Author Topic: Maintenance facilities and research related to them.  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Journier (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • J
Maintenance facilities and research related to them.
« on: February 15, 2010, 08:27:06 PM »
what is with maintenance facilities and the research related to them that apparently does nothing like what it says?

the research description for maintenance facilities says

title : Maintenance production 70 sp per annum
 Increases production of maintenance supplies by each maintenance facility to 14 supply points per year

Not only does the title mismatch with point production it seems??, but my maintenance facilities sure dont produce any maintenance supplies! i have to produce them all via industry :)

Offline Micro102

• M
Re: Maintenance facilities and research related to them.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:53:13 PM »
Your misunderstanding the use of the maintenance facility, it does not make supplies, it prevents ships from using supplies.

Like in the description, 20 maintenance facilities can support ships of 4000 or less, so any ships of 4000 tons or less won't get damaged and use maintenance supplies.

Imagine they are a place that ships can dock and turn off and not get damaged, leaving a ship in the middle of space can cause failures and make it use maintenance supplies.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:55:08 PM »
I think this is an "appendix" tech (there for historical reasons but appears totally useless :-)  Steve probably announced this somewhere and I just missed it.

The tech you're looking at is the maintenance facility equivalent of the fuel production techs for refineries.  Since responsibility #2 is gone, however, I suspect it's useless.  I've been meaning to ask about this on the board (so Steve can take it out if appropriate) but keep forgetting - thanks for asking!

John

Offline Journier (OP)

• J
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 09:10:35 PM »
hmmm, Hopefully that gets added back into the game at some point, sorta weird just having supply pop outta thin air.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 09:13:01 PM »
Quote from: "Journier"
hmmm, Hopefully that gets added back into the game at some point, sorta weird just having supply pop outta thin air.

It doesn't (pop out of thin air) - you need to build it with your construction factories.  And the "supplies" are technically spare parts - they're only consumed when something breaks on a ship.  When ships are in orbit and being maintained by a maintenance facility, then this is turned into a direct consumption of minerals - that's what the table on the bottom of the mining tab of F2 is.

John

Offline Journier (OP)

• J
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 09:31:30 PM »
ok so its just abstracted into the build cost/time of your ship laden with supplies correct?

because at the time of construction your ships are full of supplies...

dont see where your construction facilities come into play here. unless you meant shipyard.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 09:50:38 PM »
Quote from: "Journier"
ok so its just abstracted into the build cost/time of your ship laden with supplies correct?

because at the time of construction your ships are full of supplies...
Yes.
dont see where your construction facilities come into play here. unless you meant shipyard.
No, I mean the "maintenance supplies" construction option on the industry tab of the F2 screen.  As your ships are deployed, they'll have maintenance failures which consume supplies.  Those consumed supplies need to be restocked from planets, and the planetary stocks need to be replenished by building them on the industry tab.

John

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 04:30:38 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
I think this is an "appendix" tech (there for historical reasons but appears totally useless :)

I have deleted the maintenance production techs for v5.0

Steve