Author Topic: What is the point of Luxury Passenger Accommodation?  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
What is the point of Luxury Passenger Accommodation?
« on: January 29, 2021, 07:38:28 AM »
What is the point of Luxury Passenger Accommodation? For the same tonnage, Cryogenic Transport will transport vastly more people.

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Re: What is the point of Luxury Passenger Accommodation?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 07:45:06 AM »
conventional starts and civilians.

Offline Elvin

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 07:51:25 AM »
The Luxury Passenger Accomodation is used by one type of Civilan ship, to basically form cruise liners. They'll start appearing when you have colonies in multiple systems.

There's no real mechanical advantage to using them in any of your own ship designs though.

The following users thanked this post: Panpiper

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 08:12:10 AM »
There's no real mechanical advantage to using them in any of your own ship designs though.
Though it's cool to build special governmental passenger ships for roleplay purposes (like "Space Force One"), when your star nation becomes mature enough.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 08:12:18 AM »
Role-play

I use them from time to time a crew replacement ship and set them to go from colonies to orbital miners, fuel harvesters and mining sites that only have auto-mines. They represent crew rotation replacement for these installations.

You can also use them as diplomatic ships in multi-faction games and probably many other reasons.

IN VB6 you also could choose to have your characters on specific bodies, then these ships could be used as government ships to house important administrators and transfer them from place to place.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:14:59 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline Squigles

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 08:58:08 AM »
What SpaceMarine said.

I usually have colonies on Luna and Mars with millions of colonists on my reduced tech conventional starts before trans-Newtonian tech is finished, courtesy of luxury liners.

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 09:59:16 AM »
I was playing a regular TN game and had dropped off a load of infrastructure to my first new extra-solar colony but my colony fleet was still occupied shuttling passengers to Mars when I noticed the new colony had changed to green.  It turns out a luxury liner delivered the first 1,250 intrepid and presumably well-heeled colonists to their new home.  I didn't have enough infrastructure there yet to attract a regular civilian colony ship, but there was plenty of space for the "true adventure" types...

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 11:01:33 AM »
I wish teams were a thing again so having little shuttles smaller than a proper transport was actually useful.

Maybe VIPs of some sort could be added that need Luxury accommodations. Tho I think the definition of luxury in this case is 'you aren't shoved into a sub-zero tin-can for days.'

Offline brondi00

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • b
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 01:21:27 PM »
I make 250t-500t shuttles all the time.  Though I have to use the emergency or small cryo module to fit it.

I find it very useful.  All combat fleets and and major bases include a SAR squadron of 2-4 of them.  They rescue my life pods and "rescue" enemy life pods too l.  They can be fast and can even dart right into combat as their small size and speed makes them pretty survivable.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 02:56:02 PM »
Oh... another thing I use the Passenger module for is as a Hospital ship module... I RP it as the part of the ship where they actually treat heavily wounded crewmen and not just put them into cryo as that might kill them.

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 08:33:52 PM »
I always just assumed that they would be frozen until they could be taken to a planet or station with gravity so they can do medical stuff there.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 08:43:39 PM »
I always just assumed that they would be frozen until they could be taken to a planet or station with gravity so they can do medical stuff there.

I don't assume that all injuries can be muted by freeze them, some injuries have to be actually treated to a certain degree before they are treated. I also assume that a hospital wing also service a fleet with help outside recovered crew pods with medical assistance both physical and mental. It can be for many role-play reasons.

Offline brondi00

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • b
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 08:07:16 PM »
Absolutely.  I served in the USAF.  I'm a physician.  Soldiers and airmen and seamen go to medical areas for non combat injuries and illnesses way more than they go for combat stuff.

If you want to roleplay that it's very realistic.  I too make a hospital ship that deploys to combat hotspots with the tankers and supply ships and mobile drydocks, etc.

It doesn't make sense for gameplay reasons but I find it more fun to have it.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2021, 04:06:23 AM »
Oh... another thing I use the Passenger module for is as a Hospital ship module... I RP it as the part of the ship where they actually treat heavily wounded crewmen and not just put them into cryo as that might kill them.

- Soon with RP components this will be even better.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 04:14:23 AM »

- Soon with RP components this will be even better.

Yes... I'm really excited for being able to use these new modules for many different RP reasons.