Author Topic: Moving missiles  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Zeebie (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
Moving missiles
« on: September 17, 2012, 12:13:50 PM »
So I'm building some missile PDCs on Earth, and plan on assembling them on Mars.   However, Mars doesn't have an ordnance factory.   How do I move a stockpile of missiles to Mars?  I don't see an appropriate order for my freighters to do this. 

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
Re: Moving missiles
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 12:20:11 PM »
Only ships with magazines can load missiles.  You need to create a ship design with a large magazine capacity, designate it as a 'collier' through the tickbox in the upper right corner of the class design screen, and use that to ferry your missiles around.

That said, I would really like the ability to "pack" missiles into a format transportable by freighters.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 12:29:02 PM »
I presume you mean that your building components for missile PDC's on Earth for assembly on Mars.  ;)

The reason your not finding an order for freighters to move missiles is that they can't.  Aurora require magazine space not cargo space for ordinance.

What you want in game terms is a collier.  In Aurora a collier is a ship with magazines that is a designated ammo resupply point.  Configure the class loadout for the missile types you wish to transport.  Then you can "Load Ordnance from Colony"  at Earth and "Provide Ordnance Reload for" at Mars once the first PDC is completed.  

I tend to do this with a collier, but without the loadout changes.  Just use the ordinance tap to load/unload the desired missiles.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 12:46:14 PM »
Similarly, fuel and maintenance supplies need to be transported by tankers and supply ships. Or if you double-click a ship in the task group window and then select the Misc tab, you can manually transfer those.

Offline Zeebie (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 07:20:28 AM »
Ok, I've got my pre-fabs on Mars and a collier on the way with missiles.   However, when I try to assemble the pre-fabs, it demands minerals.   Is that right that assembling pre-fabs takes minerals?

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 07:42:35 AM »
Ok, I've got my pre-fabs on Mars and a collier on the way with missiles.   However, when I try to assemble the pre-fabs, it demands minerals.   Is that right that assembling pre-fabs takes minerals?
Yes that does require minerals (for welding the stuff together and doing the work that was not pre-fabricated). Keep in mind you also need someone to do the actual assembly work- either engineers or industry.