Author Topic: C# Aurora Changes Discussion  (Read 441805 times)

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
Re: C# Aurora Changes Discussion
« Reply #2460 on: January 12, 2020, 12:30:16 PM »
Does releasing the tractored ship remove it from the task group (creating a new one, I assume?). If so you could set a single tug to grab ships from a task group, take it somewhere, and release, and set it to repeat orders.

Offline JustAnotherDude

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #2461 on: January 12, 2020, 01:33:16 PM »
Does the new rug order tractor one ship per tug, or one ship per TG?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2462 on: January 12, 2020, 01:38:42 PM »
Does the new rug order tractor one ship per tug, or one ship per TG?

It tractors a single ship, so use one tug and set on repeat.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2463 on: January 12, 2020, 01:39:20 PM »
Does releasing the tractored ship remove it from the task group (creating a new one, I assume?). If so you could set a single tug to grab ships from a task group, take it somewhere, and release, and set it to repeat orders.

Yes, that it how it will work.

Offline Aldaris

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2464 on: January 13, 2020, 12:47:28 AM »
In the case of using tugs to speed up very slow but still (in principle) mobile fleets, might it be better to target the slowest ship instead of the biggest one?

Offline Profugo Barbatus

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2465 on: January 13, 2020, 12:55:07 AM »

Is it possible to set the destination to be another task group, assuming it exists? If I'm moving 50 gas harvesters to the next system over, I don't want to end up with 50 TG in that system that I need to manually merge if I can help it.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2466 on: January 13, 2020, 05:27:23 AM »
That shouldn't be too difficult but even if it's not, with the new functionality of the TG window, you can quickly drag'n'drop them together and the game will automatically delete the empty TGs.

Offline kks

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2467 on: January 13, 2020, 11:10:08 AM »
Is it possible to set the destination to be another task group, assuming it exists? If I'm moving 50 gas harvesters to the next system over, I don't want to end up with 50 TG in that system that I need to manually merge if I can help it.

If I recall correctly, that is how it works in VB Aurora. So hopefully it is possible in C#, too.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #2468 on: January 13, 2020, 11:31:08 AM »

If I recall correctly, that is how it works in VB Aurora. So hopefully it is possible in C#, too.

Although you would need to have a task-group at that site to begin with to target for the release. So if there was nothing at the target location at the start of the order you would have to create an empty new task-group and then use SM to move it to the target location. Then you could issue orders to tractor stations to that task-group.

At least that is how I remember things.

Offline Tuna-Fish

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #2469 on: January 14, 2020, 10:37:06 AM »

Is there any chance of making it work so that if the location of the order is an existing TG, it will release the ship into that TG instead of creating a new one? Or is it already how it works?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2470 on: January 14, 2020, 11:17:33 AM »
Is there any chance of making it work so that if the location of the order is an existing TG, it will release the ship into that TG instead of creating a new one? Or is it already how it works?

That is already how it works.

Offline Ranged66

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #2471 on: January 14, 2020, 05:25:15 PM »
Hi Steve,

Is March 20th the date you will be going on leave? Because if it is, consider releasing at least a test build for the public before then. After all, I have no doubt that many issues will only show up once you have hundreds of people playing your new version :)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2472 on: January 14, 2020, 06:29:27 PM »
Hi Steve,

Is March 20th the date you will be going on leave? Because if it is, consider releasing at least a test build for the public before then. After all, I have no doubt that many issues will only show up once you have hundreds of people playing your new version :)

I have no idea where the March 20th date came from. I've seen it occasionally on the Discord, but I have never said it. I'm also not going on leave anywhere :)

I've ordered my first motorhome and the estimated arrival date from the manufacturer is March, so my wife and I will probably be spending part of our free time travelling around in that. That doesn't mean I will suddenly stop working on Aurora, but I will have less time for Aurora unless it rains all summer. March is therefore a convenient time to release what I have up to that point so players can start finding bugs.

I'll probably never live it down that I ordered a French motorhome :) but here is what I am waiting for...

https://www.rapido-motorhome.co.uk/motorhome_a-class_serie-80df_8096df.chtml

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, BigBacon

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #2473 on: January 14, 2020, 07:18:16 PM »
that's an awesome RV, do you have a shakedown trip preplanned for it or just going to make an Impromptu journey?
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2474 on: January 15, 2020, 03:51:35 AM »
that's an awesome RV, do you have a shakedown trip preplanned for it or just going to make an Impromptu journey?

Nothing specific planned yet. We live in the Isle of Man, an island that is only about 220 square miles (570 km) but is a great place for any outdoor activity and has at least twenty camp sites or other overnight motorhome sites. The island is the only entire country that is a UNESCO biosphere reserve. We plan to stay around the island for the first few weeks and get used to the van.

Next, we will start using the ferry to the UK. The UK port is an hour from the England/Scotland border and Scotland is a great place for motorhomes. About 60% of the size of England with only a tenth of the population. Mountains, lochs, glens and huge open spaces where you can wild camp. The Motorhome has double the battery capacity of most similar vehicles, a good-size water tank and solar panels, so we can stay off grid for a few days.

Late this year, or maybe next year, we plan to start taking longer trips to Europe. Initially, we will probably tour around France and Italy. After that, we will see what happens.

BTW here is a 90 second video on the Isle of Man - you can see why it is a good place for a motorhome:

If you want a longer video, this is about a 6m aerial view - no commentary, just music.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:25:47 AM by Steve Walmsley »