Author Topic: Back Up Your Save File, People  (Read 1313 times)

Offline randal7 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
Back Up Your Save File, People
« on: July 18, 2010, 04:30:37 PM »
My game is in the year 2054, which represents about 4 weeks of play at about 2 hours a night. I have 5 extrasolar colonies, with all the micromanagement material shuffling that involves. Last night, in the midst of what was apparently a huge NPR space battle, the game just locks. No error box, just sits there on the same date & time for half an hour. When I try opening and minimizing the windows, I get "Aurora is not responding". Aargh. My most recent save duplicates the problem when I reload. Fortunately, I have a six months earlier save which is apparently free of the problem.

My point being, several saves over a period of time is probably a good idea. When people around here suggest this, they are right.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Back Up Your Save File, People
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 04:44:56 PM »
Might be worth zipping your save and seeing if Steve can have a look. If it is a yo-yo problem then he may be able to fix it and hand it back.

Offline randal7 (OP)

• r
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 05:07:25 PM »
I looked in the FAQ and bug sections and didn't see directions for how to do this/ where to send it. How would he prefer I send this to him?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 12:14:52 AM »
Quote from: "randal7"
I looked in the FAQ and bug sections and didn't see directions for how to do this/ where to send it. How would he prefer I send this to him?
You can email it to me at stevewalmsley at btinternet.com

The only drawback is that it may be a few days before I get chance to do anything with it. I am playing 100% live at the moment, rather than online, so my free time is limited.

Steve

Offline randal7 (OP)

• r
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 08:19:07 AM »
Thanks, Steve. I'll try and send it to you later today. I've played an earlier save past the same point with no problem, so it's not urgent. I'll send the save that locks up anyway in case you want to check it out. I'm using 4.9-something (I think it's 4.91) so it may be some problem you've already found and fixed in the new version.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 08:31:17 AM »
Quote from: "randal7"
Thanks, Steve. I'll try and send it to you later today. I've played an earlier save past the same point with no problem, so it's not urgent. I'll send the save that locks up anyway in case you want to check it out. I'm using 4.9-something (I think it's 4.91) so it may be some problem you've already found and fixed in the new version.
Unfortunately, if it is v4.91 I probably can't help :(. A version of the database that old just won't run with the latest version of the program. I can look at the event log in the DB though and see if it is anything obvious.

Steve