Author Topic: Multiple Commander Name Themes  (Read 1596 times)

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Multiple Commander Name Themes
« on: August 23, 2008, 08:52:12 AM »
A change for the next version is that you will be able to use up to five different commander names themes for one Empire. You select the themes and the percentage chance that each theme will be used for a new commander. This will be useful if you want a unified Earth campaign and have a mixture of English, Russian, Chinese, German commanders, etc. or perhaps if you conquer a race and want to start using officers from that race.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 09:05:38 AM »
Cool..one day or another am try to play a multiple Nations in ur awesome program.

PLEASE!!!!!!! can put into Aurora..a Hexagon Map same as traveller planetary map??

And capability to..explore planets?surface,encounters,animals,,capability to BUILD directly on surface?..for make more emotions and deepest ur incred Aurora?

ty:)...but.--.r technically possible?or an absurd work?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by waresky »

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 10:20:05 AM »
Quote from: "waresky"
Cool..one day or another am try to play a multiple Nations in ur awesome program.

PLEASE!!!!!!! can put into Aurora..a Hexagon Map same as traveller planetary map??

And capability to..explore planets?surface,encounters,animals,,capability to BUILD directly on surface?..for make more emotions and deepest ur incred Aurora?

This is something I really want to add long term. I played a computer game called Emperor of the Fading Suns that had both space combat and hex-based land combat and I really enjoyed it. Having a ground-based component to Aurora would be a lot of fun but don't expect it anytime soon :)

Steve

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 03:56:36 PM »
Damn cool..:D..

Another universe who am love and ur game remember me: CoDominium of Falkenberg..
Alderson point..
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by waresky »

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 08:37:14 PM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
Quote from: "waresky"

This is something I really want to add long term. I played a computer game called Emperor of the Fading Suns that had both space combat and hex-based land combat and I really enjoyed it. Having a ground-based component to Aurora would be a lot of fun but don't expect it anytime soon :)

Steve

I used to be a beta-tester for Emperor of the Fading Suns.  I loved that game, and still drag it out every once in a while!

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 09:11:14 PM »
Regarding the ground combat.

Since Aurora is played "real-time" coordinating ground and space events will get very hairy I think. In most games, the ground time-scale usually freezes the space time-scale. I for one, don't think that should happen in Aurora. But I just shudder at trying to coordinate 3 planetary invasions and 2 space battles simultaneously.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Multiple Commander Name Themes
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 02:11:43 PM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
A change for the next version is that you will be able to use up to five different commander names themes for one Empire. You select the themes and the percentage chance that each theme will be used for a new commander. This will be useful if you want a unified Earth campaign and have a mixture of English, Russian, Chinese, German commanders, etc. or perhaps if you conquer a race and want to start using officers from that race.

To further assist multiple-ethnicity empires, you can now select a system name theme (from the existing racial system name themes) to apply to a particular star system. This is chosen on the Galactic map. Any system discovered by entering a jump point in the original system will use the same name theme and will also transfer that theme on to any systems discovered via its jump points. So for example, if you had some type of NATO empire and Sol had five jumps points, you could explore the adjacent systems and manually give them names like Washington, London, Berlin, Paris and Rome. Then you could select a name theme for each of the systems, using United States, UK, Germany, France and Italy respectively. As new systems are discovered they will use a name theme based on the system from which they were discovered. So a jump point in Berlin could lead to a system that will automatically be named Hamburg but the next system is found via Rome and is automatically named Milan. A new system is found beyond Milan and because Rome passed along the Italy theme to Milan when it was discovered, the new system will automatically be named Turin (or whatever the next Italian name is on the list).  

This will allow you to create themed areas or jump chains within an Empire and provide a much larger set of names than if you were using just one naming theme. It also allows multi-ethnic empires to have some flavour and consistency in naming as the empire expands.

Steve