Author Topic: GUs in terms of starship crew?  (Read 4221 times)

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
GUs in terms of starship crew?
« on: March 14, 2019, 01:58:01 AM »
Do the various ground units have a number of people in them, for the purposes of spare cabins? I want to make a ship with accommodations for the troops that isn't the Troop Transport Bay, but I don't know if they even HAVE a crew count. If so, what are they?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: GUs in terms of starship crew?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 03:37:12 AM »
Sadly, no.  The precursor game from which Aurora evolved had stats for how many Cargo Holds and (excess) Crew Quarters were required to move a ground unit, but VB6 Aurora has no in-built capability to tranfers units other than Troop Transport Bays.  You can't even move larger units in multiple smaller bays, so even if you have several ships with Company-sized accommodations on them, Aurora won't split a Battalion between them.

You can fake it with SpaceMaster functions, by defining the size (in terms of both people and cargo points) of your ground units, then assigning enough of both to make a run from A to B, and after arrival using SM to change the location of the chosen ground unit(s), but that's about as close as it gets.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 04:04:49 PM »
Sorry for being unclear, it was... late. I meant for RP purposes; if I say had a single Small Troop Transport Bay with a single Marine Company, how many crew berths would I need for that Marine Company if I wanted to have the Small Troop Transport Bay AND Spare Berths allocated to them? I'm fine if Aurora doesn't have that as a mechanic, but the reason I posted this in Mechanics was to find out whether or not Aurora 7.10 tracks GUs as Crew for the purposes of Spare Berths, Life Support, and Morale; to know if there is any benefit to adding Spare Berths for my troops alongside the Troop Transport Bays.

Otherwise, I'll just RP it for giggles. Do we have a personnel count for Companies, Battalions, Brigades, Divisions, i.e. how many men constitute each unit?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 05:06:37 PM »
VB6 Aurora leaves ground unit 'person' counts deliberately undefined, so that each player can fictionalize it their own way.  C# Aurora sort-of does the same thing, but one can extrapolate a few numbers from this post http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg104052#msg104052.

The following users thanked this post: xenoscepter

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 07:39:13 PM »
Cool, thanks!

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 12:59:17 PM »
There is no such support mechanic so you can do it only for RP purposes and for the same reason the ground units are not defined - it's up to you as a player to describe them in a way that fits your game/world. It's also logical since unit sizes have (just like ship sizes) changed in human history.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 10:01:17 PM »
By the by, I figured out that it was roughly 500 personnel per battalion, so 100 per company. From the wiki. Leaving this here for posterity.