Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Questions  (Read 186652 times)

Offline MasonMac

• Registered
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Questions
« Reply #735 on: April 02, 2020, 12:47:15 PM »
Is Wiki updated to C#

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #736 on: April 02, 2020, 01:07:53 PM »
No but there is a C# name space and some pages have been created.

Offline JuergenSchT

• Leading Rate
« Reply #737 on: April 03, 2020, 09:48:33 PM »
Greetings.
I had a jumble of questions in my head, but only three come to mind right now.  They regard civilian shipping lines.
If I understood correctly, subsidies for shipping lines have not been implemented in Aurora C#.  In VB6, new shipping lines start with the same same amount of wealth, regardless of the current tech level.  This means that they can create several ships on very low tech levels, but only one on mid-tech, and none at all on later tech levels (thus, new shipping lines in late game will not be able to grow with no player subsidies).
My question would be, "does the initial wealth of shipping lines scale with the tech level of the player (specifically, Engine Power, Fuel Consumption and Cargo Handling System) in Aurora C#?"
There is another quirk of shipping lines in VB6 that caught my attention.  Different shipping lines might choose different base numbers of engines for their designs in a tech level (from 4 to 8 ), and would also change that number once the new Engine Technology rolled in.  Subsidies thus were a way to "reward" the lines which chose the best number of engines.  My second question would be: "Do shipping lines still choose different numbers of engines for their designs in Aurora C#?"
The final question is: "Are shipping line subsidies still discarded for Aurora C#?"

The following users thanked this post: Steve Walmsley

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #738 on: April 04, 2020, 04:45:05 AM »
Greetings.
I had a jumble of questions in my head, but only three come to mind right now.  They regard civilian shipping lines.
If I understood correctly, subsidies for shipping lines have not been implemented in Aurora C#.  In VB6, new shipping lines start with the same same amount of wealth, regardless of the current tech level.  This means that they can create several ships on very low tech levels, but only one on mid-tech, and none at all on later tech levels (thus, new shipping lines in late game will not be able to grow with no player subsidies).
My question would be, "does the initial wealth of shipping lines scale with the tech level of the player (specifically, Engine Power, Fuel Consumption and Cargo Handling System) in Aurora C#?"
There is another quirk of shipping lines in VB6 that caught my attention.  Different shipping lines might choose different base numbers of engines for their designs in a tech level (from 4 to 8 ), and would also change that number once the new Engine Technology rolled in.  Subsidies thus were a way to "reward" the lines which chose the best number of engines.  My second question would be: "Do shipping lines still choose different numbers of engines for their designs in Aurora C#?"
The final question is: "Are shipping line subsidies still discarded for Aurora C#?"

Shipping lines do not have subsidies. They do choose different numbers of engines.

I've not had any issues in the test games. You would have to start at quite a high tech level before the shipping line could afford a small colony ship.

Offline littleWolf

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • l
« Reply #739 on: April 04, 2020, 06:43:40 AM »
Say please about  HDD space required for install and run  Aurora C#

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #740 on: April 04, 2020, 06:55:38 AM »
Say please about  HDD space required for install and run  Aurora C#

It will depend on how large your game is. The installed version on my PC is 260 MB with the current campaign. That includes the exe, all the image file such as race and flag pictures, plus the database.

Offline Vasious

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • V
« Reply #741 on: April 05, 2020, 02:37:45 AM »
Dumb question but what is the difference between
Space Ports
&
Cargo Shuttle Stations

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg105591#msg105591

Cargo Handling Systems have been replaced by Cargo Shuttle Bays. They function in a similar way, although they are larger (10 HS) and more expensive.

So those are ship based and if a ship lacks them then it relies of planet based facilities, either a Spaceport or a Cargo Shuttle Stations

Now my understand is that additional Spaceports speed up loading and unloading

What role do Cargo Shuttle Stations have in this, or do Spaceports now have a different role

Sorry for the confusion

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #742 on: April 05, 2020, 03:27:11 AM »
"Spaceports have doubled in cost to 2400 BP but can now be moved by freighters. They are equal to four research facilities for transport purposes (or 80 factories). They retain their existing bonuses to loading and unloading cargo."

"A ship can only refuel at a Spaceport, a Refuelling Station, a ship with a Refuelling System or a base with a Refuelling Hub."

"In addition, Box launchers can only be reloaded in a hangar, or at an Ordnance Transfer Point (a Spaceport, Ordnance Transfer Station or Ordnance Transfer Hub)."

"A ship can only receive ordnance at a Spaceport, an Ordnance Transfer Station, a ship with a Ordnance Transfer System, a base with a Ordnance Transfer Hub or in a military hangar bay."

"Space Stations can be built by construction factories at any population that includes a Spaceport."

". . . a freighter or colony ship cannot load / unload unless it has at least one Cargo Shuttle Bay, or the target population has either a Spaceport or a Cargo Shuttle Station (new installation, 1200 BP)."

"For C# Aurora, box launchers can only be reloaded in a hangar, or at an Ordnance Transfer Point (a Spaceport, Ordnance Transfer Station or Ordnance Transfer Hub)."

"A ship can only resupply at a population with a spaceport, a cargo shuttle station or at least one maintenance facility, or from a ship with cargo shuttles."

"Conventional Start

. . .The player now receives:

. . .
Spaceport
. . . "

"Installations without Required Tech

. . .The full list of the installations that can be constructed before Trans-Newtonian Theory is researched is as follows:

. . .
Spaceport
. . ."

- - - - -

In other words, a Spaceport is a ground-based 'everything' station that combines all other logistics functions (possibly at a space and/or cost savings, depending on how many of those functions one actually needs).

The following users thanked this post: Vasious

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #743 on: April 05, 2020, 05:19:26 AM »
In other words, a Spaceport is a ground-based 'everything' station that combines all other logistics functions (possibly at a space and/or cost savings, depending on how many of those functions one actually needs).

Also, construction factories can only build space stations if the colony has a spaceport.

The following users thanked this post: Vasious

Offline SevenOfCarina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #744 on: April 05, 2020, 06:02:13 AM »

Also, construction factories can only build space stations if the colony has a spaceport.

Even so, isn't the population requirement of one million a bit excessive?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #745 on: April 05, 2020, 06:21:40 AM »

Given that one of its "everything" functions is basically 'shipyard,' I don't think so. . . but if that's not the part you're interested in, I can see how it might seem so.

Offline SevenOfCarina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #746 on: April 05, 2020, 07:06:19 AM »

Given that one of its "everything" functions is basically 'shipyard,' I don't think so. . . but if that's not the part you're interested in, I can see how it might seem so.

But a shipyard actually builds ships. A spaceport simply allows surface construction factories to build things in orbit, which is very different. I don't disagree with spaceports requiring workers, I just feel like it should require 250,000 rather than a million.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #747 on: April 05, 2020, 08:21:48 AM »
But a shipyard actually builds ships. A spaceport simply allows surface construction factories to build things in orbit, which is very different. I don't disagree with spaceports requiring workers, I just feel like it should require 250,000 rather than a million.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion.

- - - - -

I don't know that I have a 'feel' for how many workers a Spaceport should require.  I've never sat down and listed out all the features one has and the necessary number of other installations required to duplicate those functions and the number of workers that would require.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #748 on: April 05, 2020, 09:17:28 AM »
A spaceport can provide the benefits of a :
Refuelling station (no workers)
Ordnance transfer station (no workers)
Cargo transfer station (no workers)
That is, if the chart on page 12 of the changes list is correct about those facilities having no population.
However consider than in C# its workers that generate wealth, not total population, your shipyard is generating 100 wealth per annum with that million population, making it worth 3.3 Financial centers.
A spaceport does the work of 4,000 BP of facilities but only costs 3,000 bp. Quite a bargain if you can afford the workers.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 09:19:14 AM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #749 on: April 05, 2020, 10:42:14 AM »
Also, this way it is an actual investment when it comes to colonies.