Author Topic: Sol System Pic Pack  (Read 1346 times)

Offline praguepride (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • p
Sol System Pic Pack
« on: March 30, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »
So I spent a little time on google today and compiled a 2mb "pic pack" of most of the moons of the solar system.

I also renamed my favorite "planet" pictures to make it easier to set up the sol system (as for whatever reason it always defaults to a blank blue ball for all the planets).

This isn't 100% complete by any means, especially considering the small "moon" (little more then fragments really) of Jupiter and Saturn, as well as the fact that some of the tiny moons around Neptune and Uranus are little more then blurs on most pictures. Therefore, if any picture is missing, I recommend using the "chunk" moon pictures from Jupiter or Saturn's moons as they tend to be detailed enough to be interesting but "chunky" enough to be accurate enough.

So, for most of the planets & moons it's a pretty straight forward naming convention. The first three letters of the name = picture name.

ex. Atlas = atl.jpg, Ganymede = gan.jpg

There are a few exceptions as by the time I got towards the end a few things started repeating. Hopefully it's still obvious what is what, but here's the "exception" list:

cab.jpg = Caliban (Uranus)
ttn.jpg = Titania (Uranus)
phb.jpg = Phoebe (Saturn)
prt.jpg = Proteus (Neptune)

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: Sol System Pic Pack
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 07:33:41 AM »
Quote from: "praguepride"
So I spent a little time on google today and compiled a 2mb "pic pack" of most of the moons of the solar system.

I also renamed my favorite "planet" pictures to make it easier to set up the sol system (as for whatever reason it always defaults to a blank blue ball for all the planets).

This isn't 100% complete by any means, especially considering the small "moon" (little more then fragments really) of Jupiter and Saturn, as well as the fact that some of the tiny moons around Neptune and Uranus are little more then blurs on most pictures. Therefore, if any picture is missing, I recommend using the "chunk" moon pictures from Jupiter or Saturn's moons as they tend to be detailed enough to be interesting but "chunky" enough to be accurate enough.

So, for most of the planets & moons it's a pretty straight forward naming convention. The first three letters of the name = picture name.

There are a few exceptions as by the time I got towards the end a few things started repeating. Hopefully it's still obvious what is what, but here's the "exception" list:

Downloaded and used! :mrgreen:
Welchbloke

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 12:33:45 PM »
Quote from: "praguepride"

Great work:D
Used.:D

Offline AndonSage

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
I guess it's obvious to some people how to use the Sol Pic Pack, but unfortunately, I have no idea what to do with it after downloading. Would someone please explain what to do? Thanks :)
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!" - Pericles (430 B.C.)
"A government big enough to give you everyt