Author Topic: All the Flags but with Names Instead of Numbers  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Father Tim (OP)

• Vice Admiral
All the Flags but with Names Instead of Numbers
« on: May 06, 2020, 03:01:52 AM »
Now that Aurora will load any image from the Flags folder, regardless of name, I prefer to correctly label all my flags.

So I did that.

Note, if you replace all the numbered flags then Aurora will throw a couple errors upon start.  Clicking them away will cause no long term harm, but if it bugs you go ahead and leave flags in use.

- - - - -

PLEASE NOTE:  Various 'Flags of Extremism' are included, but all of them are labeled starting with "####" so they can easily be deleted.

Provincial / State / Prefecture and a few city flags are included, prefaced by their country name.  Likewise, various historical and anti-governmental flags are prefaced by country.

Finally, a dozen or so fictitious, future, and/or speculative flags are included.  No original artists are credited for these, as I couldn't find the information, so if you would like your work removed from the file please let me know.

- - - - -

Again, 90% of these flags are already in Aurora's Flags folder, this file is simply a renaming of them.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 11:57:46 AM by Father Tim »

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5, Garfunkel, Rich.h, SpikeTheHobbitMage, db48x, Rye123, Zap0, Pedroig, Second Foundationer

Offline SevenOfCarina

• Lieutenant
Re: All the Flags but with Names Instead of Numbers
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 07:00:55 AM »
You mislabeled the flag of Niger as 'India-simplified'. I appreciate the effort though.

Offline Father Tim (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 07:44:59 AM »
Whoops.

Fixed now.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 03:44:57 AM »
Very handy indeed.

I'm curious how you managed to identify them all, some are quite 'niche' !!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 03:46:56 AM by vorpal+5 »

Offline Father Tim (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 06:40:59 AM »
Very handy indeed.

I'm curious how you managed to identify them all, some are quite 'niche' !!

Countries were easy, and wikipedia entries for the history of certain flags (and their alternates) filled quite a few gaps.  Once I spotted a particular flag (say, 333) as being a US state or Japanese prefecture it gave me a place to search for 334, 335, etc. because the folks that originally contributed them did so in batches.

After that, Google image search plus multiple refinements of search terms plus visiting the web pages where the images appeared and searching by eye for the flags.

- - - - -

Oh, and several times going back and fixing my mistakes.  I had two Guernsey and no Jersey for a while.

Offline rainyday

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 07:07:58 PM »
These are great. I noticed two possible corrections:

The flag you have labeled "Mars - Free Mars" is the Martian Congressional Republic from The Expanse.

The flag you have labeled "Germany - Baden-Wurttemberg" is probably a lot more famously the flag of the Austrian Empire. Given how many people around here like to play 19th century in space that's more likely to be what they are looking for.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, Rye123

Offline Father Tim (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 11:55:29 AM »
MCR flag fixed.

Technically, it's the flag of the Hapsburgs, which is why it proliferates around that region.  Relabelled as suggested, since one of my goals is to eliminate duplicate flags.