Author Topic: Command & Control  (Read 3326 times)

Offline Garfunkel (OP)

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Command & Control
« on: November 29, 2019, 05:24:13 PM »
Slow night at work, so I was going over the Changes List and figured I might as well test out the new C&C rules and figure out some layouts and how they might work out, as well as to figure out how quickly the rank pyramid grows.

The relevant posts by Steve are these two:
for ships http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg101818#msg101818
for fleets http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg103849#msg103849

So your ULTIMATE HEADQUARTERS OF DOOM (UHD) is on Earth and it's the starting one that oversees everything else, so it's General HQ commanded by your First Space Lord Puffy von Moustache. So that's 10% bonus to everything in Sol.

Underneath UHD, we have NAVAL HEADQUARTERS OF SPACE (NHS), again on Earth and it's for maximizing bonuses, so it's Naval HQ commanded by your Admiral Horatio Hornblower, giving 25% bonus to Crew Training, Reaction, Engineering and Tactical in Sol. Alongside NHS, we would create Logistics and Industrial HQ's since those do not gain from Naval bonuses.

Note that Naval Headquarters Facility at Earth must be Level 2 to reach Alpha Centauri. It does NOT need to reach farther away.

Underneath NHS, we have COMBINED FIFTH FLEET (C5F), based at Alpha Centauri and for max bonus, it's another Naval HQ command. That means another round of 25% bonus to Crew Training, Reaction, Engineering and Tactical in Sol. This would be commanded by Vice Admiral Lily Poppycock. Alongside C5F, we would create Patrol/Survey/Training HQ's for specific purposes, unless we were really flushed with senior officers in which case they could be placed even lower.

Again, the Naval Headquarters Facility at Alpha Centauri I must be Level 2 to reach Tau Ceti.

This means we still have Rear Admiral left for administrative work. So let's create FORWARD OPERATIONS AREA (FOA) at Tau Ceti, once more a Naval HQ, commanded by Rear Admiral Edmund Blackadder.

And as long as the Naval Headquarters Facility at Tau Ceti is also Level 2, it'll reach the next system(s) over, where our Fleet(s) will actually fight.

Now let's say your Fleet operating at Van Maanen's Star, 1 jump away from Tau Ceti, is commanded by a Commodore inside a Flag Bridge.  The Dreadnought carrying the Flag Bridge is commanded by a Captain (because Flag Bridge increases ship commander two ranks above minimum). Dreadnoughts can also have a Combat Information Centre and an Auxiliary Bridge as well as Main Engineering, it doesn't change the highest requirement.

The screening ships can have Auxiliary Command and still be captained by a Commander, leaving the minimum rank of Lieutenant Commander available to fill all those AUX and CIC positions, as well as for commanding scouts and FACs.

Unless I forgot a rank from the default British rank theme/system, it means that there isn't actually that much room for stacking admin commands. Remember how we start with a single Commodore, at least in a Conventional start, and unless you start stacking Academies quickly, it can take a five years until that Commodore gets promoted to Rear Admiral. And this organization honours all the requirements that mean that Fleet commanders are junior to Admin commanders who are junior to higher level Admin commanders, as well as the ship captain rules when adding in the new C&C modules.

What kind of organization will you try to create?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 11:43:10 AM by Garfunkel »

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

Offline Lornalt

• Petty Officer
  • L
Re: Command & Control
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 02:01:37 AM »
And this is why I'm so hyped for Aurora C#

Although I'm a little crazy so I'm gonna ignore the bonuses here. . .  My god the org chart is gonna be epic. . .

Offline Akhillis

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 11:35:10 PM »
NAVAL HEADQUARTERS (GEN) under of an Admiral of the Fleet will be my top level admin command based on Earth.

Subordinate to that will be NAVAL HIGH COMMAND (NAV), responsible for military operations, and the COLONIAL DEPARTMENT (LOG or IND, depending on priorities), handling the civil development of space. They'll each be headed by a full Admiral and co-located with the overall Naval Headquarters on Earth.

Under Naval High Command will be two or three SECTOR COMMANDS (NAV) headed by Vice Admirals. Each will control operations in specific regions.

At a Rear Admiral level will be the BATTLEGROUPS (NAV/PAT) for combat operations, EXPEDITIONARY FORCES (GEN maybe?) for planetary assault, and EXPLORATION FORCES (SUR) to map future stars. These admin commands will be transferred between Sectors as needed. There'll also be the TRAINING DIRECTORATE (TRN) that fleets will be temporarily attached to.

Commodores will serve as flag officers in Fleets. Since flagships are unlikely to be much use for surveying, Commodores may also end up serving as static EXPLORATION GROUP (SUR) commanders instead.

Meanwhile the Colonial Department will have a Vice Admiral serving as Chief of Staff, responsible for COLONIAL DEPARTMENT – STAFF (LOG or IND). Reporting to the Chief of Staff will be the Rear Admirals commanding the territorial SECTOR LOGISTIC COMMANDS (LOG or IND again).

Since their taskgroups will not have Flag Bridges, each Support Command may in turn be divided into a TRANSPORT DIRECTORATE (LOG) and a PRODUCTION DIRECTORATE (IND) under Commodores. If I have sufficient Captains I might even further organize the Directorates into FREIGHT, PASSENGER, TANKER, HARVESTER, MINING, or TERRAFORMING DIVISIONS as needed.

--

That at least, will be the ideal. Will need to build a lot more Academies than I used to. Also going to be an interesting task finding jobs for all the Lieutenant Commanders and Commanders to sustain the base of the pyramid.
The Sorium must flow

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 04:48:10 AM »
Due to changes in the staff retention structure that may be easier than you think.

I don't think there's changes in the promotion structure though, so...

Offline Akhillis

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 08:49:46 AM »
Due to changes in the staff retention structure that may be easier than you think.

I don't think there's changes in the promotion structure though, so...

I must have missed that in the change logs.

Still going to need to build a lot more academies. Or conduct a draft via SM.
The Sorium must flow

Offline Garfunkel (OP)

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 03:02:21 PM »
The fact that you can now have up to five officers on a single ship will help immensely. Most ships will probably have at least two officers, Commanding Officer for Bridge and Executive Officer for Auxiliary.