Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions  (Read 348678 times)

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2018, 05:22:28 PM »
Maybe civilian mines could actually deliver the duranium they mine which you don't buy and use that to build infrastructure ( and some other trade goods ) with?

Offline Dr. Toboggan

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2018, 06:24:56 PM »
Maybe civilian mines could actually deliver the duranium they mine which you don't buy and use that to build infrastructure ( and some other trade goods ) with?

You can already set them to do this. 

I disagree with the slippery slope thing, the idea of financial centers and military academies not needing them seems quasi reasonable to me, though less so.  You might need high tech materials to build high tech computers in order to run adequately advanced simulations for both the purposes of the academies and the financial centers.

The suggestion that its 'backwards' seems exceedingly iffy an excuse, I mean is that really a reason to stop all colonization ever until some duranium can be obtained?

I had mostly assumed it was just a vague attempt at balance, which was somewhat undermined by the free infrastructure the civilian market produces.

It could be argued since all of these buildings are controlled by the player, the buildings themselves have some sort of planetary security designation that requires them to be built out of TN materials.  The duranium cost of infrastructure could be lessened, or even eliminated (but with a higher wealth cost).  If your population can grow (and therefore, continue to build buildings) without consuming TN materials, then I don't see a reason why infrastructure could be cheapened.  Plus, all of the names of the minerals are from Star Trek, and we're always used as special materials rather than everyday building materials.

Offline PlasmaXJ

• Leading Rate
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2018, 07:57:55 PM »
This is just a suggestion, but maybe adding a recycling centers would be nice.  It could break components and missiles into minerals more efficiently.  It would work slowly (could be improved via tech).
If your reading this, your not reading my post.

Offline the obelisk

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2018, 08:04:28 AM »
I mentioned something like this in the discussion thread when people were talking about economics, and I still like the idea.  I think it might be nice to have civilian mines actually generate a Trans Newtonian Mineral trade good, and since this has been brought up it would certainly make sense for it to play a part in the production of Infrastructure at least.

Offline King-Salomon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2018, 08:49:23 AM »
New Suggestion:

Adding a new TAB in the "Class Design" window with the "Setup fire controll" of the "Combar Assignments Overview" settings (or something like it) so it would be possible to link the weapons of the new design to fire-controlls etc in the design-phase- all new build ships would be build with this setting as "standart" (can be chanced later anytime like atm).

This would give the "planer" of a design the possibility to see if he has enough fire controll, if the weapons are like he wants etc pp

I really would like to see/plan the fire controll of my designs before building them if possible :)

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan, papent, Rook

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2018, 03:35:21 PM »
You can already set them to do this. 

No. I am taking about the minerals that you don't buy being used for trade goods -> infra generation which is built for free now.

Offline Dr. Toboggan

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2018, 08:20:26 PM »
No. I am taking about the minerals that you don't buy being used for trade goods -> infra generation which is built for free now.

That's a thing? I thought you were talking about "purchase output" from CMC's.

Offline Lazerus

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2018, 11:38:47 PM »
Added a new suggestion in my officer changes thread regarding them and the proposed ship modules for officers.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=9846.msg107100#msg107100

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2018, 07:16:23 AM »
That's a thing?

It's not "a thing" which is why I am suggesting it should be!   ::)

( Because neither duranium vanishing into thin air when you don't buy it nor infrastructure being conjured out of thin air for free makes sense )

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2018, 07:52:40 AM »
It's not "a thing" which is why I am suggesting it should be!   ::)

( Because neither duranium vanishing into thin air when you don't buy it nor infrastructure being conjured out of thin air for free makes sense )

It is a good point. So 'free infrastructure' would only be created based on the Duranium mined by civilian mines (that isn't purchased). Civilian mines can't exist without a large pop in the system so the infrastructure could appear at the system's largest population. Its abstract, but avoids complexity around transportation and production, is much more realistic than now and also slows down the initial civilian growth.

The following users thanked this post: Titanian

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2018, 08:21:48 AM »
Considering that civilian mines mine all minerals, and preferentially select for high quality Duranium and Sorium deposits while not selecting low quality deposits of these minerals no matter how large nor deposits of any other materials this doesn't sound like a good idea to me. You'd have to link civilian ship production to mining of other materials as well and work out more of the civilian economical background activity.

It'd be easier to explain Infrastructure as costing no minerals but large amounts of wealth.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2018, 08:36:49 AM »
Considering that civilian mines mine all minerals, and preferentially select for high quality Duranium and Sorium deposits while not selecting low quality deposits of these minerals no matter how large nor deposits of any other materials this doesn't sound like a good idea to me. You'd have to link civilian ship production to mining of other materials as well and work out more of the civilian economical background activity.

I have considered this in the past as well, plus fuelling civilian ships from civilian harvesters. It adds a lot of complexity around civilians though and it is probably not worth it. The proposal about Duranium for infrastructure does add a useful extra dimension though as it slows down civilian growth and adds meaningful decisions for players regarding the construction of infrastructure.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2018, 09:31:27 AM »
Cool

Longer term it might be cool to have other minerals be used for production of other trade goods ( weighted so minerals availability influence type goods production ), be able to buy minerals from the civilian market ( price scaled by availability ) and have civilians transport around minerals where a profit can be made.

This could cut out alot of micromanagement of hauling around minerals manually ( you just vacuum the civilian market skyrocketing the price and civilians rush to exploit the opportunity to get their hands on that cash ) and lead to a pretty cool and dynamic supply and demand model.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2018, 02:06:33 PM »
I am a bit ambivalent about this. As someone who plays conventional start, it means I will have to devote a LOT of time building infra for new colonies...

Or avoid buying some minerals from CMC, but I'm used to just buying everything, since TN minerals are at a premium when it takes years to leave your home system. And so I generally buy every single scrap of metal they produce.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2018, 03:11:49 PM »
I am a bit ambivalent about this. As someone who plays conventional start, it means I will have to devote a LOT of time building infra for new colonies...

Or avoid buying some minerals from CMC, but I'm used to just buying everything, since TN minerals are at a premium when it takes years to leave your home system. And so I generally buy every single scrap of metal they produce.

I kind of like the struggling part of conventional starts. Wish that it was modeled in even more details with chemical rockets ( low fuel / inefficient ) more conventional techs, and so on

The following users thanked this post: Laurence