Author Topic: Scavenging based empire?  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Porjate (OP)

• Leading Rate
Scavenging based empire?
« on: September 24, 2014, 07:33:05 AM »
So I recently got the idea of a somewhat restricted campaign based around the salvaging of wrecks and alien technology.
The race I'm making would have a base tech level they start out at, which I'm thinking would probably go far over the free tech point guideline limit for the population size.  For RP purposes, they would have little or no research labs and be incapable of advancing their tech with standard research; free techs from ruins or alien civs, or dismantling components would be the only way for them to discover a new technology, although they can research designed components once that tech has been fully understood.
Another restriction is the building of ships: they can't construct a spaceship from scratch in orbit.  The base tech level components must be manufactured by the industry on the planet, so that the only cost of the ship is whatever little bits of metal are required to put it together.  This means that whatever alien components they find are much more valuable than anything they can produce, and are used depending on the quantity of the component found: If they found a large stockpile, they would keep the components until they believed they had enough to understand the tech.  Otherwise, they would use the components in hybrid ships, resulting in very limited, yet relatively powerful ships.

However, I don't know how to start it.  What tech level should I consider the minimum for starting? Would Ion drives be an appropriate starting level, or would they be too advanced? Should they have a focus on certain weapons, or embrace the variety of space and go for whatever they get their hands on? Another important question is armour: as they are essentially constructing the components planet side, and welding them together, what would be an appropriate level of armour they would be capable of?

All suggestions and refinements are welcome, including any to the general theme of the race itself.

Offline Haji

• Captain
Re: Scavenging based empire?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 08:03:25 AM »
I'm afraid you won't get many reasonable answers for that particular topic, because very few people (if any) have tried something like that. In fact, the only person I can recall doing something like this is Vandermeer, but I don't know how far he has come with his campaign.

Having said that, there is one thing I can comment on based on mechanics, mainly the starting technology level. I don't think it matters much unless you get unlucky with the swarm or have invaders turned on. That's because when an NPR is generated it's base statistics are based on those of the player at the moment of the generation (there is some random element involved). As such the only thing that will decide how difficult an opponent is the NPR difficulty level you have set. Which means that if you have low difficulty NPRs then you'll be able to destroy them easily for several years (if not more) after encountering them. Only if you leave them alone for several decades you may have problems with technological imbalance.

I can't comment how technology level will work against invaders as I never fought them. Against precursors and the swarm ion engines should be just right especially since you won't be improving your technology. However, if you don't have enough missiles against the swarm, the latter may very well present a problem, so it's something to think about.

Offline JOKER

• Chief Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 06:28:16 AM »
It's unlikely to success.  I'm having a war with a NPR with high difficulty, destroyed and scavenged about forty ships, but got few components.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 01:59:52 PM »
I was thinking about this. Others (myself included) have run with normal tech research, but limited via role-play reasons. For example, in mine I set the amount of research able to be done on military techs (weapons/ecm/etc) at 10 or 15% of the total. Everything else had to have some sort of "civilian" application to it.

Except in times of war. Then I could increase the military research up to 50% I think I set it.

Not quite your scavenging scenario, but similar.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 08:00:23 PM »
I had a silly thought, of doing an empire that can only ever use missiles. And none of this long range missile stuff. Missiles will be restricted to 1mil km at the start, and as time goes on, I may open up that range a bit.

Then, no research into any non missile weapons. The only lasers or gcs or anything that can be used are ones salvaged from wrecks.

So keep 1 of those little npc factions alive making you ships to blap for newer gear.
Game may end up sucking heavily though due to extreme need for minerals for ammo

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 01:20:28 AM »
I'm afraid you won't get many reasonable answers for that particular topic, because very few people (if any) have tried something like that. In fact, the only person I can recall doing something like this is Vandermeer, but I don't know how far he has come with his campaign.
I randomly found this topic when doing a search in the forum. It's really late, but I comment:

OT about this swarm game:
Off-Topic: show
It all worked as intended, and I have played quite a bit (maybe 80 years) beyond the documented part, fighting successfully against two common spoilers, and with just as much drama to keep it interesting. However, I had lost all my documenting screenshots, and all the former photoshop files and the assembled art material while stupidly shift-selecting some files on my desktop that I wanted to delete. I failed to notice that this selects horizontally before vertical, and missed having my working folder of this game, and another 300mb work project of mine moved to garbage, and later also deleted. I only noticed a couple days later, and by then it was too late for any emergency recovery.
...But!: A couple months later, I was desperate, because that other project's lost work was really hurtful, so I researched randomly for file recovery, and amazingly found beyond the hundreds of people confirming that such deletes are of course lost, one person who mentioned that the fantastic Windows 7 keeps complete compressed copies of your desktop stored away somewhere! Lucky me for having current projects on desktop always, because there I found all my lost work and also the Zenit folder.
...So the only thing that held me back from then on was that I had lost contact with the game and narrative over so long. I tried to read back into it, but it was cumbersome to get the feeling for it again, especially after having an interesting new Aurora game running already. I may do it at one point though. Currently there are enough screens for 3-6 posts still waiting in line, and I successfully tested that I can still play the save too.

..For salvage: A salvage based game is totally doable, and since I tested that with the Swarm game there, I have switched to play all my Aurora games in a mixture from now on, where I allow myself to research to a certain tech level, and must then salvage the rest to proceed. I think that makes the game more exciting, as otherwise salvage is just a tiny bonus compared to your powerful research, and the only thing really giving you something sometimes is conquering an NPR. ...But even that is just a boost, while when you have this as your only way to advance, you are really looking forward to conquest.
You need some crucial starting techs though, which is mostly some power factor (minimum x2 researched I think), because only then will your TL1 missiles be able to catch most enemies, and it will still be an extreme chase.(and you better have overwhelming mass domination, or else..)
Of course, before TL1 is just impossible. You have no weapons, your missile engines can't even catch civilian ships... nonsense. Otherwise, you can work it out, unless going up against a certain invader, but those are too rare to strategize for until it happens.

The last game I started also has a limit for TL3 for engines, so that is Ion, but I am free to research all fusion tech once I get access to a working Stellerator somehow. Then the same with the first antimatter plant should I get there, which I will have to salvage or loot. Most other leveled techs can go 2 levels above current engine tech, and things like power factor, stealth techs, jump engine miniaturization and weapon caliber are not limited at all.
I freely change these limits from game to game though, and had magneto plasma or magnetic fusion in games before.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy