Author Topic: How/Can I destroy my own sensor buoys?  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Fistandantillus7 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • F
  • Discord Username: Fistandantillus7#1567
How/Can I destroy my own sensor buoys?
« on: September 19, 2021, 10:51:30 AM »
I unintentionally left my mine-layer firing and lay down a strip of sensor buoys across a solar system. In theory I should be happy to have that stripe between two jump points, but in reality the vomit of cyan text is just too much clutter. The buoys do not show up as targets for may mine-layer so I am wondering if there is even a way to get rid of them.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: How/Can I destroy my own sensor buoys?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 03:10:23 PM »
I unintentionally left my mine-layer firing and lay down a strip of sensor buoys across a solar system. In theory I should be happy to have that stripe between two jump points, but in reality the vomit of cyan text is just too much clutter. The buoys do not show up as targets for may mine-layer so I am wondering if there is even a way to get rid of them.

Unfortunately not at the moment and it is not planned for 2.0 either.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 05:12:17 PM »
The way to get rid of them is to spawn a hostile ship to destroy them, the functionality to remove them 'the easy way' hasn't been implemented in C#.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 05:44:46 AM »
The way to get rid of them is to spawn a hostile ship to destroy them, the functionality to remove them 'the easy way' hasn't been implemented in C#.

I prefer to keep using stations with 1.0 sensors. In the end, they are commercial and can stay forever then when I don't need them I just destroy the fleet with a click.

They are cheap. 121 tons and 7 crew also you can build from factories, fighter factories or shipyards and if you set low priority assignment you may not even lose a commander if enemies blow it up. You can go cheaper with smaller sensors obviously.

Code: [Select]
Active Buoy class Sensor Platform      121 tons       7 Crew       29.1 BP       TCS 2    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      No Armour       Shields 0-0     HTK 2      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 151    Max Repair 16.0 MSP
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   

Active Search Sensor AS29-R100 (1)     GPS 1600     Range 29.6m km    Resolution 100

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Space Station for construction purposes
This design is classed as a Space Station for auto-assignment purposes

If I need long range I still use Buoys and Waypoints with fuel so that they dissipate after running out of gas. Eventually, the Small Boat bay is 500 RP and easy to research with the bigger one at 1000 RP.

To have buoys up and running you need to spend more between launchers, research the buoy and all relative techs. Also, a buoy of the same power will have to be size 33MSP and the box launcher alone is going to weigh the same as your hangar bay that can be used also to load fighters. If you go for a 0.3 launcher instead then you can still have 2 buoys in the hangar to compensate partially for the extra ammo able to be launched. However the launcher alone is double the size of the hangar and you will require a magazine anyway, again this makes it generally more tech consuming and less space-efficient.

Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 32.8 MSP  (82.00 Tons)     Warhead: 0    Radiation Damage: 0    Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 0 km/s     Fuel: 0     Flight Time: 1 seconds     Range: 0 km
Active Sensor Strength: 16   EM Sensitivity Modifier: 8
Resolution: 100    Maximum Range vs 5000 ton object (or larger): 29,627,582 km
Cost Per Missile: 25.6     Development Cost: 2,560
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 0%   3k km/s 0%   5k km/s 0%   10k km/s 0%

Materials Required
Boronide  9.6
Uridium  16

Bottom line, considering it is not possible currently to clean the map, I think I am better off with this solution and considering costs I may keep using it even later as the only buoy aspect I was interested were mines and these should have been definitely sorted in 2.0 as they are still dodgy at 1.13.

Ultimately, if I decide to update them I can pick up the old while dropping the new. Once finished I can go back and scrap the one I don't need and recover material, MSP and more. Buoys won't allow you to do that.

Disclaimer: All the above are at average Ion techs (no techs above 10,000 RP) which is when you probably starting to explore the galaxy a bit more.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 05:51:56 AM by froggiest1982 »

The following users thanked this post: Sebmono

Offline Sebmono

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 02:22:42 PM »
What's still dodgy about mines in 1.13 that is being resolved in 2.0?

I still haven't had a chance to play around with either mines or selfguiding missiles (to be used by a stealthy submarine design) since I was under the impression that neither we're viable quite yet, and would be very excited to give them a spin :)

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 03:52:35 PM »
What's still dodgy about mines in 1.13 that is being resolved in 2.0?

I still haven't had a chance to play around with either mines or selfguiding missiles (to be used by a stealthy submarine design) since I was under the impression that neither we're viable quite yet, and would be very excited to give them a spin :)

The first fix from 1.13 changelog http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12035.msg142470#msg142470

Buoys launched while in orbit will now remain in orbit.

Added targeting (random) for second stage missiles. This was the main reason mines were not working. But it was working only for missiles and bugged for buoys (mines)

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12035.msg148937#msg148937

From 2.0 changelog http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12523.msg150563#msg150563

Selecting an existing missile now correctly displays name and second stage.
Fixed bug that caused 2-stage buoys without targets to self-destruct.

This should finally fix mines.

The following users thanked this post: Sebmono

Offline Fistandantillus7 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • F
  • Discord Username: Fistandantillus7#1567
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 06:01:43 PM »
Thanks all. Turns out they were really easy to find in the database. I'll eventually experiment with manually deleting them; after I have made a backup of course. I made the sensor buoys more for the learning experience than any other reason. Micro-station sensor 'thingies' are suddenly on my to do list, thanks froggiest1982.