Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358167 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3855 on: March 27, 2024, 09:41:08 PM »
I’m currently standing 95m km off an alien occupied planet which is in range of my passive, active and thermal scanners which can see 100m km - I’m trying to avoid his 90m km range missiles

I’ve been there 6 months now - at what point should I be receiving intel on the planet and population or do I need to get closer?

It is possible - especially if the aliens are spoilers - that you cannot gain passive intel if the alien race is sufficiently xenophobic.

The following users thanked this post: undercovergeek

Offline undercovergeek

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • u
« Reply #3856 on: March 27, 2024, 11:45:19 PM »
Ah that may explain it

Close my eyes and invade?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3857 on: March 27, 2024, 11:52:43 PM »
You should be getting updates in less than 12 months. But as Nuclearslurpee said, spoilers might not give you anything and even a normal NPR with a really high xenophobia will not reveal much. So wait a little longer if you're not in a hurry, otherwise invade.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3858 on: March 28, 2024, 09:44:32 AM »
It sounds like you are using EM, and Thermal passives, these will never give any information other than the Thermal/EM signature of the population and ships present. Many spopilers will have no planatery EM or Thermal signature or only one of around 10. IF you have a large EM/Thermal singature in the thousands or more you have a real NPR population. To get passive intelligence gathering you need ELINT Modules with a long enough detection range against the EM Signature.
With active sensors you can get the tonnage of ships and ground forces (the ground forces tends to be an understimate if they are dug in) however it is almost certain your long range active sensors are useless. You need to be able to detect very small targets, long range sensors with high resolutions do not detect resolution 1 contacts except at point blank range. You probably do not have a Res 1 sensor with a 100 million km range if you do , please tell me how big it is and what techs you have for active sensors as I want to be impressed!
So to get the ground forces signature you have to be close.  A missile with an active sensor could spot them but I doubt it would get close enough without being shot down.
Once  you have the ground forces on Actives you will not be able to identify the amount of STO weapons until they open fire.

Offline undercovergeek

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • u
« Reply #3859 on: March 29, 2024, 06:03:27 AM »
This is the ship doing the recon -

U2 class Reconnaissance Craft      8,595 tons       222 Crew       1,512.9 BP       TCS 172    TH 960    EM 0
5585 km/s      Armour 5-37       Shields 0-0       HTK 25      Sensors 180/200/0/0      DCR 1-1      PPV 0
Maint Life 1.50 Years     MSP 2,610    AFR 591%    IFR 8.2%    1YR 1,309    5YR 19,633    Max Repair 480 MSP
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 12 months    Morale Check Required   

Macrinus Aeromarine Magneto-plasma Drive  EP960.00 (1)    Power 960    Fuel Use 82.67%    Signature 960    Explosion 15%
Fuel Capacity 1,000,000 Litres    Range 25.3 billion km (52 days at full power)

Ortan Sensor Systems U2 Active Search Sensor AS114-R100 (1)     GPS 24000     Range 114.7m km    Resolution 100
Damiel Sensor Systems U2 Thermal Sensor TH30-180 (1)     Sensitivity 180     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  106.1m km
Ortan Sensor Systems U2 Spy Sensor EM Sensor EM25-200 (1)     Sensitivity 200     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  111.8m km

Electronic Warfare Jammers:   Sensor 2    Fire Control 2   

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Scout for auto-assignment purposes

sat 100km away from the planet

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3860 on: March 29, 2024, 07:48:31 AM »
To explain what I mean about sensor capabilities I include a random selection of sensors I put on a sample ship

Aru Sensor Systems Active Search Sensor AS199-R100 (1)     GPS 32400     Range 200m km    Resolution 100

This is a long range active sensor similar to yours, at long range it will detect a 5000 ton ship at 200 million km, however it will only spot a 500 ton ship at 8 m km and a 50 ton contact (like ground forces) at 500k km. So your ship at 100m km will only detect 5000 ton or larger ships. This occures as soon as the ship is in range waiting makes no difference , you will never see smaller contacts unless they come closer

EM Sensor EM15-270 (1)     Sensitivity 270     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  129.9m km
Thermal Sensor TH15-270 (1)     Sensitivity 270     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  129.9m km
These two passive sensors are similar they will detect a signature of 1000 at very long range, they will detect a signature of 100 at about 40m km and 10 at less than that. Again time makes no difference either you have a contact or not.
For reference Earth in my current game has a thermal signature of about 50,000 and EM about 150,000. The automated mining outpost on the moon has both signatures of around 500, a simple deep space tracking outpost has around 10

ELINT Module (15)     Sensitivity 165     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  101.6m km
These work like the EM sensor for detection, but slowly if they spend a long time detecting a colony you will get occassional intelligence information(random information about colonies, systems or technology) These ELINT systems are relativly huge each of these 15 modules is 500 tons. I almost never use  ELINT so I can't help with any information on how fast they pick up things or exactly what the limits on what they find are

Hope thats helpful

Offline undercovergeek

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • u
« Reply #3861 on: March 29, 2024, 10:17:53 AM »
thats great thanks - the thing that keeps firing 38 missiles at me has a tonnage of 15k but speed of 0 so i guess its just in orbit around the planet

im try and failing to produce a two stage missile i can launch from 100m km then i can get closer - experiments with missile ranges continue!

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #3862 on: March 29, 2024, 01:16:40 PM »
I have Mars invaded by enemy ground troops who destroyed my garrison, however I still see it as normal, with the entire infrastructure and population on its place, what's going on there?

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #3863 on: March 29, 2024, 01:53:33 PM »
At a guess, you might have enough population there that the invaders don't have enough occupation forces.

The event text (for when I took out the army defending a planet with 1.3 billion population) was:
"Enemy forces on 38 Scorpii-A II have been defeated but the population refuses to surrender. Current occupation strength is 600. Required strength to force surrender is 746."

As a note, the occupation strength will slowly climb, so even if they don't put more troops there; if you don't do something about it, Mars will still surrender eventually.

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3864 on: March 30, 2024, 01:52:38 AM »
So I just discovered that fighters/shuttles in Boat bays rewind clock as in overhaul? This is mightily practical!

Offline undercovergeek

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • u
« Reply #3865 on: March 30, 2024, 02:33:35 AM »
Having ignored the shield and shield regen tech I have been amazed to engage a target with 80 missiles in 15 unit salvos which have all managed to reduce the shields to 0 only to see the shields regen before the next salvo hits - should have brought more ships!!

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #3866 on: March 30, 2024, 11:44:43 AM »
Yeah, strong shields can be quite a problem for slow-cycle missile volleys. (Which are in most respects preferred since they're best at overwhelming defenses.)

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3867 on: March 31, 2024, 08:45:22 AM »
I have a fleet made of 2 shuttles, one with a fighter refueling system (tagged as tanker), the other is a grav survey shuttle. If I target a point in space and ask for refuel from my own tanker, nothing happens. If I split the fleet and ask the refueling shuttle to target the other one with "refuel stationary fleet", it works. I'm confused.

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #3868 on: March 31, 2024, 04:07:10 PM »
I've run into a really strange issue: for some reason I can't set any relations to Hostile or Neutral, the options just aren't listed. If I set the diplomacy rating high enough it'll list Friendly and Allied as options, but no matter what I set it to it doesn't list Hostile or Neutral for any race. I don't want to report it as a bug because I have been messing around with the database a bit, but I don't think I changed anything significant, and I can't find anything that could cause this. Any ideas?

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3869 on: March 31, 2024, 04:16:12 PM »
No idea . It has happened to me in some games and then in other games started from the same database the options are there