Author Topic: Communicating with NPRs & Wormhole question  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Maximillian (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • M
Communicating with NPRs & Wormhole question
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:52:43 PM »
So this stable wormhole has been floating around Sol system for ten years or so, a couple of what appear to be WP survey ships just jumped through it and are flying around.

Is there any way to communicate 'I'd like to be friends, but if you don't stop surveying my system I'm going to blow your ships up' to the AI?

Is the only way to get them to stop to actually shoot?  If so, what effect does that have on diplomacy?

Also - Does anything good ever come out of wormholes?  Nobody has tried to bombard Earth yet, but I'm worried.  :)

Thanks,
Max

Offline Chairman

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • C
Re: Communicating with NPRs & Wormhole question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 02:01:20 AM »
I got them as visitours to, they do not want to speak to you, they want to kill you, so get alot of missile armed ships, with BIG missiles and wait till they get to you...  Make warships with alot of skin, more than 6 armor atleast, even if you got shields they are like Dennis the Menace(?), but they will not prank you...

I tried to kill them, my mibile fleet had ALOT of medium missiles, but I forgot one tiny detail when I designed them... Search radars.... :oops:

By the way you cant use the wormhole, atleast I couln´t find a way to enter it.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 04:12:25 AM »
These particular aliens are still a spoiler and are a special case you cannot have diplomacy with.

However in general NPR's have a tendency to survey your home system, the only way to stop them it to shoot them, but that does tend to end diplomacy. It is something that Steve is aware of but sorting out diplomacy is complicated . NPR's will also build jump gates, attempt to establish colonies and even send warships to patrol their commerce to your home system without being hostile , however once you blow all these up they get annoyed. Esssentially they do not recognise your (or anyone elses ) claims to a star system

Offline Maximillian (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 03:37:25 PM »
Quote from: "Andrew"
These particular aliens are still a spoiler and are a special case you cannot have diplomacy with.

...sorting out diplomacy is complicated. Esssentially they do not recognise your (or anyone elses ) claims to a star system

Civ2 had the same problem, IIRC. If I could accept it from the king of strategy games I can accept here. But I would strongly suggest to Steve that he hire all of Firaxis to work for him on Aurora. That would help smooth these things out. :)

I got lucky and didn't have to decide whether to use the information from the forums about those guys - My contact team just threw up their hands one day, decided that we would never be able to communicate, and the aliens automatically flipped to 'Hostile' somehow.

I'm a bit scared of them now, though, as it took 24 FAC armed with 20cm spinal-mount lasers an unreasonably long time to blow up a single 6000 ton survey ship of theirs.

Of course, less scared after a couple of 12800 ton ships jumped through the wormhole and Home Fleet was waiting for them.  Flushed half of the missile racks at them and the Standard-3s vaporized the enemy before the heavyweight missiles even got there.

I'm going to have to find a happy medium somehow.  :)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 06:40:16 PM »
Quote from: "Maximillian"
If so, what effect does [shooting] have on diplomacy?

Thanks,
Max

Each point of damage inflicted (on them) lowers their opinion of you by 1 point.  In addition, every increment that they're sensors can see you doing something they consider unfriendly (shooting at them, scanning their ships, being in a system they consider 'thiers', being within X range of one of their colonies) lowers their opinion of you - though the amount is modified (increased) by their Racial Xenophobia and (decreased) by your Racial Diplomacy.  I believe destroying a ship automatically drops you to hostile, if you would otherwise still be higher.

Though the wormhole aliens just want to kill and destroy all life as we know it, so you're pretty much hosed there, diplomacy-wise.

#:-]