Author Topic: Space 1889 - Part II  (Read 6705 times)

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
Re: Space 1889 - Part II
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 02:05:30 AM »
I don't think anyone would, short of cataclysmic upheaval or a radically alien psychology among the Venusians or the Martians.  In each case, the majority of the population is based on the planet of their species' birth, and even if most of the population moved out to colonies, I would think the species would keep a caretaker population and a strong military on their homeworld rather then let another species claim it.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
I quite liked one of Steve's previous games where the NATO/Western faction terraformed 3 or 4 planets/moons in a nearby system and then gradually moved everything from Earth to that system. Ended up having a badass setup with everything nice and compact and very very secure.

But, the reason they moved was because there was radiation and dust problems on Earth because of bombardment and also the other factions where a credible threat to the Navy and Shipyards.

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 06:20:35 PM »
I quite liked one of Steve's previous games where the NATO/Western faction terraformed 3 or 4 planets/moons in a nearby system and then gradually moved everything from Earth to that system. Ended up having a badass setup with everything nice and compact and very very secure.

But, the reason they moved was because there was radiation and dust problems on Earth because of bombardment and also the other factions where a credible threat to the Navy and Shipyards.

Exactly!

Given that Earth doesn't have that problem, do you think all of the humans will migrate out of Sol?

Or will there still be (as per Gyrafalcon) a token presense?
Later,
Matt

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 06:39:49 PM »
Leaving the Homeworld completely behind would be a gigantic psychological and social issue. Even when facing a total nuclear winter, some people would select to remain behind. Without such motivations, millions of people would rather remain in family-tribal-national lands, instead of going to space, no matter how much "better" that other place would be. Or that's my thought on it.

Of course, Aurora allows you to be God-Emperor of Mankind and move every last street urchin off the planet if you so wish  :)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 07:00:21 PM »
quote author=Garfunkel link=topic=5721.msg59041#msg59041 date=1355445589]
Of course, Aurora allows you to be God-Emperor of Mankind and move every last street urchin off the planet if you so wish  :)
[/quote]

Can I have another bowl of space porridge mister?