Author Topic: SAPL and The Troy  (Read 1598 times)

Offline sonofliberty (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
SAPL and The Troy
« on: May 10, 2012, 04:44:25 PM »
I have been reading John Ringo and his series about Earth in a TN type universe. I was wondering if the ability to build the Solar Amplified Pump Laser and the Troy inflated asteroid battle station/ship exist in the game? I have been looking for relevant techs and I am either missing the correct applications or researching the wrong paths. Are they in the game?

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
Re: SAPL and The Troy
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 07:07:47 PM »
John Ringo does tend to write really good fiction.  8)

Offensive solar concentrators such as the SAPL do not exist in Aurora. Also note that solar intensity currently has no effect on Aurora TN ships: they can be parked in low orbit around stars without risk.

Asteroid inflation technology does not exist per say, but Troy-like approximations can be built. One method is to assemble stacks of prefabbed PDCs on an asteroid of choice. This would probably be mechanically/defensively/offensively closest, except that asteroids, and thus your Troy, can't currently be moved. Alternatively, massive death-star class ships can be built around orbital habitats by planet industry. The draw back to this approach is that if weaponized they would burn maintenance supplies like fuel if you play with maintenance failures on.

Those are the only two Asteroid-fortress production methods I know of.

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 12:32:56 PM »
Alternatively, massive death-star class ships can be built around orbital habitats by planet industry. The draw back to this approach is that if weaponized they would burn maintenance supplies like fuel if you play with maintenance failures on.

Those are the only two Asteroid-fortress production methods I know of.

Naturally, a modular approach would circumvent the maintenance problem.

Build a huge Death Star containing an Orbital Habitat (to enable Factory production) which includes all of the commercial components... Engines, Armor, CIWS, Maintenance modules, etc.

Then build several dozen Tractor-Beam equipped Weapons and Sensor modules, each with its own Engineering section. Because the Weapons and Sensor modules are relatively small, there will be little problem with maintenance life-times... and you could include a few Maintenance-storage modules anyway.

The weapons modules can lock onto the Death Star mothership with their Tractor Beams and be carried into battle, while the Mothership's Maintenance modules can zero-out the maintenance clocks of the weapons modules any time the assembly reaches an asteroid, moon, or non-gas-giant planet. With 5,000-ton weapons and sensor modules, only 25 Maintenance modules (total) are needed to overhaul as many parasites as you care to attach to the mothership.

EDIT:

Like so:

Death Star class Orbital Habitat    816,800 tons     10424 Crew     67368.2 BP      TCS 16336  TH 34179.6  EM 0
5977 km/s     Armour 20-778     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 52    Max Repair 200 MSP
Troop Capacity: 26 Battalions    Cargo 5000    Habitation Capacity 50,000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 5    Tractor Beam    
Maintenance Modules: 25 module(s) capable of supporting ships of 5000 tons

Magnetic Confinement Fusion Drive E0.6 (250)    Power 390.625    Fuel Use 6%    Signature 136.7188    Armour 0    Exp 4%
Fuel Capacity 5,150,000 Litres    Range 189.1 billion km   (366 days at full power)

CIWS-250 (20x8)    Range 1000 km     TS: 25000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as an Orbital Habitat for construction purposes

Moves at nearly 6,000 kps (over 5,000 kps with the weapons and sensor modules attached), enough fuel for a year at full speed, a cruising range of nearly 200 billion km, twenty layers of Armor and twenty CIWS, and it carries a Division of ground troops and enough Maintenance modules to keep any number of attached 5,000-ton weapon and sensor modules overhauled... although the overhauls themselves will require it to orbit a planet, moon or asteroid, and will require a small quantity of minerals, carried internally or in tractor-locked modules.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 12:59:16 PM by blue emu »

Offline sonofliberty (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 03:48:56 PM »
The Emu Strikes Back.  ;D

Excellent idea BE. I should have guessed that you would find a way. Is Steve tired of you "breaking" his game yet?  8)

It is really too bad you never got into Darkest Hour. It really trumps HOI3. Then again, if Aurora were to get any type of real GUI, I would have to abandon Paradox completely.