Author Topic: VB6 Damage allocation for sequential hits  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Garfunkel (OP)

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
VB6 Damage allocation for sequential hits
« on: April 18, 2018, 12:16:58 PM »
Over at reddit.com/r/aurora4x we've been discussing this topic and have reached an impasse. Has anyone done the testing or has Steve posted the answer back in the mists of dawn to this question?

We have two WH4 missiles hitting a target at exactly the same location. My understanding is that it will look like this:

Kazuar01 says that it will look like this:

My understanding is that since the missile damage template is an inverse pyramid, it cannot create a two-layer deep column that is exactly the same width but Kazuar01 says that it does because VB6 does not calculate hits damage-point per damage-point but rather just applies the template and the damage "drops down" if an armour block has already been destroyed. At least that's who I understood his post, apologies if I am misrepresenting him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aurora4x/comments/8cunsj/how_do_multiple_strikes_against_armor_stack/
Is where the discussion originated.

There's a post by Steve on the C# changes thread that says how it will be in the new version but it's bit unclear how it was in vB6: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg107125#msg107125 hence this post.

Offline Shiwanabe

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Hrm, text can't drone
Re: VB6 Damage allocation for sequential hits
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 08:17:48 PM »
Each weapon's hit is applied completely separately with no regard for where previous damage has occurred.

This results in the damage Kazuar was referring to.

Well, to be more specific I suspect the damage is not applied to individual blocks but to the columns. Thus a 4 damage missile template would be more precisely displayed as: 1 2 1

So while the damage is applied one point at a time, there is no correlation between each point of damage.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 04:37:46 AM »
Each hit is completely independent of previous hits and is applied column by column, so the second example is correct.

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel

Offline Garfunkel (OP)

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 10:18:25 AM »
Thanks Steve. Kazuar01 went as far as to test it in-game so we got a definite answer already but it's always good to have Word of God to confirm it.