Author Topic: A silly question perhaps  (Read 2418 times)

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: A silly question perhaps
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 08:19:23 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
How about this?

Once a "rule book" is written, it's supplied via PDF and print? A 100pg perfect bound black & white paperback manual sized 4.25" x 6.875" would run $6.50 US for printing through Lulu.com. They'll do one off prints. The book can be priced so all that would be paid is printing and shipping, i.e. $6.50 plus whatever shipping costs there are.

But before any printing is done, we'd need the book content, and Steve's approval :)

I have been looking for ways to spend more time writing and am I currently doing a couple of creative writing courses. I am also giving serious consideration to writing a novel and trying to be published, although that would slow Aurora down considerably. One other option is to write an Aurora "novel", which would involve playing a campaign to some type of conclusion, writing sections as I go and keeping notes all the way through then revisiting everything and organising the material either into a full novel or some type of fictional non-fiction book, along the lines of the Third World War by Sir John Hackett. This would be a lot more fun than writing a manual. If I tackled this project, I wouldn't report on the campaign as I went, I would just produce a book at the end of it. As Aurora was created to help me write fiction, this would be the ultimate realisation of that goal. If I had any success with this approach, then other players could also tackle similar projects.

Steve

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
Re: A silly question perhaps
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 12:30:11 PM »
Quote from: "Cassaralla"
I find properly bookmarked pdfs to be great, even superb.

Unbookmarked ones though . . . then I'd much rather have a physical book.

I agree in general.  Although if it isn't bookmarked, as long as the PDF isn't locked, I can create my own bookmarks and have done so many times.  If you have the software it generally only takes a few minutes to bookmark on the coarse level such as by chapter.  What does irk me is when the PDF is locked and not bookmarked.  

One nice tool that comes with the full version of Acrobat that few people know about allows you to create a search index of multiple PDF files.  I've indexed thousands of PDF files before each hundreds of pages in length and searching them is near instant.  

I'm trying to get away from paper entirely.  That way I can pack my laptop and have everything in one place.