Author Topic: Corporate Federation - Comments  (Read 24820 times)

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Corporate Federation - Comments
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2019, 05:33:48 PM »
Yeah I wasn't expecting fast missiles to work so well.

I think logistics are still going to fore your fleet redesign, but at least you don't need a new fleet for the planetary attack.

Exactly right.  The Admiralty (I) realized before this attack that their current missile fleet was right at the limit that their economy could supply with missiles, and perhaps past that limit, given the ongoing shift of population away from Earth and the worker shortages the Republic as a whole faces.  Resource depletion will become an issue within the next few years as well, and, in fact, more and more of the Republic's cargo tonnage is being devoted to moving automated mines away from Earth to forestall this possibility, or at least reduce its effects.  Once Dregluk Prime is secured by ground troops the Republic will have way more industrial facilities than they can provide workers for, and that will be true for years, more probably a decade at least. 

Given all of that, the Admiralty has gone whole-heartedly for the beam equipped fleet to supplement their missile fleet.  Eventually there will probably be more beam ships than missile ships. 

Kurt

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2019, 01:59:46 AM »
If the Federation wasn't so genocidal then taking over the Dregluk homeworld would solve a lot of manpower problems, oh well. This is why role playing is cool.

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2019, 09:01:08 AM »
If the Federation wasn't so genocidal then taking over the Dregluk homeworld would solve a lot of manpower problems, oh well. This is why role playing is cool.

Yes, all those Dregluk workers are very tempting, given the fact that even without the Dregluk industry, the Republic is currently short 133 million workers.  Even the moderate politicians in the Republic aren't advocating the incorporation of the Dregluk within the Republic, as they would outnumber humanity by a significant margin.  Or they would until the radiation on their home world reduces their population.

Kurt

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2019, 12:11:25 PM »
Ahahaha, the plot thickens with Invaders now present!

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2019, 05:18:01 PM »
Ahahaha, the plot thickens with Invaders now present!

It gets worse.  Nuff said. 

Kurt

The following users thanked this post: xenxen

Offline HighTemplar

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • H
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2019, 07:06:36 PM »
It seems to have got better so far with the change in leadership, a question: what faction is consul Payne in?

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2019, 11:21:10 PM »
It seems to have got better so far with the change in leadership, a question: what faction is consul Payne in?

The Fiscal Realists.  She was brought in to govern Earth when the Republic was losing money and in danger of going negative.  The Interim Government and then the early Republic spent the vast treasury that the Corporate Federation had built up, and was running out of money quickly.  Thanks to her skill in raising funds, several changes in the way the Republic was doing things, and the refocusing of R&D onto fiscal matters, she managed to stave off insolvency and has remained the governor till now.  The Realists are one of the smaller parties in the Senate, but have several prestigious members and have generally taken no position on the genocide of other races.  They merely point out that humanity needs its house in order to deal with anything else.  She was really a compromise candidate, no ones first choice, but no one really objected to her either. 

Kurt

The following users thanked this post: HighTemplar

Offline HighTemplar

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • H
« Reply #157 on: March 25, 2019, 02:45:58 AM »
So more questions (feel free to ignore them). What are factions are there in the senate, how are senators elected? (electorates? planet wide?) and how many senators are there? (if you have said already and I have just missed it I do apologize)

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2019, 11:03:36 AM »
So more questions (feel free to ignore them). What are factions are there in the senate, how are senators elected? (electorates? planet wide?) and how many senators are there? (if you have said already and I have just missed it I do apologize)

I haven't said it, so you didn't miss it.  At the formation of the Republic there were 215 autonomous regions on Earth, each with two Senators.  In addition, at that time, there were five Senators for off planet colonies, so there were a total of 220 Senators.  Since the formation of the Republic the demographics of the Republic have changed quite a bit, given the forced migration to Mars and Ganymede.  Currently, there are still 220 Senators, but the bulk of the Senators now originate on Mars. 

The Senate is divided into many parties, some official and some that are more relaxed, transitory, or casual.  The Human Purity Party, led by Senator, then Consul, Young, was one of the largest, although it has been losing support as the Dregluk became less of a threat, and as more and more people left Earth.  The Human Purity Party was fully in support of the war and the genocide of the Dregluk.  In addition, the HPP was against any technology that modified baseline humans, such as implant tech or genetic modification.  In part, the HPP, and the Human Purity Church, which backed the party, gained so much power and respect because one of their primary focuses were remediation of radiation damage to Earth, and medical assistance for those affected by the radiation from the bombardment. 

The Fiscal Conservatives, also called the Fiscal Realists, are a smaller but influential party that advocates for sound fiscal and economic policies.  They believe that a strong military must be supported by a strong economy, and that without that economy the strong military will smother and ultimately destroy the state.  While most other parties respect the Fiscal Conservatives for their desire to build up the Republic's economy, they also think of them as somewhat naïve for their dogged desire to look to the economy first, last, and always. 

The War Hawks are a large party primarily focused on the military and the war, and have long been allied to the Human Purity Party.  This alliance was thrown into disarray when the information from Eden was given to the Senate, and this more than anything forced Consul Young to step down. 

There are numerous minor parties that form and dissolve constantly.  There are nationalists, who want to return to the old days of nation states, religious groups formed around ancient religions, and planetary groups representing the particular interests of their specific colony. 

Kurt

The following users thanked this post: HighTemplar

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2019, 01:35:54 PM »
Oh wow. That's a massacre!

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2019, 11:24:14 AM »
Just an update.  You may have noticed that I took a break from posting for a while.  This is largely related to my computers infection with a pernicious case of HOI4 that just doesn't seem to want to go away.  I'll probably be getting back to a more regular posting schedule now.  Probably.

Kurt

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2019, 11:59:34 AM »
I played HoI3 so much, especially with mods, that I just can't get into HoI4.

Is this the final end of the Dregluk or is there still some die-hard elements hiding in the deep dark?

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2019, 01:55:14 PM »
over a billion units of fuel? I think your empire might have resolved it's fuel crisis at any rater

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2019, 05:58:47 PM »
I played HoI3 so much, especially with mods, that I just can't get into HoI4.

Is this the final end of the Dregluk or is there still some die-hard elements hiding in the deep dark?

You never really know.  Of course, all of the Dregluk colonies encountered to date were dysfunctional, so I don't think the Republic is very worried.  There are other aliens out there, though.

Kurt

Offline Cavgunner

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #164 on: April 26, 2019, 08:13:26 PM »
I just want to say that this has been great.  Although I started my current campaign before I found yours, you've given me a lot of inspiration.  It's also provided a lot of insight (and feelings of dread) in terms of what to expect should I encounter an NPR that is bigger and badder than humanity.  Of course you are also quite a good storyteller, and that makes it ten times better.  I've really enjoyed following Admiral Foster's exploits and watching how humanity managed to hang on by the skin of its teeth.

I also really like how your ship designs tend to be multi-purpose affairs, and that even your Jump Tenders have teeth.  I feel that this is how proper military ships should be, as it gives then extra capability and character.  :)  But I digress; on the point of design I do have a question.  I've noticed that most of your main combat designs tend to have only 3-5 layers of armor.  Speaking solely for myself this is half of what I tend to run on equivalent designs, so I'd like to hear your philosophy on that issue.