Author Topic: Tugging Terraforming Fleets Around  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Feeble (OP)

• Petty Officer
Tugging Terraforming Fleets Around
« on: June 10, 2020, 10:39:02 PM »
Scenario: I have two fleets, the Tug Fleet and the Terraformer Fleet. I am moving the Terraformer Fleet using the Tug Fleet, this is so that I can use the engines of the Tug Fleet to move other fleets around (e.g Orbital Miner Fleet). The Terraformer Fleet is under an Industrial Admin Command, while the Tug Fleet is under a Logistics Admin Command.

My question is this: How do I tug around the Terraformer Fleet's ships (sic space stations) without removing them from the fleet that they are a part of and possibly losing said fleet? I thought maybe I would have the Tug Fleet join as a subfleet in order to move the parent fleet, then detach when done, but I can't have fleets target themselves. Is there a work around or do I have to live with the micromanagement?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:50:24 PM by Feeble »

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
Re: Tugging Terraforming Fleets Around
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 10:59:31 PM »
Scenario: I have two fleets, the Tug Fleet and the Terraformer Fleet. I am moving the Terraformer Fleet using the Tug Fleet, this is so that I can use the engines of the Tug Fleet to move other fleets around (e.g Orbital Miner Fleet). The Terraformer Fleet is under an Industrial Admin Command, while the Tug Fleet is under a Logistics Admin Command.

My question is this: How do I tug around the Terraformer Fleet's ships (sic space stations) without removing them from the fleet that they are a part of and possibly losing said fleet? I thought maybe I would have the Tug Fleet join as a subfleet in order to move the parent fleet, then detach when done, but I can't have fleets target themselves. Is there a work around or do I have to live with the micromanagement?
Any time you tow a ship it gets removed from its existing fleet.  This is required to prevent major breakage if there is more than one ship in the origin fleet.

Suppose you have a group of terraformers in Fleet1 that you want to move to Titan.  What you need to do is create a new fleet at Titan called Fleet2 in your Industrial Command and then give the following orders to the tug:
Tractor Any Ship -> Fleet 1
Release Tractored Ships -> Fleet 2
Then check Cycle Moves.

The following users thanked this post: UberWaffe, Fistandantillus7, Feeble

Offline Feeble (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 11:19:18 PM »

Any time you tow a ship it gets removed from its existing fleet.  This is required to prevent major breakage if there is more than one ship in the origin fleet.

Suppose you have a group of terraformers in Fleet1 that you want to move to Titan.  What you need to do is create a new fleet at Titan called Fleet2 in your Industrial Command and then give the following orders to the tug:
Tractor Any Ship -> Fleet 1
Release Tractored Ships -> Fleet 2
Then check Cycle Moves.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you! In effect, I'll just always have two fleets in the admin command, one to move around and the other to act as a holding fleet. Not perfect, but a lot better than how I was doing it before.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 11:21:43 PM by Feeble »

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 12:26:05 AM »
Do not forget to include refueling task to a tug's task list before clicking Cycle Orders.
Also it's sometimes useful to have tugs in industrial commands, to tug detached terraformers and miners. Tags are not affected by Logistical Bonuses, so the only problem is to do not forget that you have those tugs there.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage