Author Topic: multiple ruins question  (Read 1351 times)

Offline vonduus (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is your captain speaking
multiple ruins question
« on: November 11, 2013, 08:43:57 AM »
In my current game I have discovered four ruin sites so far. The first one is explored, excavated and exhausted, the second one is explored and in the middle of the process of excavation.

Now, on both the third and fourth ones I have a xenology team, but they seem to find nothing, although they have been on site for five resp. two years. Both governors are expert xenologists, and all the military leaders in the garrison, especially the chief of the construction brigade, have a xenology bonus.

But they don't find anything.

So my question is: Is there a hard cap on the number of ruin sites that can be excavated at any one time? Or is it just me being impatient?

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
Re: multiple ruins question
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:25:31 AM »
According to the wiki:

"Planets with Ruins require a Xenology team to be transported to them, then have them take the long process (up to years) to discover all there is to know about the Ruins and the empire they belonged to."

I never had problems to excavate one ruin and send xeno teams to uncover decipher others simultaneously. Perhaps you are just unlucky.

Offline vonduus (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:08:10 AM »
Yes, and impatient. Especially because the site under excavation gives practically no yields; so far 8 out of 11 discoveries have been deemed "beyond repair". Probably (?) because the planet it is on is classified as "unsuitable". But at least I found a Deep Space Tracking Station, a factory and an automine.

Well then, time is the one resource I have plenty of in this game. Still 52 abandoned installations to go

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »
Probably (?) because the planet it is on is classified as "unsuitable". But at least I found a Deep Space Tracking Station, a factory and an automine.

As I understand the wiki planet classification has nothing to do with the chance of success:

"Each production cycle, an engineering brigade has a chance to make a recovery roll on an installation. If this roll is unsuccessful, nothing happens. If it is successful, then there is a chance that the facility they recover is unable to be repaired. The chance of this happening determined by taking a random roll from 1-200 and comparing it to 200 - (Engineer Brigade Morale + Xenology Bonus of the Brigade commander)."

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Ruins

Offline vonduus (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 01:56:48 PM »
Yes, my use of "probably" was unfounded, it seems ;).

Thanks for pointing me at the right page in the wiki, there is a lot of info there, but it can be hard to find some of the details.

Like, the rule says nothing of what role the governor plays, if any. In the wiki section on leaders it is stated that xenology is only used by xenology team members and construction brigade officers, but does this mean that it is safe to deduct that the governor's xenology level is not factored in at all?

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 12:58:22 AM »
It can take ages. Stay the course.  One game recently I had at least five different excavations going at once.  One of them was a TL5 ruin with 1100 installations.  Database crashed and I lost it all :(