Author Topic: Aurora autosave  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Hari (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • H
Aurora autosave
« on: May 12, 2023, 10:18:11 AM »
Hello,

I recently had some crashes during a campaign, and of course I didn't save my game since few hours.  :-X

So ... I decided to work on an autosave. And here is my work result, if someone is interested.

AuroraSaveGame1.0

As the game does not seem to have a hotkey to save the current game, then it is impossible to use simple bat or ps1 script to "auto hotkey", so I compiled a really small app.
It is a quick app made with AutoHotKey, that you can find in attachment.

What does the app do ?

It has two functions :
  • add a hotkey to save the current game, like if you click on the save button : CTRL + Q
  • ask you if you want to activate autosave, and if yes the time in minutes between two saves

Then the app will stay in your notification tray until you manually close it, or until you quit the game (the app will automatically be closed at next autobackup time).

While the app in on, you can save your current game, from any Aurora window, using ctrl + q combination.
If you activated the autosave function, manual save with ctrl +q will reset the timer. For example, if you choose 30 minutes intervals, and that you save with the hotkey after 20 minutes, next autobackup will happen 30 minutes later and not 10. This is not true if you save by clicking the button directly : doing this will not reset the counter.

Launching the app again will erase parameters, as only on instance can run. Could be useful if you want to change the current status of autosave (enable / disable).

How to use it ?

Just extract the zip file. It contains the exe file, and a ahk file as source code. You only need the exe, source is there only if you want to edit and recompile.
The exe file can be started from any directory, no need to place it in the Aurora folder - even if you can of course.
The game should be started before, otherwise you'll get an error message.
No installation required, just execute. No admin rights either.

Limitations

I only tested the app on Windows 10 environment, should work on 7 & 11.
Works with both Aurora and AuroraPatch launcher, with original executable names only (respectively Aurora.exe and AuroraPatch.exe)
Works only with current Aurora version (2.1.1). Steve sometimes adds control forms on main screen (buttons, tabs, checkboxes, ...), and I can't catch the save button dynamically. So it is hardcoded for now. To make it compatible with future (and previous) versions, I need a fixed reference on the save button (something like a text, as on the increment buttons).

Hoping this small tool will prevent nervous breakdowns  :)

The following users thanked this post: Oafsalot

Offline Oafsalot

• Petty Officer
Re: Aurora autosave
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 02:14:19 PM »
Ha, I have been trying to work on this myself.  I was trying to pull the date/time from the title bar of the main window but I have not found a good way to parse it yet.

This is the next best thing, well done.

Offline Hari (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 06:00:01 PM »
Was also a thought, to allow in-game time-based cron. But date/time language formatting is really complicated to handle, I think DB read is more efficient to explore this way.

Offline Oafsalot

• Petty Officer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 03:51:26 PM »
Updated this to work in the latest version, 2.5.1. Changed 08 to 17.

Offline Oafsalot

• Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 06:09:02 PM »
Either I made a mistake, or the game changed the button.

Either way, this should work.