Author Topic: Comments: Earth Defence Authority  (Read 10846 times)

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
Re: Comments: Earth Defence Authority
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 08:13:13 PM »
Well, they've been sitting on the tech/clues for so long.  This must be what happens when the EU runs the world.   ;D

As has been mentioned, a bio war can help (some loony who doesn't realize/care that their side lost already.  The Supreme Leader seems just the sort to set something like that up.
How would you model that, though?

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2010, 08:29:39 AM »
Well, they've been sitting on the tech/clues for so long.  This must be what happens when the EU runs the world.   ;D
I wanted to have the situation were the techs were completely unknown and it would take a paradigm shift to get them going. That was a reason for the ruins in the first place, I just didn't know how large they would be :). At the moment going on the names the high command and Governors seem to be mostly Russian and Chinese ::).

As has been mentioned, a bio war can help (some loony who doesn't realize/care that their side lost already.  The Supreme Leader seems just the sort to set something like that up.
The Supreme Leader's main problem was the empire was just too small. I did try the nuclear war option. There should have been a further 36 missiles hitting the EDA, I set up the interceptions using the combat screen, but that should not have had any effect as they were TN missiles, but five seconds later and they had been destroyed. probably my misunderstanding of how things work again.  :(

Regards
IanD

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2010, 08:33:33 PM »
How would you model that, though?
The easy way would be to decide how many people would die and use the SM Mod screen to decrease the population.

Since Ian has a target population number in mind, he can just pick that.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 12:19:50 AM »
I am enjoying your reports, the EDA seems like a very switch on unit.

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 02:46:41 PM »
Excellent AAR with the alien dreadnaught!

Adam.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2010, 04:40:08 PM »
You should implement policy to shuffle fighter jocks off to a desk somewhere so you don't loose so much brass! :)

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2010, 04:40:15 PM »
I am enjoying your reports, the EDA seems like a very switch on unit.

You have to remember the EDA was inoculated by the initial alien incursion into Sol.

Regards
IanD

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »
You should implement policy to shuffle fighter jocks off to a desk somewhere so you don't loose so much brass! :)

This is what comes of forgetting to change the default minimum officer requirement  ::). I think I have set it so that fighters can have no officer higher than a Commander.

Regards
IanD

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »
At this point, I think the EDA misses having moderate ranged energy weapons.  Put a few of those on 11,000 speed ships and you can have a long range battle with the Invaders.

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2011, 02:30:36 AM »
At this point, I think the EDA misses having moderate ranged energy weapons.  Put a few of those on 11,000 speed ships and you can have a long range battle with the Invaders.

I agree with you, that was the requirement the Sword class were designed to meet, unfortunately Earth effectively ran out of Gallicite before more than five could be built. Just hoping the 50 second increments disappear, but its been doing this since mid March and the game has progressed eight days!  :(

Regards
IanD

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2011, 11:43:24 AM »
If you have designer mode you could go look and maybe make the offending ships have an 'accident'?

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2011, 02:20:22 AM »
If you have designer mode you could go look and maybe make the offending ships have an 'accident'?

I have access to the database but cannot find the table I need to modify. I fear I would need an idiots guide to where to look. If you can provide that then I may be back in business.

While you are waiting would you be interested in AARs from the 5.42 game I have running currently?

Regards
IanD

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2011, 12:11:32 PM »
I have access to the database but cannot find the table I need to modify. I fear I would need an idiots guide to where to look. If you can provide that then I may be back in business.

While you are waiting would you be interested in AARs from the 5.42 game I have running currently?

Regards

Designer Mode is better as it will handle any cascade-deletes that a straight removal from the database may not account for. I have used it before when the Invaders got too big for their boots. Send Steve a PM for the password, I can't forward it on.

If you get it, then choose the Invaders as your default race and ONLY open the Ships screen - do not open anything else or you will get errors (which do not damage the game though). This makes it harder to figure out what could be the issue but you can start to delete some of the ships which should help par them down a bit.

I am definitely up for reading some more AAR's :)

Offline Jakalo

• Chief Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2011, 02:54:13 PM »
Awesome AAR, tore through it in like 2 days with moderately grievous consequences to my university schedyle, but was totally worth it  ;D

I would too appreciate more stuff.

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2011, 07:42:04 AM »
Designer Mode is better as it will handle any cascade-deletes that a straight removal from the database may not account for. I have used it before when the Invaders got too big for their boots. Send Steve a PM for the password, I can't forward it on.
Thanks, emailed Steve for password.

Awesome AAR, tore through it in like 2 days with moderately grievous consequences to my university schedyle, but was totally worth it  ;D

Thanks for those kind words

I am definitely up for reading some more AAR's :)
I would too appreciate more stuff.

I will see what I can do, I was mulling over the idea of a sort of common start conditions that would be retained through any future versions of Aurora, starting tech from where the previous one left off, having Mars terraformed with similar mineral etc. It could mean invoking a reshuffling of jump points quite frequently, as though these are not stable structures and liable to change (as often as Steve updates Aurora ;D ). It would mean keeping a note of colonies and their population and trying to shoehorn them into the new Galaxy.
IanD