Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Questions  (Read 186655 times)

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Questions
« Reply #765 on: April 09, 2020, 10:45:27 AM »
I just wanted to ask, I've always wanted to be able to put railguns on turrets - will C# aurora extend or otherwise change the types of weapons that can be put on turrets?
Railguns not getting turrets is an intentional balance decision. Other weapons get 4x tracking speed with turrets, railguns get 4x the amount of shots, making them roughly equal in terms of point defense. If you could turret railguns, they would be massively overpowered compared compared to any other beam weapon.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #766 on: April 09, 2020, 11:18:26 AM »
Quote from: JacenHan link=topic=10097. msg120655#msg120655 date=1586447127
Quote from: Droll link=topic=10097. msg120653#msg120653 date=1586446404
I just wanted to ask, I've always wanted to be able to put railguns on turrets - will C# aurora extend or otherwise change the types of weapons that can be put on turrets?
Railguns not getting turrets is an intentional balance decision.  Other weapons get 4x tracking speed with turrets, railguns get 4x the amount of shots, making them roughly equal in terms of point defense.  If you could turret railguns, they would be massively overpowered compared compared to any other beam weapon.

So can plasma carronades and particle beams also be put on turrets now, or has that always been the case?

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #767 on: April 09, 2020, 11:20:52 AM »
I don't think you can or could turret plasma carronades or particle beams. They wouldn't make good PD weapons (too large and slow-firing), but I agree that it would be nice to be able to build anti-fighter/FAC turrets.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #768 on: April 09, 2020, 11:24:32 AM »
So can plasma carronades and particle beams also be put on turrets now, or has that always been the case?

Plasma carronades and particle beams can NOT be turreted, and that has always been the case.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #769 on: April 09, 2020, 12:05:10 PM »

The lack of turrets for some weapon is a design decision, rather than an accidental omission.

Turreted railguns would be very overpowered for example.

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #770 on: April 09, 2020, 01:05:51 PM »

The lack of turrets for some weapon is a design decision, rather than an accidental omission.

Turreted railguns would be very overpowered for example.

Have you seen the turreted railguns in the expanse? Crazy big and powerful.

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #771 on: April 09, 2020, 01:53:04 PM »
Is there any sort of auto save  feature? Would it be possible to add one that auto saves the DB every X amount of time either real time or ingame time please?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #772 on: April 09, 2020, 02:25:43 PM »
Is there any sort of auto save  feature? Would it be possible to add one that auto saves the DB every X amount of time either real time or ingame time please?

No auto-save right now. In game time is too varied to put a time on it (sometimes every few minutes might be the best option and sometimes every couple of months). Real-world time could be annoying if you are halfway through doing something, plus if you leave it open it would wipe out your automatic backup saves. Maybe number of increments would be a possible option for post-launch.

Offline Vivalas

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • V
« Reply #773 on: April 09, 2020, 02:47:03 PM »
Is there a warning to save on exit? Everyone is probably used to VB6 always autosaving every single increment so some people might forget and close without saving

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #774 on: April 09, 2020, 03:16:18 PM »
Is there a warning to save on exit? Everyone is probably used to VB6 always autosaving every single increment so some people might forget and close without saving

Not at the moment, although would be an easy addition.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #775 on: April 09, 2020, 04:19:51 PM »
Is there a reason for Genome Research being unequal in the final techs in VB6 Aurora?
There is for example a Base Oxygen Level +90% Tech with a cost of 160.000 RP but no equivalent -90%. Minus stops at -75%.
Same for Base Temperature. That goes up only to +75°C but down to -90°C at a RP of 150.000 RP (why not the usual double as all the others?).
And last but not least the Temperature Range +25°C also has 150.000 RP instead of the usual double... .

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #776 on: April 09, 2020, 04:27:28 PM »
Is there a reason for Genome Research being unequal in the final techs in VB6 Aurora?
There is for example a Base Oxygen Level +90% Tech with a cost of 160.000 RP but no equivalent -90%. Minus stops at -75%.
Same for Base Temperature. That goes up only to +75°C but down to -90°C at a RP of 150.000 RP (why not the usual double as all the others?).
And last but not least the Temperature Range +25°C also has 150.000 RP instead of the usual double... .

I've added the two missing techs. The temperature techs all have 150k max, so I changed the oxygen to 150k to match.

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #777 on: April 10, 2020, 11:23:21 AM »
Most definitely not something for any kind of public release timeline, but looking at the latest turn time video one of my first reactions was that I really hope the display frame and other tabs get organised cleanly in the future so that options are grouped into segments not just a long sprawling list.

Just curious if that is already on the QoL things to do much further down the line or not? I imagine it probably is, but ya never know what someone might get so used too that they don't even notice it anymore and forget it's a thing. lol
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline hadi

• Aurora blind player
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #778 on: April 11, 2020, 05:05:48 AM »
I had a question about the fleet manager.
Are there alternative methods of  adding ships to a fleet or sorting fleets for admin commands besides drag and drop?
At this point, I was suspecting demonic intervention.
-Steve

Offline Yesus

• Leading Rate
  • Y
« Reply #779 on: April 11, 2020, 05:19:42 AM »
In VB6 if i am building something and the end date is for example 3 of August and the current time is 2 of August and i run 1 day increment, the end date is now 4 of August, and the delay continues forever if i keep trying 1 day increments, in order to complete the building i need to do a 5 day increment, this will be fixed in the C# version?