Author Topic: What's the best method for jump point defense?  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
What's the best method for jump point defense?
« on: November 30, 2020, 11:23:34 AM »
My first game in ages took an interesting turn: Sol has only one jump point out of it, and the system on the other side is completely barren. The single JP gives me a choke point that I can use to funnel hostiles through, assuming that there aren't any dormant points in the solar system. Given that the system on the other side probably won't be seeing any colonies, I can use it for a staging area if I need to.

What do people like to use to defend a jump point? I could use a station on either the near or far side of the JP; I'm assuming near is better, since it'll be able to take advantage of jump shock. That makes maintenance difficult; maybe a pair of stations that uses a tug to "change shifts" so they can take turns in overhaul? Anything done on the far side of the JP should probably wait until the grav survey is finished.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Offline Lord Solar

• See above
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Everlasting Glory to the Imperium
  • Discord Username: Lord Solar
Re: What's the best method for jump point defense?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 12:22:42 PM »
Static missile bases are fantastic to station at jump points backed up by some beam bases too.

The following users thanked this post: Iestwyn

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 12:32:25 PM »
This is a great use case for maintenance modules!

These are commercial components that act like maintenance facilities (except they can't produce MSP). You can build a big ol commercial station with a bunch of maintenance modules and storage bays, then park it at the jump point along with your defenses. The defenses will be maintained, so no overhaul micro! You can also stick a recreational module on the station so that crew deployment time doesn't tick up.

Downside is that your giant, expensive maintenance station is now right next to the jump point and may get shot at. You could park things a ways away from the point, and keep a picket on the other side. Then, if you see something nasty you can move the battle stations to the point while keeping the commercial one clear. Even engineless, fuel-less stations can move at 1km/s, so given a week of warning you can move them 500,000 km.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 12:33:49 PM »
I use 30,000 ton laser turret bases.  The bases are heavily shielded, since they can't rely on speed to evade return fire.  I keep them on station 24/7, by including maintenance and R&R stations at the same location.

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 02:04:19 PM »
Wow, an excellent series of answers already! I think I'll get working on it now... thanks!

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 02:14:59 PM »
You can actually make a strong argument for a far side jump point defense, because then you can jump back through the point to avoid incoming missiles, which is also an enormous tactical advantage. Both have their own pros and cons, IMHO.

My preferred near side JP defense is box launcher missile bases. I used to like beam fighter bases, but the meson nerfs hit that tactic hard.

As great as giant beam bases might sound, they have issues in practice. If the enemy comes through in squadron jumps they could already be hundreds of thousands of kilometers away, robbing you of the chance for a point blank salvo, and while jump shock prevents weapons fire it does not disable engines so they can immediately run away. So generally you'd get one shot at medium-ish range and then the enemy will pull back, and if they have missiles and you don't say goodbye to your beam bases once jump shock ends. Ton for ton, one shot from heavy beams at anything but point blank range can't really compare to the damage missiles can dish out.

Jump shock also isn't as big an advantage as some people think. Some ships will start recovering within 10-20 seconds, with others taking longer, so mostly it just buys you the first shot and probably disrupts some of their PD with the first missile salvo. Of course, getting in the first shot can be pretty huge, especially if you're using box launchers or (if you're still going with beams) massive spinal weapons. Beam fighters don't benefit much from getting the first salvo, but they can keep use high rate of fire weapons to wear enemies down and starting combat point blank with enemy fighters is a bad tactical position, and short of a massive technology gap they're going to be very hard to run from.

A third option might be some sort of FAC/parasite warship base with ships just large enough to carry a heavy spinal beam weapon. That would combine the advantage of heavy beam defenses while providing a platform the enemy can't just fly out of range of.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 02:29:37 PM »
I'd second everything Bremen said, here. Jump shock is a bit overrated, especially against NPRs that suffer half the value humans do.

One thing he left out, though, is MICROWAVES. Smack those ships with high power microwaves when they come through and they won't get to shoot at all. Then apply weapons of your choice until lightly singed.

A jump point with a pile of microwave FAC sitting on it is bloody awful to assault. If you don't have heavy shields, you lose all your fire controls before you get to shoot back.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 02:31:53 PM »
I'd second everything Bremen said, here. Jump shock is a bit overrated, especially against NPRs that suffer half the value humans do.

One thing he left out, though, is MICROWAVES. Smack those ships with high power microwaves when they come through and they won't get to shoot at all. Then apply weapons of your choice until lightly singed.

A jump point with a pile of microwave FAC sitting on it is bloody awful to assault. If you don't have heavy shields, you lose all your fire controls before you get to shoot back.

This will not work against enemies that have good EM hardening. All my stuff has a 5% chance to get touched by microwaves - though it does make the FCs more expensive.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 02:49:34 PM »

This will not work against enemies that have good EM hardening. All my stuff has a 5% chance to get touched by microwaves - though it does make the FCs more expensive.

True! Spying saves lives.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 04:17:48 PM »
I guess if you already have the maintenance and recreation modules on site, you don't even need the fighter bases. You can just have a carrier drop off a bunch of fighters or other ships with minimal engineering and endurance options, and have them float around waiting. Though make sure you keep regular resupply runs of MSP coming or all the fighters will explode when you run out.

The downside, of course, is that the maintenance and recreation ships will be enormous targets if something comes through and doesn't instantly die. But I suppose that's also true of fighter bases.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 04:32:02 PM »
 - I use corvettes, as well as fighter garrisons... but then again I don't defend my Jump Points usually... IMO anything worth really defending is worth parking a few real warships at. Anything else is worth retaking, anything not worth either is worth losing. My defenses focus on PPV and slowing the enemy down, buying time for a local defense fleet and /or the "real fleets" to show up. I use multi-layered defenses including STOs to protect my planets... as far as I'm concerned if the aliens want to occupy space, they can have it. I'd rather let them have to dedicate resources to defending and occupying things that have no real value.

- But, YMMV. I'd suggest Commercial Hangars on "Missile Bases" You tuck little fighters that are naught but missile tubes with an M-FCS, one or two Sensor elements to spot for 'em, and shove 'em into a commercial hangar with an Ordinance Transfer System. The Commercial ship has no deployment needs, and the missile tubes have their deployment clocks AND their Maintenance clocks frozen when docked, so it's good enough for a defense system. The Ordinance Transfer System will let them be reloaded from a Commercial Magazine by launching them, a small 50-Ton magazine and 0.3x Reduced Size Launchers in them might be useful here, too.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 04:56:57 PM »
- I use corvettes, as well as fighter garrisons... but then again I don't defend my Jump Points usually... IMO anything worth really defending is worth parking a few real warships at. Anything else is worth retaking, anything not worth either is worth losing. My defenses focus on PPV and slowing the enemy down, buying time for a local defense fleet and /or the "real fleets" to show up. I use multi-layered defenses including STOs to protect my planets... as far as I'm concerned if the aliens want to occupy space, they can have it. I'd rather let them have to dedicate resources to defending and occupying things that have no real value.

- But, YMMV. I'd suggest Commercial Hangars on "Missile Bases" You tuck little fighters that are naught but missile tubes with an M-FCS, one or two Sensor elements to spot for 'em, and shove 'em into a commercial hangar with an Ordinance Transfer System. The Commercial ship has no deployment needs, and the missile tubes have their deployment clocks AND their Maintenance clocks frozen when docked, so it's good enough for a defense system. The Ordinance Transfer System will let them be reloaded from a Commercial Magazine by launching them, a small 50-Ton magazine and 0.3x Reduced Size Launchers in them might be useful here, too.

Commercial hangars do not freeze maintenance clocks. At least, they aren't supposed to.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg103584#msg103584

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 05:14:10 PM »

Commercial hangars do not freeze maintenance clocks. At least, they aren't supposed to.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg103584#msg103584

- They do, I've tested it... albeit on a much older version... What they DON'T do is reverse either the deployment clock or the maintenance clocks. So while a Warship won't degrade while it's inside the hangar, it will not get any better and as such each subsequent launch will keep increasing the deployment and the maintenance clock. The post in question is roughly 31/2 years old, and not too accurate IIRC as you cannot reload ships inside of a Commercial Hangar.

- Regardless, each Commercial Hangar is still only 1,000 Tons of space, so you only need one Maintenance Module per hangar, and the deployment clock is for sure frozen so you save about 92,900 Tons this way if you have 1x C. Hangar, 1x M. Module, 1x Ordinance Transfer System and 1x C. Magazine... that weight coming from the Rec. Module that you don't need since you could just roll up a Rec. Ship or a Rec. Station to periodically... relieve the crew. Since you won't be launching unless you are under attack.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 05:21:23 PM »
Reloading by commercial hangars was fixed for 1.10

Armor repair by hangars is being added for 1.13.

You should probably report the maintenance freeze as a bug.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 05:51:27 PM »
Reloading by commercial hangars was fixed for 1.10

Armor repair by hangars is being added for 1.13.

You should probably report the maintenance freeze as a bug.

- I haven't confirmed the maintenance freeze for v1.12.0, so I won't report it. It was in an older version, and it may already have been fixed. I would consider it possible that Steve has forgot to put some fixes on the changelog from time to time. :) Regardless... I don't want to test it right now, and I haven't done so, so I won't report it. It's besides the point, as the deployment freeze and fixed reloading means you can have a ~10,000 Tons station to hold ~1,000 Tons of missile tube in stasis provided you have MSP and a C. Hangar... since you wouldn't really need a dedicated Recreational Module for it. You'd just need the C. Magazine, Maintenance Modules, C. Hangar, and MSP storage... maybe some Cargo Shuttle Bays, too.

- Ok, so I just tested it... yep, that's been fixed. Maintenance goes up now.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 05:58:03 PM by xenoscepter »