Author Topic: v5.56/v5.60 Official Bugs Thread  (Read 64450 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
v5.56/v5.60 Official Bugs Thread
« on: December 27, 2011, 07:11:04 AM »
Please post confirmed bugs for v5.56 or v5.60 in this thread and state which of the two versions you are using. However, please read the guidelines below on reporting bugs before posting.

Bug Reporting Guidelines

Steve
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 10:56:43 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline ndkid

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • n
Re: v5.56/v5.60 Official Bugs Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:11:57 PM »
I copied the v5.60 files into my directory (it was on v5.55) previously. Went to create a new game. Conventional, starting year 2100, 10 Research Facilities, US Themes, 2 computer-controlled NPRs, everything else left at default. Went through the two information dialogs during setup, then got:
Error in SetupNPRClasses

Error 3265 was generated by DAO.Fields
Item not found in this collection.

There were, say, a half-dozen of those errors before finally getting the game-setup-complete dialog and being returned to the Game Details Window.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 12:21:19 PM »
I copied the v5.60 files into my directory (it was on v5.55) previously. Went to create a new game. Conventional, starting year 2100, 10 Research Facilities, US Themes, 2 computer-controlled NPRs, everything else left at default. Went through the two information dialogs during setup, then got:
There were, say, a half-dozen of those errors before finally getting the game-setup-complete dialog and being returned to the Game Details Window.

I've found the problem and I'll get the DB updated in the patch file. It shouldn't affect your game though if you want to continue.

Steve

Offline ndkid

• n
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 12:22:02 PM »
Cool! Thanks, Steve.

Offline ndkid

• n
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 01:13:01 PM »
I can never tell if this is a bug or a WAD, but I keep noticing it.

The Construction Queue does not seem to use excess construction on items in the queue if the time increment is greater than that needed to finish the item currently being worked on. This does not match up with the research queue, which seems to calculate the amount of research generated, and then applies it to the queue.

In case that was too opaque, let me try an example. Assume I generate 1000 CP and 1000 RP in a 30-day increment. I have all of my construction currently going toward a research facility which needs 200 more CP; after that, I have a Sector Command queued up. On the research side, I have an engine needing 200 more RP, with nifty new laser tech queued up after that.

If I increment 30 days, the end results seems to be that while my engine tech has finished and 800 RP has been applied to the laser tech, and my research facility has been finished, but the excess CPs disappeared into the ether; no work has been applied to the Sector Command.

Offline SpecialK

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »
I'm admittedly playing in Wine at the moment (away from home), but every year or two I seem to get these errors.    .    .     5.  60, new game.   

Error in CreateGameLog
Error 429 was generated by Aurora
ActiveX component can't create object

---

Error in CreateGameLog
Error 424 was generated by Aurora
Object required

---

The second error repeats until I quit the game, but doesn't repeat once I restart the game.   The error seems to happen consistently every time the year number flips (e. g.  1 December 1964 / click 30 days / 1 January 1965 ) -- the time increment is reflected in the logs, so I'll see "1st January 1965 / Last Time Increment 2592000 seconds (30:00:00:00)" twice. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:16:56 PM by SpecialK »

Offline Catty Nebulart

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 06:29:55 PM »
I'm admittedly playing in Wine at the moment (away from home), but every year or two I seem to get these errors.    .    .     5.  60, new game.   

Error in CreateGameLog
Error 429 was generated by Aurora
ActiveX component can't create object

---

Error in CreateGameLog
Error 424 was generated by Aurora
Object required

---

The second error repeats until I quit the game, but doesn't repeat once I restart the game.   The error seems to happen consistently every time the year number flips (e. g.  1 December 1964 / click 30 days / 1 January 1965 ) -- the time increment is reflected in the logs, so I'll see "1st January 1965 / Last Time Increment 2592000 seconds (30:00:00:00)" twice. 

It's a known issue with the linux version, there is some wine workaround but I don't remember what it was. The trigger seems to be when your commanders get reassigned.

Offline SpecialK

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 07:04:18 PM »
Quote from: Catty Nebulart link=topic=4487. msg44978#msg44978 date=1325204995
It's a known issue with the linux version, there is some wine workaround but I don't remember what it was.  The trigger seems to be when your commanders get reassigned.
Thanks, it actually happens every year even though I've got automatic officer reassignment turned off.  I'll look around for a fix.

Offline Shemar

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 08:50:08 PM »
I have tracked down the "Error in qrtSorted_SelChange: Error 30009 was generated by MSFlexgrid.  Invalid Row Value" in the Leaders screen.

It happens when the leader selected on the right (using the search section) is the top one displayed on the left (rank seniority), but only if the particular rank was not the one displayed before.

Steps to reproduce, assuming you have at least one Vice Admiral otherwise use lower ranks:
- Select Vice Admiral in the Ranks and Seniority section and if you have more than one make a mental note of the top ranking one's name.
- Search by Rear Admirals or higher.
- Select any Rear Admiral.  If by any chance you selected the most senior you will get th error, otherwise you will not.
- Select the most senior Vice Admiral.  You will get the error for sure.

The error may not occur is the officers are not assigned to commands.  I have not checked.

I can confirm that the bug I reported above still exists in 5.56.

Further observations: The bug does not occur if the commander in quastion is unassigned and it also does not occur if the "Eligible Only" check box is checked. So to replicate the bug the commander must be assigned to a command AND the "Eligible Only" check box must be OFF.

Hopefully this new info will help track it down! Based on the new information the obvious workaround is to keep the "Eligible Only" box checked.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 07:57:33 AM »
I can confirm that the bug I reported above still exists in 5.56.

Further observations: The bug does not occur if the commander in quastion is unassigned and it also does not occur if the "Eligible Only" check box is checked. So to replicate the bug the commander must be assigned to a command AND the "Eligible Only" check box must be OFF.

Hopefully this new info will help track it down! Based on the new information the obvious workaround is to keep the "Eligible Only" box checked.

Thanks for the extra info. I am going away for a few days so I'll tackle this when I get back (on Jan 3rd)

Steve

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 07:17:33 PM »
v5.60 Trans Newtonian.  Starting ground forces have unit types that have not been researched yet.  This was previously reported in the v5.50 bugs thread.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline backstab

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 08:20:29 PM »
v5.60 Trans Newtonian.  Starting ground forces have unit types that have not been researched yet.  This was previously reported in the v5.50 bugs thread.

Ditto ... I can confirm this.  Makes it hard to expand Conventional Armies.
Move foward and draw fire

Offline jRides

• j
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 10:30:06 PM »
v5.60 - I'm unsure if this is intended or there is a new prerequisite, but Expand Civilian Economy by 20% is unavailable past the first level (10000rp).

I tried a fresh install and it works fine now.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 01:55:10 PM by jRides »

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 05:07:05 AM »
v5.60 - I'm unsure if this is intended or there is a new prerequisite, but Expand Civilian Economy by 20% is unavailable past the first level (10000rp).
Once you research the 10000rp level use the buttons below the research screen to choose show all techs.  This includes anything not researched and will show pre-requisites as well.  See if that helps anser the question.

Brian

Offline SpecialK

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 05:54:57 PM »
At game start, if you select more than 1 shipyard in the 'New Game' screen, you still only get one shipyard. Windows 7, Conventional empire.