Author Topic: Further Discussion on Titan Plausibility  (Read 13776 times)

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
Re: Further Discussion on Titan Plausibility
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2016, 07:17:44 PM »
I was in the signal corp and mostly drove one of these (BV 206) loaded with communication equipment around. A quick google says that they are similar to your example. Other units in the company used MT-LB and CV90 as well as some terrain cars and trucks. Sadly I never got to drive anything but my 206 but from what I saw during basic driving training they had no problem.

As for tanks, we had Leo 2s but mostly for the bigger exercises and we never had any basic training together. Only really saw them when we where both in for rest or supplies and since the exercises only really happen during winter, well they can handle snow at least. Those I talked to said that you had to be a bit careful but as long as you dont stop it is probably fine.
Interesting.  The BV 206 is exactly what I was thinking of, although I couldn't remember the name (or that it was originally Swedish).  I'm not sure I'd want to take a Leo 2 (or an M1) into a swamp, but it looks like I underestimated their mobility there.  I may poke around and see if I can find documents on this.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2016, 10:14:14 PM »
Bv-206 and it's improved Finnish borthers, Nasu-110 and Nasu-140, are amazing pieces of tech because they don't have to plow through snow, they hardly sink in it as they are so light:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu_Nasu

But you cannot get the same low ground pressure with an actual tank. However, modern tanks are pretty reliable and go through most rough terrain. Swamp is not a problem unless it's very deep - as long as engine is not flooded, the tank will just plow through soft ground. Soft sand is actually a bigger hazard, as it can pile up between the track and the hull, eventually pushing the track off. I've seen it happen, not a pretty sight.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2016, 08:28:44 AM »
Of course there is a solution that resolves everyone's issues at the same time. You have a tank to start with, but allow the weapon systems to be mounted on folding supports so if needed it could for example lift a weapon above the height of a building and still fire while in cover. Then just take that a stage further and build in articulated supports that can fold out to lift the entire vehicle off the ground in cases where needed, say like crossing a river when it is too deep for tracks and you do not have time to wait for a bridge, or simply crossing terrain that has undulations far to uneven for tracks to cope with (something like a boulder field).

Problem solved since what you actually have is now a mech, that also is a tank and can perform the roles of both. If we had the metallurgy technology and ability to create speed and agility of movement then I could see it as a natural evolution of a tank as they would no longer need to ask for things like bridges or airlift support for most tasks. Yet keep all the functions of a tank with it's inherit benefits.