Author Topic: Factories not giving Construction points on colony at all  (Read 2057 times)

Offline LuminiferousPen (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • L
Factories not giving Construction points on colony at all
« on: August 24, 2011, 08:13:42 AM »
So I've colonised Mars, colony cost only ~2. 1.  Population: 64m.  Now I dropped 52 factories on Mars to try get the industrial machine rolling.  It's got about 750 automated mines that have been running for two decades or so, so there's a nice stockpile of resources sitting there.  Now with the research I've got about 20BP/factory, so governor bonuses nonwithstanding to the best of my knowledge I should be looking at a total production value of 1,040, yet for some reason the total production value I've got is a grand total of. . . .  0. 2

The current unemployed number is about 24m with the factories, so it can't be an issue to do with the workforce because those factories only made a dent of about 2m.  Any ideas on what's going on?

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
Re: Factories not giving Construction points on colony at all
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:19:51 AM »
Have the freighters successfully unloaded? Depending on the cargo handling multiplier they might take a day or even longer to unload their cargo.
Since you have sufficient workforce and from your description I take it you're looking at the available construction capacity and didn't just lack a specific mineral that might not be present on Mars (you'd get a mineral shortage message then, anyway) I don't know what else it might be.

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:29:18 AM »
It's been ~300 days since the last one was unloaded, still at 0.  2 construction.  .  . 

Hmm, is there a happiness level for each planet? If so, is there a way to view it and does it drastically affect the output?

100xfuel refineries on Earth = increase by about 1,800,000 litres.

100xfuel refineries on Mars = increase by about 120.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:38:50 AM by LuminiferousPen »

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:48:26 AM »
In the colony summary tab there is set of stats in the bottom right hand corner relating to performance of the colony. Check the manufacturing efficieny one, if its way down from 100% that will be causing the drop in production but not easy to say what's causing it without seeing screen prints of the summary and industry screens

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 08:53:34 AM »
The only times I've seen the efficiency sink is when insufficient workforce was availble to man the factories, but it's worth looking at.

There's unrest that might occur if you don't have a military presence - there's a field for unrest and the requested as well as provided protecten level in the F2 screen.

Do you perhaps, for some reason, have shut the construction factories down? In the civilian tab (where you can issue demands for civilian shipping) are buttons to shut down and reactivate portions of the industry.

Other than those I don't know what might caus this.

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 09:05:15 AM »
Quote from: chrislocke2000 link=topic=3999. msg38812#msg38812 date=1314193706
In the colony summary tab there is set of stats in the bottom right hand corner relating to performance of the colony.  Check the manufacturing efficieny one, if its way down from 100% that will be causing the drop in production but not easy to say what's causing it without seeing screen prints of the summary and industry screens

I think you're right.  Political stability modifier: 0. 01%

I guess that just increases when I put more ships in orbit around it? or can you also drop/create ground regiments on the planet to restore order?

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 09:15:52 AM »
Wow thats some seriously upset colonists. Dropping garrison battalions on the planet should help to restore order but I think its going to take a long time.

In the bottom left corner of that tab are two lines, one for how much defence the planet wants and the second for how much there is, is there a big gap in that one? If so building PDCs on the planet will probably help a lot as well.

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 09:19:23 AM »
Quote from: chrislocke2000 link=topic=3999.  msg38817#msg38817 date=1314195352
Wow thats some seriously upset colonists.   Dropping garrison battalions on the planet should help to restore order but I think its going to take a long time. 

In the bottom left corner of that tab are two lines, one for how much defence the planet wants and the second for how much there is, is there a big gap in that one? If so building PDCs on the planet will probably help a lot as well. 

It's a difference of about 70, which is a lot less than the difference on Earth which is about 1,100 1,437 (does Earth not get political unrest, or is that a settable option for games?). 

So.  .  .  how do I go about building PDCs?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:22:13 AM by LuminiferousPen »

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 09:29:17 AM »
You are right, earth does not get political unrest from a lack of protection.

Given the appalling manufacturing rate on Mars you may actually be better off just building some more combat ships and stationing them in system to get that defence position positive. As mentioned before hand you should also drop some garrison battalions onto Mars to help quell the unrest.

To build PDCs you need to design them the same way as ships, just select PDC in the top of the design screen next to ship type selector.

Unlike ships PDCs are built with industry so once designed just go to the drop down tab on the left of the industry summary which defaults as installations and you should be able to see your PDC there to build. You have two options, either build directly or build as a prefab. The pre fab builds the PDC in sections ready to be shipped to another planet but still takes some time and minerals to assemble once there.

I'm pretty certain that any defensive assets in a system contribute to population checks on protection so you should be able to build them on Earth and get the benefit on Mars. Just build one to check - it never hurts to have more defence on Earth if that's not the case!

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 09:38:47 AM »
Well I built about 20+ units on Venus and the stability's gone straight back up to 100%.  the protection level hasn't changed though, but hey I'll run with it.

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 09:58:21 AM »
In the ground troops tab of F2 you can see the police level - Stationed ground troops increase this police level and help surpress unrest. To actually remove the cause of this unrest, you need to station ships or PDCs on the colony as the other have already mentioned.

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 12:15:46 PM »
I try not to expand a population beyond the limit it has to start requiring protection ( i think its 10 mil pop dont have game available at the moment), until I have set up a dedicated force to keep the population happy.