat capability is something you need to add in the ground unit design in order for it to even be able to make the attempt.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #618 on: March 05, 2020, 11:54:22 AM »
That's what Steve's original post says. However, his later post says that having that capability doubles your chance of success and that there is a new ship module for boarding combat.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #619 on: March 05, 2020, 12:52:18 PM »
That's what Steve's original post says. However, his later post says that having that capability doubles your chance of success and that there is a new ship module for boarding combat.

The latter is correct. I changed the mechanics in-between. I suspect that is true for quite a few posts. At some point I need to go through the change log and correct them.

Offline space dwarf

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #620 on: March 05, 2020, 03:55:19 PM »

The latter is correct. I changed the mechanics in-between. I suspect that is true for quite a few posts. At some point I need to go through the change log and correct them.

You can lead a millitaman to the boarding cannon but you cannot make him decelerate

The following users thanked this post: Viridia

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #621 on: March 06, 2020, 02:17:00 AM »

As SerBeardian is currently doing a daily C# series of videos going through the entire change note thread covering each post to help make people aware of the specific changes coming, I am sure he'll love to hear that some of the posts there are now inaccurate and likely to change.  ;D

At least it gives some of us more to do whilst we wait for C# I suppose. lol
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline Vizzy

• Leading Rate
  • V
« Reply #622 on: March 06, 2020, 01:38:40 PM »
What happens when a future prototype's required technology is researched? Does it turn into a normal prototype?

(Thanks for implementing the prototype system, looks awesome and very useful)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 01:43:20 PM by Vizzy »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #623 on: March 06, 2020, 03:18:22 PM »
What happens when a future prototype's required technology is researched? Does it turn into a normal prototype?

(Thanks for implementing the prototype system, looks awesome and very useful)

Not at the moment, although I could probably code that in.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #624 on: March 08, 2020, 12:56:45 AM »
Regarding the new ordinance mechanics:

- If I have a Collier Fighter, 500 Tons(10HS) let's say, carrying 2 Size 10 Missiles, and it lands on a ship which has a magazine capable of receiving them, can I transfer them? Or does that ships ALSO need some kind of extra equipment? If so, can the mothership mount it, or does the Fighter need to? I would suspect that if the equipment to reload my Fighters from the mothership's magazine(s) exists in a hangar space, then the inverse would also hold true.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #625 on: March 08, 2020, 01:51:47 AM »

- If I have a Collier Fighter, 500 Tons(10HS) let's say, carrying 2 Size 10 Missiles, and it lands on a ship which has a magazine capable of receiving them, can I transfer them? Or does that ships ALSO need some kind of extra equipment? If so, can the mothership mount it, or does the Fighter need to? I would suspect that if the equipment to reload my Fighters from the mothership's magazine(s) exists in a hangar space, then the inverse would also hold true.

Wow.

You may very well be the first person in the history of Aurora to plan reloading a carrier via small craft.

I would guess the current version is one of the following:
1.  Impossible - Steve hasn't coded unloading a fighter's magazines
2.  Bugged -- Steve hasn't coded unloading a fighter's magazines, and the missiles are deleted by the attempt
3.  Instant -- Steve hasn't directly coded unloading a fighter's magazines, but assigning said fighter a 'missile loadout template' of 'no missiles' and then issuing a 'reload to template' command removes delivered ordnance from the fighter and puts it into the carrier's magazine
4.  One-way -- the designated Collier is the only ship checked for ordnance transfer equipment, so the fighter unload is slo-o-o-ow.
5.  Versatile -- both ships in the transaction are checked for ordnance transfer equipment, so the carrier's increased rate applies.

- - - - -

In any event, thanks for the fantastic question.  I had planned a form of COD* small craft for my supercarriers, but it never occurred to me to move ordnance or fuel that way.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #626 on: March 08, 2020, 03:45:16 AM »
Reload a whole freakin' carrier!? Oh heck no! I just wanna reload my Missile Corvettes via a pair of Boat Bays, they only carry six shots anyway, so even at around Ion Tech I could reload them back to full in three trips. ...Well, maybe some other ships with Jump-Capable colliers, but that's still more along the lines of a dedicated utility carrier of them then just a few.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #627 on: March 08, 2020, 06:55:44 AM »

At the moment you can do it without landing - just join the fleet with the collier and set it to transfer ordnance. I think it would also transfer if you landed, but the carrier would then transfer it back. Although if you set the collier to a zero loadout, it would work. So yes, but complicated. Easier to do it before landing.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #628 on: March 08, 2020, 10:59:57 AM »
@Steve Walmsley

- So I don't need Ordinance Transfer equipment of any sort to do it then, even when the Fighter in question hasn't been landed? Well, alrighty then.

@Father Tim

- Finding novel uses for Fighters seems to be my thing around here...

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #629 on: March 08, 2020, 11:10:24 AM »
@Steve Walmsley

- So I don't need Ordinance Transfer equipment of any sort to do it then, even when the Fighter in question hasn't been landed? Well, alrighty then.

Ah - yes you would need ordnance transfer.