Author Topic: Commandos/Elites and things for them to fight  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Theodidactus (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
Commandos/Elites and things for them to fight
« on: October 23, 2014, 04:00:50 PM »
Just spitballing here: wouldn't it be cool if in addition to ground units, players could create teams of commandos or elite fighting forces or something similar?

Frankly, I do not understand Aurora's ground combat system well enough to come up with hard and fast rules for this, but maybe someone else can.

The basic Idea I'm proposing is that "teams" of 5 officers can be created, in a manner similar to xenology/espionage/diplomacy/geology teams. The teams would have a variable (maybe just their summed ground combat bonus or whatever) which would determine their effectiveness at...I dunno, killing things really well.

Things for these teams to do:
- affect full scale ground combat in some way
- board ships
- protect geology/xenology teams from hostile alien lifeforms (incidentally it'd be cool if there was a mechanic for that as well. Hostile xenofauna. Currently aurora worlds are lifeless rocks or alien capitols, but maybe that's how the the fermi paradox shakes out here)
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Commandos/Elites and things for them to fight
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 04:16:34 PM »
Marine Companies already are used to board ships.

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 04:41:38 PM »
Marine Companies already are used to board ships.

I know, I know, but that's so...impersonal.  ::)
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 05:39:35 PM »
I know, I know, but that's so...impersonal.  ::)
Maybe more specialized espionage teams? Maybe a Special Forces Unit, Special Operations Unit, or Special Reconnaissance?

Or perhaps something more to do with their purpose, like a Black Ops Unit, Sabotage Unit, Infiltrator Unit or a Psychological Ops Unit?

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 07:39:16 PM »
a lot of those would require more robust political/NPR interaction rules.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd LOOOOVE an Aurora where you can decipher naval intelligence codes, pinpoint a hardline admiral in the alien high command who is furthering their war effort, and send a team of commandoes into his luxury star palace to kill/capture him Nifty Package style...since a lot of my Aurora playing is imagining things like this....but for a lot of those suggestions to work, you'd need ways to:
- identify individual acting NPR officers, who currently exist in a totally different reality from the player until captured
- Identify and/or change NPR government types, like my "politcal system": http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,7348.0.html (though that explicitly disregarded NPRs)

But yes, a "sabotage team" is definitely a fun idea and I can see it work very easily in aurora's current system. They blow up ships "anchored" around a particular world. Might be "broken" unless an NPC can easily protect it, which would again necessitate more robust NPR relations...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:44:31 PM by Theodidactus »

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 07:43:50 PM »
a lot of those would require more robust political/NPR interaction rules.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd LOOOOVE an Aurora where you can decipher naval intelligence codes, pinpoint a hardline admiral in the alien high command who is furthering their war effort, and send a team of commandoes into his luxury star palace to kill/capture him Nifty Package style...since a lot of my Aurora playing is imagining things like this....but for a lot of those suggestions to work, you'd need ways to:
- identify individual acting NPR officers, who currently exist in a totally different reality from the player until captured
- Identify and/or change NPR government types, like my "politcal system": http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,7348.0.html (though that explicitly disregarded NPRs)

But yes, a "sabotage team" is definitely a fun idea and I can see it work very easily in aurora's current system. They blow up ships "anchored" around a particular world. Might be "broken" unless an NPC can easily protect it, which would again necessitate more robust NPR relations...
I was thinking more like an espionage team, except assigning them to attack a certain faction would almost certainly result in damaged engines and blown up magazines, instead of stolen research notes. Randomly attacking enemy assets is more viable right now than targeted ops.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 09:19:20 PM »
Espionage teams are useless against enemy planets, cause they get blown out of the sky because you cannot sneak  them in. So they are never used, one of the more useless Aurora teams there is.

You can only use them against friendly AI.

If there was a way to sneak the team onto a enemy planet they might become more useful.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 12:48:56 AM »
Espionage teams are useless against enemy planets, cause they get blown out of the sky because you cannot sneak  them in. So they are never used, one of the more useless Aurora teams there is.

If there was a way to sneak the team onto a enemy planet they might become more useful.

My feeling is that transponders or captured civilian ships would be good ways to enable this kind of gameplay. Would need some balancing though so its not too easy to sneak in several divions the same way...

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 01:24:20 AM »

Can't you just create a colony at the planet and shove the team there?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 12:59:47 AM »
I suppose, I never think of pushing teams out that way, its like geo teams, I board them on craft and send them there otherwise it seems like cheating but I guess considering without further option I guess that is a way.

On a side note does the enemy colony attack your colony and wipe it out, especially with no ground forces.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 01:56:14 PM »
I suppose, I never think of pushing teams out that way, its like geo teams, I board them on craft and send them there otherwise it seems like cheating but I guess considering without further option I guess that is a way.

If you want it to feel less like cheating an option to RP it yourself would be to SM deduct a sum of credits from the budget ( for deployment cost ), and roll a dice to see if the insertion is successful.

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 01:58:48 PM »
variously, I've pretended they were "actually" listening to emissions from the planet on a nearby asteroid, smuggled in on alien civilian liners, dropped via massdrivers to some remote spot on a distant part of the planet, or "visiting" as part of some diplomatic summit.