Author Topic: Comments: Earth Defence Authority  (Read 10894 times)

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
Comments: Earth Defence Authority
« on: June 03, 2010, 10:30:46 AM »
This started out about when v5.02 hit the streets and has gone through several iterations since. The aim was to start with a planet of 6 billion and see if I could cut it down to a manageable number in game time rather than in the prologue. I also hope to have a more deliberate exploration policy. I have failed in the former so far, though if I had known about Steve's surprise in v5.13 it would have worked but been a very short story! Still there is still an option for the old standby, a limited nuclear war.

All mineral concentrations are as found except for Mars which harks back to the first iteration.

Regards
IanD

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: Comments: Earth Defence Authority
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 12:15:35 PM »
Interesting setup.  I'm intrigued as to how things will develop.  The Indian and Iranian FACs have MFCs that are significantly shorter ranged than their missiles.  Any tactical reason for this or is it just driven by technology?
Welchbloke

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 12:43:49 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
The Indian and Iranian FACs have MFCs that are significantly shorter ranged than their missiles. Any tactical reason for this or is it just driven by technology?

It was intended to represent obsolete FAC but modern missiles, the ships being the more expensive items with the Islamic block being strapped for cash while the Indian Confederation was beginning the construction of its new cloaked Gomati class Missile Boat class.

Hope you find the first instalment interesting, didn't reduce the population by as much as intended, it appears one missile kills one million population even if its got a 10 point warhead.  :(

Regards
IanD

The following users thanked this post: dag0net

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 12:57:53 PM »
Quote from: "IanD"
Quote from: "welchbloke"
The Indian and Iranian FACs have MFCs that are significantly shorter ranged than their missiles. Any tactical reason for this or is it just driven by technology?

It was intended to represent obsolete FAC but modern missiles, the ships being the more expensive items with the Islamic block being strapped for cash while the Indian Confederation was beginning the construction of its new cloaked Gomati class Missile Boat class.

Hope you find the first instalment interesting, didn't reduce the population by as much as intended, it appears one missile kills one million population even if its got a 10 point warhead.  :)
Anyone out there know how to transfer fighter squadrons from one population to another? I wish there was an SM merge population button. :(

Regards
6 Billion is a lot of people to kill; I suspect the fallout and change in environment will kill more off.....
Welchbloke

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 10:27:01 PM »
A very gripping start to your story, definately got me wanting more.  Keep up the good work.

Mark

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 11:40:16 PM »
Great start to the story - looking forward to reading the next installament!

Steve

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »
Quote from: "Sotak246"
A very gripping start to your story, definately got me wanting more. Keep up the good work.

Quote from: "SteveAlt"
Great start to the story - looking forward to reading the next installament!

Thank you both for your kind words. The next instalment may take a little time; although with the elimination of the extra solar threat things will hopefully become a little easier. Still not decided whether to do a “Steve” and evacuate the population of Earth to Mars.
Regards
IanD

Offline procyon

• Captain
  • p
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 03:49:02 AM »
Quite the story.  I was definitely concerned for a bit that the first installment and the last would be the same.  Hopefully the follow up to the first group will be a looonnng time in showing up.  

Can't wait to see where it goes from here.
... and I will show you fear in a handful of dust ...

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 12:24:45 PM »
Quote from: "procyon"
Quite the story. I was definitely concerned for a bit that the first installment and the last would be the same. Hopefully the follow up to the first group will be a looonnng time in showing up.

Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

While it was my first real use of fighters I hoped they would act like Fast Attack Craft, and they did an adequate job, although in a couple of iterations when I messed up the PDC attacks it was touch and go whether I could rearm the fighters in time. :D
[spoiler:26v0r4s2]There is no worry about that particular race returning as it was a race created especially for the purpose and only had those four ships.[/spoiler:26v0r4s2]

Regards
IanD

Offline symon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 03:15:18 PM »
Seems to be a very bad time to be human at present!
"You fertility deities are worse than Marxists," he said. "You think that's all that goes on between people."

Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light. 1971.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 10:32:54 PM »
I am liking it! Very bare bones :)

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 12:11:50 PM »
Quote from: "symon"
Seems to be a very bad time to be human at present!
The effects of a nuclear war are not pretty! The internet provided most of the detail.

Quote from: "Beersatron"
I am liking it! Very bare bones :cry: .

Regards
IanD

Offline backstab

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 02:58:55 AM »
Ian,

Great write up ... look foward to more !
Move foward and draw fire

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 02:49:34 PM »
Quote from: "backstab"

Thank you for your kind words. There will be a hiatus as I seem to have messed up the database, not irretrievably but in a very irritating way :cry:  . I have sent Steve the database in the hope he can reassign the World Free States administrators back to their classification, they are lost in a black hole at the moment! Some would say that is the best place for administrators, but they cause an Error in GetCommanderFullName Error94 some 26 times, then Aurora tends to crash!

Regards
IanD

Offline backstab

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 02:32:11 AM »
Quote from: "IanD"
Quote from: "backstab"

Thank you for your kind words. There will be a hiatus as I seem to have messed up the database, not irretrievably but in a very irritating way :cry:  . I have sent Steve the database in the hope he can reassign the World Free States administrators back to their classification, they are lost in a black hole at the moment! Some would say that is the best place for administrators, but they cause an Error in GetCommanderFullName Error94 some 26 times, then Aurora tends to crash!

Regards

Know that feeling ... I spent weeks writing up a background and setting a game up ant had a computer HD failure which whiped everything after a few game months ... not happy.
Move foward and draw fire