Author Topic: Stealth military base  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Tyrius (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • T
Stealth military base
« on: August 08, 2011, 02:03:20 AM »
  So I have this new dream of making stealthy military planets to rebuild the empire in case of some sort of drastic defeat.   Having ships orbiting it is the part I have figured out.   (tons of steal research) What I don't know is whether or not I will be able to sustain these ships and still have the colony be fairly stealthy.   I noticed that planets have signatures, and I was just wondering how to minimize these.   Obviously if they come too drastically close to the base they will notice it, but I plan to have it somewhere completely undesirable.   (Some planet so extremely uninhabitable and resource-less that a stray survey ship every century might be a problem. )

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
Re: Stealth military base
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 02:28:32 AM »
Hum.  It would be expensive as all-hell. but I don't see a fundamental reason why one would not be able to fabricate an ENORMOUS cloaking device and place it in a PDC.  I no longer have access to stealth devices to test this idea.

This would not work on factories, but you could build a bunch of factories and keep them in cloaked freighters in orbit.

Once in orbit, anyone can detect pretty much anything, sadly.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 03:54:11 AM »
The maximum size of a cloak without editing the database is 100 hull spaces.  At max tech this gives you a 60,000 ton base.  While this sounds huge it really is not that big of a pdc.  This would give it a active grav signature of 6.  In addition a pdc can not mount a cloak device at all.  The best you could do would be orbital ships with stealth.  With that limit it is unlikely that you could ever actually do something like this.  The one exeption I can think of is with a binary or larger system where the components are really far apart and there is no gas giant to give a quick way between the stars.  At that point you could have a small planetary population, lots of asteriod miners and maintanence ships ect.  Move as much of the support infrastructure off planet and scattered around that star so it doesn't have a big signature.  Make sure that there is at least a trace of a bad compound so that the planet does not look good for its habatability index.  If possible split up the population between different planets in the same system so that the signature is kept down.  One planet for industry, another for research, a third for shipbuilding ect.

Brian

Offline Nibelung44

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 05:45:24 AM »
Is pop in orbital habitat generating a signature?

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 08:01:44 AM »
Brian

You mention gas giants as a quick way between stars, is this due to the presence of LPs or am I missing something here?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 11:09:40 AM »
Brian

You mention gas giants as a quick way between stars, is this due to the presence of LPs or am I missing something here?
Exactly right.  the LPs do make it much faster to move between far distant parts of the system.  I have had a few where there was no gas giant with one part of the binary or trinary and that left it way seperated in travel time from the other parts of the system.  To do this right you may need to use the sm functions and create a lot of systems to find the one you want.

Brian

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 10:47:42 PM »
I had a system with a colony cost 0 world in a binary system but it was far far away. Also had a few potential sites as well which were 2.1 and 2.9. Never actually ventured out there to see if it had anything. Would have been hilarious if a NPR was unlucky to spawn there.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 12:19:30 AM »
I had a system with a colony cost 0 world in a binary system but it was far far away. Also had a few potential sites as well which were 2.1 and 2.9. Never actually ventured out there to see if it had anything. Would have been hilarious if a NPR was unlucky to spawn there.

Happened in one of my games before, but I check into the NPRs using Dev Mode to make sure they are playing nice and found him. It then took a while, but I was able to SM a Jump Point out near the NPRs star and then forced a Grav Survey for them which meant they started using it.

Of course, I didn't make it that easy for them - I connected their new JP to a system that had a very large Precursor contingent AND a Swarm that had just entered from next door ;D (I didn't generate the connected system, I had run into it on my own and got the snot beaten out of me)

Offline Jacob/Lee

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 12:54:23 AM »
Did they make it or get beat into the dirt?  ;)

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 10:31:32 AM »
I honestly can not remember what happened in the end. I think Steve released a new version that required a DB reset.