Author Topic: Aurora C# unofficial manual  (Read 4236 times)

Offline Paul Shakur (OP)

• Petty Officer
Aurora C# unofficial manual
« on: September 14, 2020, 03:24:41 PM »
Hello everyone.

Since I saw topic created by Demonides C# Aurora Changes List v1.12 / Table of Contents I've decited to contribute somehow to this amazing community of amazing game. froggiest1982 mentioned about making PDF from this huge list of topics and I took it very seriously.

Do you think it's worth making Aurora C# manual? Or am I wasting time? If you think it's good idea to make it, then please help categorize links in topic Demonides created as my work is 100% based on his. What I do is just simple formatting to PDF and Copy + Paste posts Steve Walmsley devlogs from this forum as of now.

You can download test version of this manual from my github page: https://github.com/Pawel82S/Aurora-C-Sharp-manual/releases or from attachment below.
Maybe include links to YouTube creators in separate section of this manual based on AJS1956 work in this topic?

Let me know what you think about it.

========================================================================================
If someone would like to help creating this manual then here are few ways you can do it:
  • Split into categories topics listed alphabeticly in C# Aurora Changes List v1.12 / Table of Contents. More on this below.
  • If you found some good advice/tip about some topic not covered in this huge list of links then plese post link here. It will be added to (non existent yet) "Tips & Tricks" section of manual.
  • If you know LaTeX and have some time you can help directly on github.
  • If you think that something is obsolote or in wrong place then please let me know.

I've started splitting big list of topics into categories. For this purpose I've created 2 simple text files so anybody who has will and time to help can do it. This is how it works:
It's so many of them that any help will be appricieted.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 08:44:10 AM by Paul Shakur »

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982, vorpal+5, MinuteMan

Offline Paul Shakur (OP)

• Petty Officer
Re: Aurora C# unofficial manual
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 04:52:45 PM »
[...]
Sorry if I let you down!

Thanks for reviving this, I will surely use it and contribute if you need help.
You don't have to apoligize me, you inspired me! It will be grat honour to me if you compete your "Government Simulator" project so I could include it in "manual" if you wish. I will be looking to this and source topic regulary for any updates and cotributions.
Help is always welcomed.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 04:54:54 PM by Paul Shakur »

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 05:14:09 PM »
[...]
Sorry if I let you down!

Thanks for reviving this, I will surely use it and contribute if you need help.
You don't have to apoligize me, you inspired me! It will be grat honour to me if you compete your "Government Simulator" project so I could include it in "manual" if you wish. I will be looking to this and source topic regulary for any updates and cotributions.
Help is always welcomed.

I attach my job then, you can use it

EDIT: it is in odt as I use libre office so if you use work you may not be able to use the links, let me know if I need to save it in another format.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 05:18:24 PM by froggiest1982 »

The following users thanked this post: Paul Shakur

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 06:05:10 PM »

I would be very interested in hearing about this government simulator of yours.  I do something similar but I actually use a spreadsheet of events with probabilities and MANUALLY roll a D100 dice every month to simulate internal events for my running fictional account.  I know, really geeky but hey, this is my hobby.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 07:54:44 PM »
I would be very interested in hearing about this government simulator of yours.  I do something similar but I actually use a spreadsheet of events with probabilities and MANUALLY roll a D100 dice every month to simulate internal events for my running fictional account.  I know, really geeky but hey, this is my hobby.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11908.0

EDIT: Cleaned posts and moved to a new independent section to do not spam on a different topic.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 07:22:24 PM by froggiest1982 »

Offline Paul Shakur (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 07:16:49 AM »
If someone has will and time to help me with this manual then read 1st post where you find all information about it. For now the biggest bottleneck is dividing topics by category which I already started.

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 08:35:18 AM »
This is a cool project, and I have to say, after looking over the manual and github site, that you have done a really impressive job with setting this up. I was a bit worried that collecting all of this information in a pdf would result in something more static (in case you grew bored with the project at some point - risking it to grow outdated), but this seems pretty solid.

However, I do want to say that even though I am a sucker for a good manual, I do think that the existing wiki has a better infrastructure to collect available knowledge about Aurora 4x: http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Main_Page. When I have a problem in any game I play, it is more likely that I will google for solutions rather than looking in a manual, so I think the work you are doing with restructuring the information and presenting it will receive much wider use if it was on the wiki. This is not to discourage you from working on the manual, just some thoughts on how to get the most out of the effort you are putting into it.

The following users thanked this post: Zap0

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 06:03:04 PM »
I would accept a government simulator in with a manual. I like that aspect of the game and while yes, i realize its purely for roleplay purposes, i wish it was expanded more. However i waited years for C#, i can wait more years if necessary for an expansion to government.

I would really like the manual though im terrible at the game and i usually dont play past colonizing my home system because it all gets to be to much. I dont understand the fleet mechanics all that well.

Offline Paul Shakur (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 08:32:19 AM »
This is a cool project, and I have to say, after looking over the manual and github site, that you have done a really impressive job with setting this up. I was a bit worried that collecting all of this information in a pdf would result in something more static (in case you grew bored with the project at some point - risking it to grow outdated), but this seems pretty solid.
Thanks it really helps knowing someone like it, because sometimes it takes a lot of time.
However, I do want to say that even though I am a sucker for a good manual, I do think that the existing wiki has a better infrastructure to collect available knowledge about Aurora 4x: http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Main_Page.
I also agree about wiki part, but I think PDF version will have some niche if someone doesn't have internet connection all the time or just want to play Aurora completely off-line.

Never the less I vastly expanded Ground Forces section of manual and added some missiles information to manual. New version 0.1.4 is ready to download.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 08:47:54 AM by Paul Shakur »

The following users thanked this post: smoelf