Author Topic: Refitting Question(s)  (Read 1333 times)

Offline mrwigggles (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Refitting Question(s)
« on: January 20, 2010, 04:26:19 AM »
Okay, I have a mighty fleet of 13 South Carolina Geo Survey ships that I want to refit into their jump able cousin the South Dakota Geo ship with active sensors and jumpdrive.

I condense the 13 or so ships into one Task Group, and order it to enter orbit around earth. The shipyard is 18tons, and the new ship is 2050tonnes, so the ship yard is able to construct the desired ship, and I retooled the shipyard to constructed the brand new spiffy South Daktota.

When I got to select a ship for refit, it says there are no ships in orbit.

May I have a break down of what needs to happen for a refit or be pointed in the right direction? I did a search on the forum and on the wiki, no dice.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Refitting Question(s)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 05:37:17 AM »
Quote from: "mrwigggles"
Okay, I have a mighty fleet of 13 South Carolina Geo Survey ships that I want to refit into their jump able cousin the South Dakota Geo ship with active sensors and jumpdrive.

I condense the 13 or so ships into one Task Group, and order it to enter orbit around earth. The shipyard is 18tons, and the new ship is 2050tonnes, so the ship yard is able to construct the desired ship, and I retooled the shipyard to constructed the brand new spiffy South Daktota.

May I have a break down of what needs to happen for a refit or be pointed in the right direction? I did a search on the forum and on the wiki, no dice.
My first guess would be that you changed the design rather than making a new design.  In the ship design screen (F5) did you unlock the design and modify it, or did you do a copy and then modify the copy.  If it was the first then you have already changed all of the ships to the new design.  This is a very common mistake that lots of people make, including very experienced players, so don't feel bad if that's the case.

The way that it should work is when you go into the F5 screen you use the button at the bottom to make a copy.  The name changes to the name of the class + Copy.  You then need to rename it to what you want, ie South Dakota mod 2, etc.  Then go into the design screen and make the changes that you want.  You should also go into the original ship design and check the obsolete box if you don't want to build that design any more.

brian

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 05:45:13 AM »
1. select the yard, you have retooled for the new class
2. select "Refit to"
3. Select the _old_ class below "refit to"
4. make sure you refit to the class you realy want (there may be more than one class, your shipyard can build, make sure the right one is selected)
5. select the ship, you want to refit
6. hit "Add Task"

[attachment=0:8hjj7mb3]refit.JPG[/attachment:8hjj7mb3]
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 05:57:39 AM »

This may sound like a stupid question, but you did wait until the fleet reached Earth orbit before issuing the refit order? - I only ask because *I* made that mistake on some of my refits & it took a while to work out (despite having used pretty much the same procedure for YEARS using SA! :oops: )
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 08:37:09 AM »
Quote from: "ZimRathbone"

This may sound like a stupid question, but you did wait until the fleet reached Earth orbit before issuing the refit order? - I only ask because *I* made that mistake on some of my refits & it took a while to work out (despite having used pretty much the same procedure for YEARS using SA! :-)

"Enter Orbit" was put in during one of Steve's multi-nation Earth games so ships could still take advantage of maintenance facilities and stay near Earth without being at point blank (0) range for Earth's PDC.  It is not obvious that all the parts of the code treat it the same way as being parked at Earth after a move-to command.

STEVE - It might help to change the name of the Enter Orbit command - I know that I've accidentally hit it in the past when I want to go to Earth orbit.

John

Offline mrwigggles (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 03:13:40 PM »
Thank you Hawkeye for the break down, it really help give confidence to what I was doing.

I did make a copy of the design, then renamed and waited for the event window to tell me they completed their orders, though John suggestion is probably what the issue is.

I did order the craft to 'Enter Orbit', instead of 'Move To'.

I thought those commands were redundant, but I couldn't readily tell the difference between the two, and went back and forth. I'll try ordering the fleet to 'Move to' earth, and see if that places them in orbit.

Offline mrwigggles (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 03:18:35 PM »
Yea, that did it, thank you for the replies.