Author Topic: Missing planets?  (Read 1399 times)

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
Missing planets?
« on: August 24, 2010, 12:19:25 PM »
I read that sometimes, a star's first planet is missing, because it's orbit was too close to the star after generation. That makes sense.
However, I notice now, that in quite a lot of systems, there's also planet numbers missing in between.
For instance, the system I just explored, has planets I, II, IV, V, VI, VII, IX, X and XV.
That means, III, VIII, XI, XII, XIII and XIV are missing.

III and VIII can be explained, as they have asteroid belts in their place. Which also makes sense.
But what stellar mechanism made the planets between X and XV go missing?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Missing planets?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 12:39:09 PM »
If the program determines that a shell is empty, the following planets do not get renumbered. As to why it leaves a shell empty, I have no idea.

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 03:17:12 PM »
Geez, I just found an extreme example of this:

The new system I discovered has it's outer planet at an orbital distance of 198b km (travel time more than 450 days at 5000km/s). The next planet is at only 5.6b km from it's star. Some asteroids outside of that planet's shell, but 'only' up to 58b km. Think this is the largest system I've seen so far.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 07:11:54 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
If the program determines that a shell is empty, the following planets do not get renumbered. As to why it leaves a shell empty, I have no idea.
There are several reasons, including being within the roche limit, proximity to a second star in the system or a temperature too high for the planet to survive.

Steve

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 07:21:32 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
There are several reasons, including being within the roche limit, proximity to a second star in the system or a temperature too high for the planet to survive.

Steve

I saw a show a couple weeks back talking about planets around extrasolar systems. They posited that a planet might orbit both stars of a close binary. So we going to see that? ;)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 07:30:53 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"

Steve

I saw a show a couple weeks back talking about planets around extrasolar systems. They posited that a planet might orbit both stars of a close binary. So we going to see that? ;)
That happens already. You will see planets in Aurora that orbit outside both stars of a binary.

Steve