Author Topic: Being followed but not attacked?  (Read 2324 times)

Offline xeryon (OP)

• Captain
Re: Being followed but not attacked?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 07:26:23 AM »
The M/C difference was irritating between them, I just add a random sensor to make the geo ship military so i can use the same jump drive.  Or am I missing a toggle switch where I can specify a design as military without adding military parts to it?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 08:29:15 AM »
You can't specify, but there's no reason to. It's always better for a design to be commercial all else being equal.

Note that military jumpdrives are intrinsically military parts in and of themselves, and that you can still use commercial jumpdrives on a "military" design. It just needs to use commercial thrusters.... and a lot of engineering spaces. :P

Offline xeryon (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 09:18:43 AM »
The way I was figuring is that the geo and grav ships use commercial engines for fuel economy but are classed as military with military jump engines which  I think cost more to build.  In my limited experience I have needed more military slips anyway to build and maintain my military fleet and in a pinch my survey ships have acted as jump ships for small military fleets without needing a dedicated military jump cruiser until the military fleet has needed a dedicated support vessel. 

This doctrine may be well off the mark in efficiency, but in my current game my auto generated SY was 3 navel yards and 1 comm yard so this doctrine fit RP wise.  It was also made possible via starting RP and further assisted by having no propulsion researchers.  So I started with military jump drives but lack an efficient researcher to develop a commercial drive so never committed the research facilities to it.