Author Topic: Terraforming  (Read 1949 times)

Offline ExChairman (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Terraforming
« on: July 19, 2020, 01:55:14 PM »
I found this little hot Venus planet with some 55 atm...

BUT it got atmos 402 000 000 tons of all the goodies you could need...

So I sent all terraform ships, about 20 terraformers with 10 modules each and started lifting the 300 groundbased terraformers and 68000 infrastructure, almost 11 million Terrans now live in safety...
But all are assigned to Agriculture and environmental jobs, nothing ells...

How do I get people to start terraforming?
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Terraforming
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 02:18:22 PM »
You have to start messing with the environment tab and start setting how much atmospheric gases you want to add.

Offline hubgbf

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • h
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 02:51:18 PM »
Sorry but when the environment is very difficult, no one will be able to work.
Everybody will be used to maintain life systems.

Use orbital habitat for the population if you want them to work (on terraformers or on mines)

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 05:46:19 PM »
Oh I get the question now.

Yeah this is one of the bigger reasons to use orbital terraforming modules, so that you can terraform places with surfaces that are effectively unlivable.

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 07:16:11 PM »
Since someone brought up the subject of Terraforming, I have a question.  I'm not sure if what I found is a bug or a feature.

I was trying to terraform and add in Water Vapor to a planet that has a temperature below freezing.  After a while I noticed that nothing was really happening to the atmosphere, although my hydrostatic number was rising.  Is this because any water vapor you add to a sub-freezing planet will turn to snow?

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 08:29:14 PM »
Since someone brought up the subject of Terraforming, I have a question.  I'm not sure if what I found is a bug or a feature.

I was trying to terraform and add in Water Vapor to a planet that has a temperature below freezing.  After a while I noticed that nothing was really happening to the atmosphere, although my hydrostatic number was rising.  Is this because any water vapor you add to a sub-freezing planet will turn to snow?

Snow, or ice. Either way, it falls out of the atmosphere. The water is still there on the planet, it just won't translate into atmospheric water vapor until you raise the surface temperature enough.

The same thing is true on the opposite end, but worse--if you add water vapor to a body with a surface temperature above ~94C, it will just boil away and leave nothing behind. Always lower the temp first in this case.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 10:56:06 PM »

This is Working as Intended...to add water to a planet you add water vapour and it condenses out of the atmosphere into seas  or ice sheets (if the temp is suitable).

You'll  probably notice the colony cost reducing slightly until the Hydro value is high enough that its not causing any penalty.  Don't think it has a very big effect on temp tho - certainly doesn't seem to in my Mars teraform in my current game which is working pretty much as you describe (currently -17C and 11% Hydro).
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Cobaia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 06:10:54 AM »
Joining in the Terraforming thread...

Frozen Oxygen is supposed to help in turning the atmosphere breathable?

It doesn't make sense but I've 2 planets with 0 colonization cost from breathable atmosphere with frozen oxygen.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 02:55:01 PM »

It doesn't make sense but I've 2 planets with 0 colonization cost from breathable atmosphere with frozen oxygen.
If nothing else those worlds should be way too cold to be cost zero, unless you are using a custom species.  There is some...weirdness with custom species right now.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 03:24:13 AM »
If the planet has that many minerals then my first thought would be automines automines automines. Start with a small amount and use the output of that planet to build more until you have a couple of thousand or so. Then ship everything to a nearby planet/moon with a much lower colony cost. Terraform that body instead and save yourself both many many years waiting to terraform, a huge headache getting around the colonist workers issue, and likely cheaper in build costs all round compared to things like habitates and such.

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 03:19:57 PM »

The breathable atmosphere cost may be 0 but the temperature cost is significantly higher,  oxygen will boil (unfreeze) far below the temperature for colony cost 2, so by the time you get to colony cost 2 your atmosphere will be breathable if you have at least  0.1 atm of oxygen and it is less than 30% of the atmosphere.