Author Topic: "Fast" skirmish game  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Shuul (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
"Fast" skirmish game
« on: April 09, 2013, 09:47:51 AM »
Hello people!
im playing Aurora for a few weeks for now and after 3 my games where i encountered ONLY 1 NPR (despite 80% of NPR spawn chance) with about 40-50 systems explored i want to try to start a different type of game.

So what I basicly want:
1.  Galaxy of 15-20 systems (no RealStars, as it will create more despite the limit if i understand correctly)
2.  No swarm/precursors/NPR spawn chance
3.  5-10 NPRs from the start
4.  No Ovrhaul and untrained crews.
5.  Good starting conditions (like 6-7 shipyards, 20-30 labs and around 500k of research points)

And I have few questins:
a.  Will NPR have the same Research Points as i do?
b.  Will galaxy be expended despite the limit even with no RealStars onption on?
c.  How do you think, will this game cripple to 5sec soon enough after the start due to NPRs fighting each other making it uplayable?

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
Re: "Fast" skirmish game
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »
a) No, unless the NPR happens to generate with the same number of research labs as you did. NPRs generated at game start are given whatever industry, military, and research is appropriate for their population size and government. On average I think they will have the same starting population as you, but there is a random factor that produce aliens both much smaller and much larger than your empire.

b) No, unless you increase the star cap at a later date.

c) 10 NPRs in a 20 system galaxy is going to be a very tight fit with lots of fighting. There will be 5-second increment NPR fights, but if no spoiler races are involved those fights will rarely last more than a few minutes at a time. It will be slow, but not unplayable slow.

5 NPRs should be fun, but I'd suggest no less than 5 stars per NPR to give a little breathing room between everyone.

Also remember that as galaxy fills up cross-linking to previously discovered systems becomes much more common. The smaller the galaxy, the earlier cross links will appear and more tightly nit the galaxy will become. The last time I played a quick-game like this I had 3 NPRs, no spawning, on a 60 star galaxy. By the time I established contact with everyone the jump map looked like this.