Author Topic: Vista Installation issues  (Read 3064 times)

Offline VoidStalker (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • V
Vista Installation issues
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:12:09 PM »
Heh heh, I'm still wandering around the site exploring....

After much dl'ing and updating, I still have the msstdfmt.dll problem (it says its in, but fails some test or other) - I hate vista - but, I do have an xp machine, and will attempt to set up aurora on that computer and see what I can see.  Still being new, I have yet to see what others did to get their vista machines to play nicely, so a point in the right direction would be well received.  I have to say I am quite impressed with what I am reading here, and hope to actually get aurora up and running when time permits.

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
Re: Group Membership
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 10:03:16 AM »
Quote from: "VoidStalker"
Heh heh, I'm still wandering around the site exploring....

After much dl'ing and updating, I still have the msstdfmt.dll problem (it says its in, but fails some test or other) - I hate vista - but, I do have an xp machine, and will attempt to set up aurora on that computer and see what I can see.  Still being new, I have yet to see what others did to get their vista machines to play nicely, so a point in the right direction would be well received.  I have to say I am quite impressed with what I am reading here, and hope to actually get aurora up and running when time permits.

I don't think you posted this in the right place.  Try the "getting aurora to work" thread.  I wouldn't touch microsoft vista with a 10 foot pole but I recall noticing some people getting Aurora to work with vista there by registering a particular DLL or such.  Good luck.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:30:01 AM »
I had no trouble getting aurora to run in vista.  Where I had a problem was with updating the program.  Because of vista's built in protections I can not just copy the file over into the directory.  I had to first delete the old file, empty the recycle bin and then copy the new files (Stevefire.mdb and Aurora.exe) in.  Once that was done the first thing I did upon opening aurora was to compact the database.  This actually seemed to fix all the problems I was having.

Good luck to you.  I never had a problem with a specific dll.

Brian

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 01:56:49 PM »
I ran on Vista with no issues. Not even the "delete and really delete" the exe one. But then, I was running as full admin, and Aurora.exe was running as admin also.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 02:29:07 PM »
Did you run the register32 with admin rights?  I had issues until I ran the register programme with full admin rights.
Welchbloke

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Vista Installation issues
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 06:57:08 PM »
I split the topic and moved it to the Installation forum :)

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 12:52:25 PM »
I currently use Vista and for what its worth I run Aurora from a folder on my desktop. I have failed to run it in the more conventional form off the C drive for several versions now.

PS Aurora thinks I am running v4.25, but my task manager thinks its v4.24. Is this what every one else sees?

regards
IanD

Offline Haegan2005

• Commander
    • http://home.grandecom.net/~silkexpressions/WarStars.htm
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 01:36:43 PM »
I fixed it by pasting the msstdfmt.dll into the Auroa working directory. Now this was on XP, but it should work for Vista.

Offline goodchild

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • g
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 10:15:49 PM »
I'm unable to install Aurora on my Vista machine, upon launching the setup I get "Error writing to logfile 'C:\WINDOWS\ST6UNST.005'  and then an "Unexpected Setup Error" and the install stops.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 09:15:44 AM »
Quote from: "goodchild"
I'm unable to install Aurora on my Vista machine, upon launching the setup I get "Error writing to logfile 'C:\WINDOWS\ST6UNST.005'  and then an "Unexpected Setup Error" and the install stops.
Any Vista users able to comment on this one? It's not something I have seen before.

Steve

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 12:57:11 PM »
Quote from: "goodchild"

I had this issue as well. I run Vista 64 bit, and for me, I had antivirus stomping the install due to the way it was seeing the VB script. I run Kapersky, and I had to disable the AV, then run the Aurora install. Once Aurora was installed, I had no problems running the updates.

You might check your antivirus, and you may need to run the install as administrator if it still throws errors.