Author Topic: Ships of the Chamaran Hierarchy.  (Read 4150 times)

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Ships of the Chamaran Hierarchy.
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 03:27:12 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Quote from: "Bobarossa"
Quote from: "darkevilme"

Also Why in six years has my taskforce training not changed the task force training level ?

I'm pretty new (1st post) ,but I think I read that your task force must be commanded by a leader with a Training bonus.  Is that your problem?

I'm on my 5th try now and I think I'm finally figuring out how to design a ship that doesn't get crushed by its first alien encounter.  Loving the game's depth so far.

Bob

You also have to put it in "training" mode - there's a button on the 2nd (special orders) tab of the F12 screen.  Warning: training sucks down a lot of fuel, especially for GB/FAC.

John

Put GB & FACs in a carrier, and they train without fuel use (assuming that the carrier is in a training TG with an appropiate commander etc etc).  I often have carriers more or less permanantly training (except for the occasional overhaul and any necessary combat action) but changing out the embarked squadron on a regular basis.
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline darkevilme (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 10:37:47 AM »
As a result of the complete destruction of the Yok defences via the new MIRV missiles a full blown invasion was considered using recently designed troop transports.

Code: [Select]
Rampant R1 class Troop Transport    15000 tons     752 Crew     2860 BP      TCS 300  TH 420  EM 4500
4000 km/s     Armour 6-54     Shields 150-300     Sensors 22/16/0/0     Damage Control Rating 30     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 180%    IFR: 2.5%    Maint Capacity 1192 MSP    Max Repair 108 MSP    Est Time: 3.03 Years
Troop Capacity: 1 Battalion    Drop Capacity: 1 Battalion    

Internal Confinement Fusion Drive (12)    Power 100    Fuel Use 60%    Signature 35    Armour 1    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 650,000 Litres    Range 130.0 billion km   (376 days at full power)
Shield Grade 2 (50)   Total Fuel Cost  900 Litres per day

CIWS-160 (4x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 16000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Thermal Sensor TH2-22 (50%) (1)     Sensitivity 22     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  22m km
EM Detection Sensor Grade 1 (1)     Sensitivity 16     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  16m km

ECM 20

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

Landing of a small taskforce of six heavy assault battalions proceeded without trouble. The PDCs were destroyed by orbital bombardment so only the enemy military forces opposed our conquest. The battle lasted under two months and with minimal casualties our soldiers stand triumphant on an alien world. However despite their complete lack of military units, PDCs or orbiting fleets the Yok's refuse to surrender to their new feline overlords. So now we come to ask our wise council, why is this?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 11:24:35 AM »

Landing of a small taskforce of six heavy assault battalions proceeded without trouble. The PDCs were destroyed by orbital bombardment so only the enemy military forces opposed our conquest. The battle lasted under two months and with minimal casualties our soldiers stand triumphant on an alien world. However despite their complete lack of military units, PDCs or orbiting fleets the Yok's refuse to surrender to their new feline overlords. So now we come to ask our wise council, why is this?

Look at the F2 screen. Go to "Ground Units". There is a "Required Strength" and a "Actual Strength" at the top.
You have to have enough troops to keep the conquered supressed, or they will not accept your rule. Boots on the ground, man, boots on the ground  :)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline darkevilme (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 11:33:16 AM »
okay I've found what's screwy. Though its saying i dont need any troops to keep the population suppressed (required strength 0) a message is bouncing up saying. that 'General Ground attack on Yokohama-B II. No defending units are present and no garrisoned enemy PDCs remain in operation. Defence strength of available divisions is 94.1746. Required strength to force a surrender is 1047.

What. The. Hell. That's more combat strength than my empires entire ground army by a factor of 4. It'd take YEAARS to train up enough divisions to do that. Is this normal? is this sensible?  Is there a way to make them capitulate quicker than taking years to train up and deploy millions of my ground warriors to the planet?

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 01:19:53 PM »
okay I've found what's screwy. Though its saying i dont need any troops to keep the population suppressed (required strength 0) a message is bouncing up saying. that 'General Ground attack on Yokohama-B II. No defending units are present and no garrisoned enemy PDCs remain in operation. Defence strength of available divisions is 94.1746. Required strength to force a surrender is 1047.

What. The. Hell. That's more combat strength than my empires entire ground army by a factor of 4. It'd take YEAARS to train up enough divisions to do that. Is this normal? is this sensible?  Is there a way to make them capitulate quicker than taking years to train up and deploy millions of my ground warriors to the planet?

Can you tell how big the population is? If they have a billion or so souls then you are going to have to place a lot of garrison on the ground to keep them all in order. They also might have a high xenophobic rating which will up there resistance iirc.

You could lift your troops off and fire a couple dozen missiles at the planet to reduce the population and then try invading again. Just know that you will destroy structures and wreck the atmosphere for a bit!

Offline darkevilme (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »
Planetary EM signature for this world is 83k or so. I have no clue how many  people that means. Also can i bombard planets with railguns instead? would be cheaper. Or do i have to drop nukes only?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 06:19:10 PM »
Defence strength of available divisions is 94.1746. Required strength to force a surrender is 1047.

Aye, that's fairly average.

What. The. Hell. That's more combat strength than my empires entire ground army by a factor of 4.

Then your army's too small.  I don't mean to be facetious; conquering a populated world takes a significant number of troops.

It'd take YEAARS to train up enough divisions to do that.

Yes, which is why you should be training new ground units non-stop from the moment you start Aurora.  Especially since those conquering troops will need to stay on the ground for years as an occupying force, so they won't be available to conquer anywhere else for a few decades.

Is this normal?

Yes.

Is this sensible?

Yes, though Steve has 'revisit ground combat & occupation' on his to-do list for a future version.  Feel free to lobby for any changes you wish to see.

Is there a way to make them capitulate quicker than taking years to train up and deploy millions of my ground warriors to the planet?

Warships overhead give a bonus to the surrender roll, as do demonstration nuclear strikes.  Chuck enough missiles at them and they'll surrender - once the planet has become uninhabitable.  #:-[

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 08:18:55 PM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
Is there a way to make them capitulate quicker than taking years to train up and deploy millions of my ground warriors to the planet?

Warships overhead give a bonus to the surrender roll, as do demonstration nuclear strikes.  Chuck enough missiles at them and they'll surrender - once the planet has become uninhabitable.  #:-[

In case you're wondering, this is an intentional design choice by Steve.  One of the tactics/exploits in Starfire was to wipe out the population of a habitable planet and then move your colonists in the next month.  Steve wanted to make it difficult to take over enemy real estate in a way that wasn't expensive.

John

Offline darkevilme (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 03:06:13 AM »
Okay we went to plan B. We relocated our troops to the moon then dropped nukes until the aliens surrendered. Though this required killing all but a billion aliens, destroying all planetary structures and likely killing a few hundred million more in the next few months due to radiation. Once the bombing stopped we moved half our army back down and this seems to keep them suppressed now they're pummeled into submission.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2010, 08:38:43 AM »
Also to note:
Organize your ground troops into divisions with division and brigade HQs. The combat bonus from the leaders of those HQs stack with those of the battalion leaders. Imagine a 30% bonus Division HQ leader, a 25% brigade leader and a 20% battalion leader, this provides a total of 75% boost in combat power (assuming the boni are just added up)
Then research ground combat rates. Going from the basic rate 10 to 16 is rather cheap and gives another 60% increase.

For a 2+ billion alien homeworld, I had to throw one and a halve assault divisions (12 Heavy Assault, 12 Assault Infantry), a full Infantry Division (16 mobile Infantry) and a couple of garrison battalions at them to force a surrender. This with the bulk of my fleet in orbit (some 40 warships of 6.000 to 15.000t)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2010, 09:11:39 AM »
Note that conquering population only considers your units' Defense strength - so Assault Infantry are half as good as Garrison battalions at 'occupation', whereas Heavy Assault are only 20% better and three times the price.  In short, once the fighting is over ship in a hefty garrison and pull out your combat troops.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2010, 02:53:14 PM »
Conquer a "REAL" entire world r an absolute crazyest oversize costs,in grounds troops and money terms.

A incredible "novel" about this are a superb "Invasion" 6-books series.

Dozens millions soldiers,decades in combat and never sure to wins.
an "PLANET" aint a simple task to conquer.

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2010, 03:53:14 PM »
Quote from: "waresky"
Conquer a "REAL" entire world r an absolute crazyest oversize costs,in grounds troops and money terms.

A incredible "novel" about this are a superb "Invasion" 6-books series.

Dozens millions soldiers,decades in combat and never sure to wins.
an "PLANET" aint a simple task to conquer.
Waresky, do you have an ISBN or an author? The title is a bit to generic to goggle it.

Also, is it in english?